GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 Stage 1 ECU Reflash - need some questions answered - GIAC / APR

untangle

Ready to race!
Bob - there was a thread started, probably that Revo 2011 thread where someone posted that APR was looking at a early Feb release. The info most likely came from there. No one really knows I dont think....

OK, cool. Thanks.

Bob

untangle

Ready to race!
You cant clear codes with the GIAC handheld unit, just change the different programs you bought with the pump flash. If you bought ONLY a flash, you would NOT be able to switch back to stock. GIAC charges extra for that, along with the fee for the hand held device

This is essentially Revo's description too. You can also invoke an anti-theft mode through ODBC.

Bob

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^^which one was your favorite? Any kid growing up would give their left nut just to have one of your past rides lol.

I don't even have them all listed :lol: I went through about 20 cars in 15 years of driving. Overall favorites are probably the Supra, 911, and the Z51 C6.

I was the first GIAC flashed mk6 in Oregon. I have been really happy with the performance throughout the 15k miles it has been used.

You cant clear codes with the GIAC handheld unit, just change the different programs you bought with the pump flash. If you bought ONLY a flash, you would NOT be able to switch back to stock. GIAC charges extra for that, along with the fee for the hand held device and then if you want valet, 100+ octane files or whatever else. Unless you buy during a sale, I think that APR is less $$$.

I am happy to answer any questions about the flash or anything else GIAC related. You can find all the tunes they have available for the mk6 at: http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=619

FYI - They show a flash for the 2011 GTI, but its the euro version with the lower level security ECU.

Interesting, so they don't have a full flash with security out for the 2011 yet? I do like the handheld, as I've run a few with my Subaru's in the past and really liked the convenience, however that is too bad they don't offer code clearing like Cobb does.

omerkm11

Ready to race!
Interesting, so they don't have a full flash with security out for the 2011 yet? I do like the handheld, as I've run a few with my Subaru's in the past and really liked the convenience, however that is too bad they don't offer code clearing like Cobb does.

No one offers real code clearing capabilities. APR has some CEL delete features based mostly around running a catless downpipe I think. They can correct me if I am wrong.

I have had a couple of TPMS issues but never a real CEL after getting the GIAC flash. They did a good job, APR does as well, in getting the flash 100% finished before selling it to anyone....

No one has a 2011 GTI flash yet. There are a couple of threads running about the differences in ECU security between the US market 2010 and 2011 GTI's. The Euro's all get the 2010, ME7 or something, in the 2011 GTI's.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
No one offers real code clearing capabilities. APR has some CEL delete features based mostly around running a catless downpipe I think. They can correct me if I am wrong.

I have had a couple of TPMS issues but never a real CEL after getting the GIAC flash. They did a good job, APR does as well, in getting the flash 100% finished before selling it to anyone....

No one has a 2011 GTI flash yet. There are a couple of threads running about the differences in ECU security between the US market 2010 and 2011 GTI's. The Euro's all get the 2010, ME7 or something, in the 2011 GTI's.

So much misinformation. Let me just say that Revo has announced their flash for the 2011 GTI. It will be available at dealers on Feb 1.

untangle

Ready to race!
The 2011 Revo tune is real

So much misinformation. Let me just say that Revo has announced their flash for the 2011 GTI. It will be available at dealers on Feb 1.

Really real - incl on-the-fly program switching. I've been running a test file....

Bob

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
Really real - incl on-the-fly program switching. I've been running a test file....

Bob

Damn Bob, You go from the neuspeed debocle to having a Revo test file to a tune that is not "out" yet, I guess thats carma hooking a brother up. How do you like the revo tune?

JP

untangle

Ready to race!
How do you like it so far? Smooth...like OEM?

I really like it. In fact, it totally transforms the car - when you want it to.

In normal ops in "D" the only thing one notices is that the DSG seems to be up-shifting at a more rapid rate (for some reason). LOL.

Chris (Revo) and I agreed that a detailed review of pre-production test code would be inappropriate. So I can't say much else.

If I can get to a Revo shop, I'll have production code (incl Stage II) next week.

But I do recommend getting the SPS device. This will allow you to switch programs (91, 93, 100, Stage II, etc.) quite easily.

Bob

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I really like it. In fact, it totally transforms the car - when you want it to.

In normal ops in "D" the only thing one notices is that the DSG seems to be up-shifting at a more rapid rate (for some reason). LOL.

Chris (Revo) and I agreed that a detailed review of pre-production test code would be inappropriate. So I can't say much else.

If I can get to a Revo shop, I'll have production code (incl Stage II) next week.

But I do recommend getting the SPS device. This will allow you to switch programs (91, 93, 100, Stage II, etc.) quite easily.

Bob

Holding out on us! Haha. Good for you.

untangle

Ready to race!
Damn Bob, You go from the neuspeed debocle to having a Revo test file to a tune that is not "out" yet, I guess thats carma hooking a brother up. How do you like the revo tune?

Kharma is a beautiful thing. LOL.

I love the tune, but since this is my first GTI I have little basis to compare it to others.

Bob

untangle

Ready to race!
Holding out on us! Haha. Good for you.

The Neuspeed caper actually served to thrust me more inside the world of tuners - several reached out to me.

Allowed me to get more education and meet some nice people.

Go figure.

Bob

Last edited:

fredf

Go Kart Champion
What I love about this whole thing is how Arin@apr has avoided these threads about the 2011 tunes lately.

He has started a couple of threads about how well their racing GTIs are doing but has studiously avoided acknowledging the fact that they have slipped behind Revo in their attempt to crack the 2011 encryption.

Normally Arin would be all over these threads touting how only APR can do things right. Suddenly he is silent.

I'm kind of enjoying the embarrassed silence.