GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 Stage 1 ECU Reflash - need some questions answered - GIAC / APR

ltf

Looking into getting a reflash in the next few months, however am debating which company to go with.

GIAC is really close to me. APR is about 40-50 miles away. Right now I'm leaning towards GIAC but...

I definitely see the benefit of the 91/93 octane tunes that comes with the APR. I've looked but can't seem to find if there's programs like this for GIAC. Is there something like this for GIAC? Or does this not matter that much? If someone could explain in detail it would be great, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Also, I know stage two for 2011's hasn't come out yet, but does GIAC even have a stage 2 program for 2010 or anything? Again I can't seem to find it.

Also if anyone can sway me one way or the other with legitimate information then that would be good. I've done research by myself but I think ultimately it comes down to experience so I'd like to hear people's experiences with it.

Thanks.

ltf

alilbitanuthin

Passed Driver's Ed
Can't go wrong with either. Both are pretty much gonna give you simiilar gains and reliability. If you think the program switching important, go for APR. I like the idea of switchable progs (especially 100 oct ;) ) and APR's motorsport experience with our cars was a plus. So far loving it, stg 1 really does transform the car.

DSMconvert1

Ready to race!
Can not go wrong with either:thumbup:

I had GIAC on my MKV FSI car and it was a joy. My MKVI is running APR 93 octane and I love it. I am amazed how smooth the power is!!!

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
To be honest to save you your time and to help reasure that you make the best choice I would chose APR. Reason being is with personal experience from them they have a very good customer service. Always someone to answer my questions. You will have peace of mind because of their lockout feature and switching modes is super easy! If you ever do end up wanting to upgrade to stage 2 APR will do it for free! I'm not just an APR fanboy but I do like APR for so many reasons. They have a very large group of people who have their products and can relate to all your questions and excitement. VW gave them cars to modify and if you want good deals you can ask your local APR dealer at least mine at EP Werks does. Ian Baas is a great guy. People say APR is pricey, I don't think so. Ian is giving me 100 off a fully loaded ecu with free install just because i'm buying the intake to go with it. So just ask around your shops and see what the best deal is that you can get from them. APR for the way!

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
APR will have their 2011 software cracked hopefully soon. From what i've asked and heard they are aiming for early February so be patient just a few more weeks! The wait will be worth the wait :)

ataman

Ready to race!
APR will have their 2011 software cracked hopefully soon. From what i've asked and heard they are aiming for early February so be patient just a few more weeks! The wait will be worth the wait :)

Hope so! It will be right around when I get my GTI...

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
Hope so! It will be right around when I get my GTI...

Well perfect timing for getting your gti lol. While the rest of us 2011 owners went through the pain of waiting haha. Hope you enjoy your car.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
^^^I love every single one of your past rides lol

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^^^I love every single one of your past rides lol

:laugh: thanks! I did too! :w00t:

As far as release dates for 2011's, Revo dealers should be good by Feb. 1st. Nothing official from APR or GIAC yet.

Yeah the switcher seems pretty cool. I bought a used one from someone on here and it's kind of dented, hope it still works lol. I'll know in a month or so.

That's pretty neat. Definitely something to consider. let us know how it goes and your impressions :thumbsup:

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
^^which one was your favorite? Any kid growing up would give their left nut just to have one of your past rides lol.

untangle

Ready to race!
Data

What do you base this prediction on?

Bob

omerkm11

Ready to race!
Looking into getting a reflash in the next few months, however am debating which company to go with.

GIAC is really close to me. APR is about 40-50 miles away. Right now I'm leaning towards GIAC but...

I definitely see the benefit of the 91/93 octane tunes that comes with the APR. I've looked but can't seem to find if there's programs like this for GIAC. Is there something like this for GIAC? Or does this not matter that much? If someone could explain in detail it would be great, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Also, I know stage two for 2011's hasn't come out yet, but does GIAC even have a stage 2 program for 2010 or anything? Again I can't seem to find it.

Also if anyone can sway me one way or the other with legitimate information then that would be good. I've done research by myself but I think ultimately it comes down to experience so I'd like to hear people's experiences with it.

Thanks.

ltf

I was the first GIAC flashed mk6 in Oregon. I have been really happy with the performance throughout the 15k miles it has been used.

You cant clear codes with the GIAC handheld unit, just change the different programs you bought with the pump flash. If you bought ONLY a flash, you would NOT be able to switch back to stock. GIAC charges extra for that, along with the fee for the hand held device and then if you want valet, 100+ octane files or whatever else. Unless you buy during a sale, I think that APR is less $$$.

I am happy to answer any questions about the flash or anything else GIAC related. You can find all the tunes they have available for the mk6 at: http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=619

FYI - They show a flash for the 2011 GTI, but its the euro version with the lower level security ECU.

omerkm11

Ready to race!
What do you base this prediction on?

Bob

Bob - there was a thread started, probably that Revo 2011 thread where someone posted that APR was looking at a early Feb release. The info most likely came from there. No one really knows I dont think....