GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof won't close on its own. How to manually close?

NavinRJohnson1

Passed Driver's Ed
My sunroof on my 2010 GTI will not close on its own -- it bounces back open (all the way) once it's almost closed. Must be the pinch protector. The manual says to check booklet 3.3 for the emergency close procedure in this situation, but I don't have a booklet 3.3. Does anyone know how to do this? I did a search here and didn't find anything (surprising considering how many people have this problem). In earlier years, you could push up on the dial to reset the sunroof, but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

NavinRJohnson1

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I figured out that the sunshade is being pushed all the way back into the roof when the sunroof is opened. When I go to close it, it's staying in the roof. If I reach in and pull it forward while it's trying to close the sunroof, it will close all the way. Something is still wrong though, because the shade still retracts fully into the roof every time I open it now. Guess it's going back to the dealer.

kiyoshi147

Ready to race!
the official fix???

i remember reading this in my manual...

if you remove a panel up near the sunroof controls, there is a hex screw (4mm i think) that if you play with that it is the manual override for the sunroof.

sorry if the details aen't perfect, but i don't have my manual in fron of me and i'm going on memory.

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
Same issue

Well, I figured out that the sunshade is being pushed all the way back into the roof when the sunroof is opened. When I go to close it, it's staying in the roof. If I reach in and pull it forward while it's trying to close the sunroof, it will close all the way. Something is still wrong though, because the shade still retracts fully into the roof every time I open it now. Guess it's going back to the dealer.

Hi all,

I just had this problem earlier today, the shade was stuck in between the sunroof and the inside roof of the car. i had to reach in there and pull the damn thing out, and now every time i open my roof i hear a cracking sound... im guessing the shade is now out of its track.

Navin, any news on ur end? i wanna take it to the dealer but have a feeling theyre going to charge me $$$.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I don't know if this is part of the sunroof and shade problem, but I mad a decision right when I got the car not to let the sunroof push the shade back by itself.
It just looks to me like something that can cause a problem.
I always have the shade opened manually before I open the sunroof.

JhnR

Banned
Thats what it would happen to mine when it was hot outside. I took it to the dealer the replaced the switch they said, and now works fine. Its not so hot anymore in Cali - not sure what it would cause for this to happened, but they replaced it under warranty. 10k miles on the car.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
I have never checked a mk6 but there should be a little allen key attached to the door of the fuse box on the side of the dash. You pop down the sunroof control panel and there is a hole to put it and crank it closed.

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know if this is part of the sunroof and shade problem, but I mad a decision right when I got the car not to let the sunroof push the shade back by itself.
It just looks to me like something that can cause a problem.
I always have the shade opened manually before I open the sunroof.

I wonder, though, because it seems that the sunshade is pushed in even if you open it by hand, since when the sunroof is opened, the handle part gets shoved under the roof. If you open the sunroof all the way past the stop, then sunshade is basically completely inside the roof.

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
Took my car to the dealership and they said nothing was wrong. They added a little oil to the sunroof's track but i doubt this addresses the issue bc although my sunroof now opens and closes again, i hear a cracking sound ever time.

Good news for me is that i am still under warrantee so ill be keeping an eye on it.

Hope you guys had better luck with yours.

nik

Go Kart Champion
there is a little allen screw in the overhead console to override it. You have to pop off the piece that looks like it has two speaker grills on it (best way to describe it). I think it is hinged towards the front (been 2 months since I saw it on my old car), so be careful! The screw is on the left side I believe.

dbest6808

Ready to race!
this happened to me once a few months ago. It would close to about 1 inch away from all the way then bounce back. The way I fixed it was by reaching up and pressing down on the rails while it was closing. If you feel the rail system towards the front of the sunroof you will notice a lever like action, that pushes down as it closes on its own,
If its working correctly. If you hold it down and release right before it pinches your fingers it will close and I haven't had an issue since. It seems as if you open the sunroof all the way something happens with the inner sunshade and it screws up its ability to realize where its at and how far it has to go to close properly.

ssims

Passed Driver's Ed
You pull down on the back half of the rotary knob while holding it on the close detent.

For anybody dealing with this in a 2012 this solves it. This occurs when Pinch Perfection is activated. By pulling down on the back of the knob, you override the pinch perfection momentarily. I dug around for a while before I was going to take it to dealership and it was not entirely clear...so there you go.