GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R, that fast?

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I've been snooping around the forum for quite some time, and have had a mkv GTI. I'm very excited about the Golf R, and it's top on my list when it gets here (also interested in new Mercedes 250). I've been eyeing the Golf R since they made the announcement it's coming to the states.

Do you guys think the R will really be that much quicker then the GTI? If you take a 10% drive train loss on a FWD GTI, you are looking at around 180 whp. With a 25% drive train loss on an AWD Golf R (255 hp), you are looking at 191 whp. Plus the Golf R is going to weigh more. Now I know that the R will be more refined on the interior, the exterior looks great, and AWD is amazing to have. So the question is, are we really paying for all of these extras, and the motor and speed, 0-60, quarter mile, etc just going to be the same as the GTI???

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
The MKVI's actually put ~200hp to the wheels. From a dig, the R will be a monster compared to a GTI. With the R you already have the K04, flash it to stage 2 with a DP and it will be around or over 300hp (just judging from what you get out of GTI with k04 and supporting mods).

Speaking for 1/4 times, it would be hard to match an R's 60' (for a normal driver).

Jever

Ready to race!
The MKVI's actually put ~200hp to the wheels. From a dig, the R will be a monster compared to a GTI. With the R you already have the K04, flash it to stage 2 with a DP and it will be around or over 300hp (just judging from what you get out of GTI with k04 and supporting mods).

Speaking for 1/4 times, it would be hard to match an R's 60' (for a normal driver).

200 to the wheels eh?

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion

Yes, I agree with that, but what you have to pay attention to is the extra 15% in drive train loss because it's AWD, and the added weight verse the GTI. I agree that from a dig, if you launch it, it will roast a GTI... However, I'm not really upset about it, but don't you think you are essentially paying an extra $10,000 for AWD, the interior upgrades, and the exterior upgrades. From a speed point of view, I don't think it's going to be that much different from the gti because of drivetrain loss and added weight. Like the R, you can add the same upgrades to the ecu, exhaust, etc. to keep those numbers in line ( if i put a DP on a gti, and a DP on a Golf R, they are both going to increase hp in about the same percentage).

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
200 to the wheels eh?

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15040

Yes, I agree with that, but what you have to pay attention to is the extra 15% in drive train loss because it's AWD, and the added weight verse the GTI. I agree that from a dig, if you launch it, it will roast a GTI... However, I'm not really upset about it, but don't you think you are essentially paying an extra $10,000 for AWD, the interior upgrades, and the exterior upgrades. From a speed point of view, I don't think it's going to be that much different from the gti because of drivetrain loss and added weight. Like the R, you can add the same upgrades to the ecu, exhaust, etc. to keep those numbers in line ( if i put a DP on a gti, and a DP on a Golf R, they are both going to increase hp in about the same percentage).

Yea that is just a choice you have to make. I suppose it has its advantages tracking. It is not like the previous R's in that it has much less weight over the front wheels, I would think it is a much more balanced machine.

You just have to weigh the pro's and con's of each. Personally I would rather throw 10 grand into a GTI and have a very enjoyable and eye pleasing DD. With the parts I want...and still have a very trackable vehicle.

But if I could throw 10 grand into an R........:laugh:

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
In my mind the Golf R will be worth it. Like in some of the above posts it does already come with the k04 turbo and with a tune it will quickly become an EFFFFINGGGG beast. One thing I can't stand about my gti is the launch the wheels spin like crazy and with the tune on a golf R it will smash a gti from a dig. It's a big plus for me with the all wheel drive and it has tremendous upside when it comes to mods. The allwheel drive will help put the power down to the road and with it already having a bigger turbo than the gti you don't have to spend any extra money on a turbo plus you get the prestige of being the elite few that own one :) trust me i'll be extremely envious lol

zbeasty

Passed Driver's Ed
Off the line the R has the advantage of AWD. Once moving if the R is not in it's powerband with the K04 then the GTI will pull a gap however once the R comes on song it will pull back the gap then keep pulling. There is a video on youtube with a Stg1 GTI vs standard R. The R gets him in the end. By the time the R is released in the US it will have been around a while in Europe and APAC so there should be plenty of goodies available.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Both of the posted 200HP "results" are on Hub dynos; no rolling stock and no wheel loss. that is not HP to the wheels; not to mention there is no telling what correction factors are being used.

Stock US GTIs make 180-185 true whp on properly set dynos; as has been shown by many cars on this very forum... Euro GTIs likely make 190-195ish, on a real dyno :thumbsup:

Last edited:

FNR32

Ready to race!

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
x2