GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

valve cover gasket leak...?

corman1313

Ready to race!
There is no way it needs a valve cleaning, he is probably doing it at the same time to save money. I am over 104k and still have never carbon cleaned.
I completely agree that he probably doesn't need it but yes do it while they're in there. As for your car, having never done a cleaning isn't the same as needing a cleaning so are you saying you are at that mileage and still don't need a cleaning?

zrickety

The Fixer
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Car runs great and I drive it hard.

I'll be doing it as preventative. Only $210 at dealership for the decarb. I may work them down a little bit as they'll be replacing intake manifold anyways

Car just turned 44k miles. A lot commute for work, over 60 miles a day. Give it the "Italian tune-up" rather frequently, running at over 3k rpm to build up heat. Per VW documented guidelines. I'm sure there is minimal but I'm curious to see how much.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would say once every 2 months or so depending on how much you drive.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
I'll be doing it as preventative. Only $210 at dealership for the decarb. I may work them down a little bit as they'll be replacing intake manifold anyways

Car just turned 44k miles. A lot commute for work, over 60 miles a day. Give it the "Italian tune-up" rather frequently, running at over 3k rpm to build up heat. Per VW documented guidelines. I'm sure there is minimal but I'm curious to see how much.

Just had carbon cleaning done on mine at 59K. Wasn't terrible, but it definitely needed to be done. Was getting a MIL light.

I do over 90% highway driving. Hard pulls...all the time. And, there are days where I won't even take it out of 5th on the highway to keep the RPMs high. Shits on my MPGs, but what are ya gonna do.

Car idles clean and smooth now at 800RPMs. Also, feels like it pulls a little stronger too.

I'm amazed that anyone can get close to 100K without needing it to be done. I'd say those people are the exception, not the rule. Indy shop I went to said that best case scenarios they generally see are in the 60-80K range. Often times, it's less than that.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Got mine fixed today at the dealership. They said it was due to too much pressure created. So I'll try to drive a little softer now. They replaced the cam position sensor and the PCV hose.

Also found an exhaust leak where the downpipe meets the mid pipe. Car overall feels much better now.

Last edited:

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Got mine fixed today at the dealership. They said it was due to too much pressure created. So I'll try to drive a little softer now. They replaced the cam position sensor and the PCV hose.

Also found an exhaust leak where the downpipe meets the mid pipe. Call overall feels much better now.

How did you get them to do it and not just say to you that it was fine and just normal seepage?
Thats the line have gotten before and not much you can do after that!

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
How did you get them to do it and not just say to you that it was fine and just normal seepage?

Thats the line have gotten before and not much you can do after that!

I just told them it will only get worse from here. They replaced the gasket, sensor and hose without questions.

Helps to know the tech at the dealer I go to, too.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

dude thats a classic dealership bullshit line. Dont listen to that garbage, look around this forum, the cars that need the least maintenance are the ones driven hard on the reg. Dont drive softer.

BadAssBass

Ready to race!
Had similar seepage on my '11 st II GTI. Dealer says Upper timing cover gasket. Not covered under power train warranty and that'll be $600, all labor (6 hrs). 6 hrs!!!! How??

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
taking mine to OWASCO VW on Monday.. similar seepage around the cps...I have CPO so hopefully what ever it is are covered. those guys seems cool there. i'll report back what they find.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Just had mine changed under power train warranty at 52k, (Frankenturbo with water meth) They also had to change the PCV as that was leaking too (Covered under extended warranty through Fidelity) as well as my 4th water pump (lol whats new there?). For reference I boost at 27psi.