GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R, that fast?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
well, most races are from a roll which portrays(sorry couldnt find another word:D) a car's performance better than dig races. 0-60 times don't mean much imo

Not true. Most races (not street racing, real racing) are from a dig. Because a race is as much about Driver ability as Car ability; and controlling your car's launch is part of the process.

1/4 mile times are never reported as "from a roll"... :thumbsup:

And for the LC comments; you can't "just launch and go" in a GTI the way you can in an .:R; you have to feather the throttle to minimize wheelspin and maximize speed off the line. Takes some practice but it is definitely doable ;)

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Not true. Most races (not street racing, real racing) are from a dig. Because a race is as much about Driver ability as Car ability; and controlling your car's launch is part of the process.

1/4 mile times are never reported as "from a roll"... :thumbsup:

by most races i meant most common races.i mean what vids posted here or on the mkv forums are dig races on a track? otherwise, you are right.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I held fairly well with my friend's R from a roll in my stock GTI...now the new R with so much potential is gonna be something, we are gonna mess the VR6 growl though.

IMO the GTI is more fun for DD use and the R32 for the track.

Saabstory

by most races i meant most common races.i mean what vids posted here or on the mkv forums are dig races on a track? otherwise, you are right.

Gotcha. :thumbsup: I've seen many on MKV that are track runs, I won't say what I think about anyone who street races... :rolleyes:

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Gotcha. :thumbsup: I've seen many on MKV that are track runs, I won't say what I think about anyone who street races... :rolleyes:

lol. only when it is dry and the roads are clear?:rolleyes:

shame we don;t have any tracks here:mad0259:

Saabstory

Yep; that is a shame :thumbsup:

Dry, clear roads and no traffic I can't really say anything bad about. I should have said "most anyone" who street races; there are of course exceptions to every rule :D

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Agree totally; except for the 8-10k loss/upcharge part. Everyone keeps saying the R will be 10k more than a GTI but it isn't true based on what they've already said. Take a GTI and fully load it; then compare to an R and it will be ~5K more. The R will be essentially a loaded GTI with a K04 and AWD, so 5K for those two "mods" is a nice deal :thumbsup:

Can you buy a GTI for 10K less than an R? Absolutely, but you'll be giving up a helluva lot more than just the K04 and AWD.

Agreed with your points, but not the pricing/finance part of it. And yes, I do agree on the Autobahn vs R is very close.

However, there have already been 2010 Autobahn's going for like $24K at non VW dealers. You have to figure a trade-in hit of at least $5K on an autobahn, or most cars for that matter after approx a year, if not more for 2 years use and more mileage. Also, a lot of guys didn't buy Autobahn's so their car may be worth even less.

The R will in no way cost less than $35K out the door, tax, fees, etc., for a base model version, not the premium with KESSY, etc., that the premium version will get and that is comparable to options on the GTI Autobahn.

So $35K minus a generous $25K for your trade in, will put you in the whole $10K. My point stands in that regard, as if you really look into this, it very well may be worse than just $10K, esp since the R isn't getting here till late this year, if that - more time on your 2010/2011 GTI's and more mileage on the clock.

But again, if you're at the dealer and you are considering an autobahn in 2012 or 2013, the additional $5K-ish is definitely worth it for the R. I just wish it was an option at the time for me! :laugh::(

Saabstory

Nah, you are about correct; I misunderstood your previous post. i was thinking you meant "The Golf R will cost 10K more than the GTI" which is of course not really accurate (but many on here are still saying it) ;)

However; I'll bet you Golf Rs will be moving off the lot closer to 30k than 40k... :D

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
we definitely dont make 200 to the wheels stock are you high?

lmao yea okay man your car makes 200 to the wheels :lol:

I don't know much about dynos, but I always thought this was the case based on what I've come across.

I'd be interested in learning more, could you provide more useful information, as opposed to ineffectively pointing out that everyone is wrong?

Saabstory

I don't know much about dynos, but I always thought this was the case based on what I've come across.

I'd be interested in learning more, could you provide more useful information, as opposed to ineffectively pointing out that everyone is wrong?

Both of the posted 200HP "results" are on Hub dynos; no rolling stock and no wheel loss. that is not HP to the wheels; not to mention there is no telling what correction factors are being used.

Stock US GTIs make 180-185 true whp on properly set dynos; as has been shown by many cars on this very forum... Euro GTIs likely make 190-195ish, on a real dyno :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I used the 10k difference from Base to base. Yes the R will only come with leather, and some other stuff. What I mean when saying the 10k is that you can get a GTI for 10k less (not comparably equipped) and have lots left over for modding. I like to do stuff to my cars I can have more fun working on the GTI than I could an R. But you are correct that a comparably equipped GTI will be closer in price to the R than 10k.

JP

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
taken from: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14475

My friend's mk3 scirocco dyno results:

this is using STD correction. SAE would put it at 213whp which is about 230 hp crank.

so yes,some do dyno even more than 200whp.

this was done five minutes prior to dynoing my car.he is completely stock,euro spec.

now this is a dynocom dyno, which is really a better dynojet dyno as it is load bearing (uses an eddy brake) and hence replicates road conditions as opposed to the dynojet which is an inertia based unit.

KiwiR

Three things made me order the R over the GTI,
1, I if spec'd the GTI to where I wanted it, the price difference was fairly small compared to the R.

2, In my country the GTI is the default Golf, easly the best seller in the range, they are everywhere... much fewer R's around.

3, 2 hour test drive with the R in the rain on a twisty mountian road...SOLD

wooduck

I've been snooping around the forum for quite some time, and have had a mkv GTI. I'm very excited about the Golf R, and it's top on my list when it gets here (also interested in new Mercedes 250). I've been eyeing the Golf R since they made the announcement it's coming to the states.

Do you guys think the R will really be that much quicker then the GTI? If you take a 10% drive train loss on a FWD GTI, you are looking at around 180 whp. With a 25% drive train loss on an AWD Golf R (255 hp), you are looking at 191 whp. Plus the Golf R is going to weigh more. Now I know that the R will be more refined on the interior, the exterior looks great, and AWD is amazing to have. So the question is, are we really paying for all of these extras, and the motor and speed, 0-60, quarter mile, etc just going to be the same as the GTI???

Hi All. First time poster with a 1/4 mile timeslip. Pic also included has the 2 cars that ran on that slip. My son's GTI Mk6 GIAC chipped, downpipe and CAI dynoed at 177 ATW's and my R DSG GIAC only. The R is the left lane. Thought it may be of interest. Car is going on Dyno April 16th.

Wooduck