GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Known Issue w/2.0T TSI

GTI-2011NC

This past week I tripped a fault code on my GTI that indicated I was running lean. At first it was thought to be a loose or clogged vacuum line by VW, and it turned that the intake manifold had to be entirely replaced. I was lucky for two reasons, i am under warranty and they actually had 1 unit in stock. Who knew they're all plastic now? I must be getting old....

Apparently this issue is a known one and VW has replaced several manifolds and have even extended the warranties past the usual 3yr/36mon (for how long i do not know). The intake runner is the problem -- it is supposed to swivel forwards and backwards to open the butterfly valves inside the intake ports, but it is not supposed to drop out of battery in a horizontal fashion as mine had been doing for about a week before repair.

I share this with my fellow GTI drivers to help those curious like me to be more aware of the issues we may face in the future and how best to deal with them when they inevitably arise.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Intake manifolds and noisy water pump are the 2 most common things. The intake manifold is by FAR the biggest issue.

Bender1

Banned
Intake manifolds and noisy water pump are the 2 most common things. The intake manifold is by FAR the biggest issue.

How many have you seen come through? Seems like (from the boards) failure rate is around 1-2%, does that seem accurate?

Is there a METAL intake manifold anywhere, yet?

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Didn't they go to vacuum controlled IM tumble flaps with the MK6? I thought I read that it was one of the changes from an electro-mechanical setup on the MK5 for reliability reasons.

What is the actual failure? A bearing or bushing?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
There has been some coilpack issues from earlier built engines. Doesnt really seem to be prevolent here, but if you ever get misfires, thats where you need to start looking!

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
How many have you seen come through? Seems like (from the boards) failure rate is around 1-2%, does that seem accurate?

Is there a METAL intake manifold anywhere, yet?

According to this board you'd think the wastegate rattle would be the biggest problem, the truth is it very very rare for anyone to come in complaining about the rattle unless they saw there was a TSB for it so now they want it done.

The manifolds are truly the most common non maintenance item we see on TSI's in the real world, I replace about 1 a week. The failures are so common the manifold went on back order because they crapping out faster than they were being produced.

The problem with them is the manifold.... In the runner control system, as far as what goes bad? Well, in the end who cares, the intake runner flaps, the linkage, the vacuum control, the solenoid, and the position sensor all come assembled together as one piece as one part number. Nobody takes the time to diagnos which part is the issue because it's all replaced as one no matter which individual piece goes bad.

The bright side is even when it's out of warranty the intake manifold with all the stuff with it is only in the $200 range, suprisingly cheap. When you remove the manifold you need to do injector seals as well. When the injectors stay in the head you can just replace the rubber o ring on the fuel rail side, if it pulls out of the head you have to replace the Teflon seal on the head side (which kinda sucks, requires special tools, not a DIY thing)

Last edited:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
There has been some coilpack issues from earlier built engines. Doesnt really seem to be prevolent here, but if you ever get misfires, thats where you need to start looking!

We still get the occasional coil, it's not often though and usually we find on the TSI's the coils haven't gone bad, they have floated (the coils will have risen about 1/2" up away from the plugs) push/seat them back down and misfires go away.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It always throws a fault, it doesn't always throw a CEL.

For example Gunkata, I was doing a full system scan on his car during his 20K, he had intake runner faults stored but no check engine light, I replaced his manifold.

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
We still get the occasional coil, it's not often though and usually we find on the TSI's the coils haven't gone bad, they have floated (the coils will have risen about 1/2" up away from the plugs) push/seat them back down and misfires go away.

I check my coils reguraly and they are slighty up sometimes, so I push them back. Also, I recently got a "flashing" check engine light for my intake manifold flaps, I cleared the code and it never came back. Guess it's something i'll have to keep a eye on...

nik

Go Kart Champion
The intake manifold issue was what I took my last GTI in before it went boom.. I gathered that from searching the code online after, P2015 was the code if I remember correctly. Is checking the ECU and associated harness standard practice for this problem? Because that's what was written on the work order.

techbiker

Passed Driver's Ed
What are some noticeable symptoms produced by this problem other than a fault code? Checking for fault codes isn't something I can do as of yet, so some other signs to look out for would be helpful.

Also, is there any pattern as to when/at what mileage this occurs?

James9449

Ready to race!
I am running a Carbonio intake, Stage 1 and Stage 2. I also have a BSH Catch Can installed. Am I immune to this issue? Not sure my mod-unfriendly dealer is going to dispute any claim I might have for an intake manifold problem. I think my 2011 is a late build for the model year . . .

nik

Go Kart Champion
I am running a Carbonio intake, Stage 1 and Stage 2. I also have a BSH Catch Can installed. Am I immune to this issue? Not sure my mod-unfriendly dealer is going to dispute any claim I might have for an intake manifold problem. I think my 2011 is a late build for the model year . . .

If that is what indeed happened to my car then I doubt it, but you do have a catch can, which I didn't, so that's the wild card. I had an earlier 2011, probably one of the first few. I had the intake and the dealer I took it too was hassling me on it and how it may not be warrantied etc.. But I pointed out to them that they would have to prove that the intake caused the issue, which they agreed that they would have to do that prior to me footing the bill. And I told em I will put in the stock box and "see what happens" and would bring it back (or take it elsewhere at that point).

Do they know you're modded? Worst case you can always throw the stock box back on when you take it in for service or find another dealer that is mod friendly.