GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Driver Gear/VWR Spring Thread

northskate

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the information guys. Its a bummer though. I would like a set of lowering springs, but even the Eibach pro kit springs are a bit too low. I wish there was an option made to work in conjunction with the GTIs stock shocks while lowering the height by 0.50" to 0.75".

Thats why I bought these

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11470

Should have them this week and installed by next week.
I will write a review on my post.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thank you for the information guys. Its a bummer though. I would like a set of lowering springs, but even the Eibach pro kit springs are a bit too low. I wish there was an option made to work in conjunction with the GTIs stock shocks while lowering the height by 0.50" to 0.75".

Like Jason3d said....then these are the springs that you want. They are designed to work with the stock struts/shocks!

Progressive "can" be softer...but it's only at first and then they get stiffer. You hit a huge bump with a progressive spring...you're going to feel lit.
Linear spring not so much.

They probably picked linear springs to keep it like the OEM setup, but just with a reduced ride height.

Honestly, IMO, the DriverGear springs drive/ride nicer than the stock springs.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Dan, how does the ride of the Driver Gear Eibach's compare to the Pro-Kits? I've always had progressive springs on previous cars. Curious how the linear springs feel in comparison. Are the spring rates similar between the 2 springs? I love the idea of keeping it OEM and under warranty.

I have no idea about the spring rates.
Eibach didn't include a sheet with the springs stating what they were, and the DriverGear springs sheet is in German, lol.

I prefer the predictability of the linear springs to be honest. And you can totally feel the difference the rear sway bar makes with the linear springs...seriously. The car feels tighter/firmer (in a good way).
Rides better than stock too.

The Pro-Kit (w/stock shocks) rode like a dream on smooth roads. But when it got bumpy...the ride sucked & got very rough/bouncy.

With the DriverGear springs...it's a nice ride all the time IMO

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
Verrrry interesting....

I think it's kind of crazy how much the prokit lowers our gti's - I've never seen prokit's give that kind of drop on other cars (usually its more similar to the drivergear drop).

Dan - What finger gap was the prokit vs the driver gear? Drivergear looks like 2.5 or so? Whereas prokit was 1.5 or very tight 2?

The drop reminds me of euro springs / bilstein sports I had on my 04 R32.

artargyle

Ready to race!
vw driver gear springs for 2011 car?

Do you think it's likely the VW DriverGear springs will be work w/ the 2011 GTI too? I have a 11' 4door GTI DSG & like the sound of this spring?OE strut combo.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Verrrry interesting....

I think it's kind of crazy how much the prokit lowers our gti's - I've never seen prokit's give that kind of drop on other cars (usually its more similar to the drivergear drop).

Dan - What finger gap was the prokit vs the driver gear? Drivergear looks like 2.5 or so? Whereas prokit was 1.5 or very tight 2?

The drop reminds me of euro springs / bilstein sports I had on my 04 R32.

Pro-Kit on a MK6 is A LOT lower than the Pro-Kit on a MK5 (for reference)

Pro-Kit was a 1 finger gap

DriverGear is a 2 finger gap

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Any Pictures of it settled.

This may be to much to ask but if you measure from the ground to the top of the fender what is the measurement vs stock.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Any Pictures of it settled.

This may be to much to ask but if you measure from the ground to the top of the fender what is the measurement vs stock.

I was coming back to this thread to ask the same question. Any new pics? Curious if it's settled any more since it's been a couple weeks.

Have you come across any others who have done Driver Gear springs yet?

RPS99SHO

Ready to race!
Got mine installed yesterday. I will wait a bit to take pics as it's fairly obvious settling will happen. But the front is clearly lower than the rear. I heart rake so it's not a problem for me.

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
this is looking like a good option for me. i'm not looking for a huge drop and i don't like progressive springs. would like to see some springs rates for stock springs vs. the drivers gear and actual measurements of the drop...

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I went to the Keffer website and it specifically says these springs are not for the GTI. What is the deal with that?

Description

Sport Suspension Springs lowers the standard center of gravity of the vehicle without sacrificing comfort. High dynamic load capacity. Sporty look. High quality corrosion protection. Fits: 2dr (TDI) 2.0 CR TDI Automatic. Not for vehicles equipped with factory lowered sport suspension (GTI).