GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru BRZ Coupe Review by C&D (brother to the Scion FR-S)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yeah, it is RWD and sure, the turbo version should put out at least 240-265 or so, so that would be a problem. The handling is sublime, thats what (some) people really like. I would never buy the current version either, btw.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1075684_scions-fr-s-sport-coupe-wont-get-turbo-option-report

looks like no FR-S turbo in the US, so Subaru has to do it on their own and will corner the market/segment for it. ::: fingers crossed for some goodness :::

and here's some subaru gossip at 250hp N/A - which would be nice :D

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1074609_subaru-brz-sti-under-development-report

"Subaru will improve the car’s air intake, add a less-restrictive exhaust, increase redline to 7,500 rpm and revise the variable valve control system for optimized performance. These modifications are expected to boost output to around 250 horsepower, a full 25-percent increase over the base model.

The STI version will be lighter in weight, too, thanks to racing bucket seats, a carbon fiber hood and, potentially, even a carbon-fiber roof. Lighter wheels will be used, and the car will further benefit from upgraded brakes and a stiffer suspension for track day use." <<< YES PLEASE.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1075684_scions-fr-s-sport-coupe-wont-get-turbo-option-report

looks like no FR-S turbo in the US, so Subaru has to do it on their own and will corner the market/segment for it. ::: fingers crossed for some goodness :::

and here's some subaru gossip at 250hp N/A - which would be nice :D

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1074609_subaru-brz-sti-under-development-report

"Subaru will improve the car’s air intake, add a less-restrictive exhaust, increase redline to 7,500 rpm and revise the variable valve control system for optimized performance. These modifications are expected to boost output to around 250 horsepower, a full 25-percent increase over the base model.

The STI version will be lighter in weight, too, thanks to racing bucket seats, a carbon fiber hood and, potentially, even a carbon-fiber roof. Lighter wheels will be used, and the car will further benefit from upgraded brakes and a stiffer suspension for track day use." <<< YES PLEASE.

Yupz, I plan on either a TRD intake / TRD exhaust on the BRZ lol
or STI intake / STI exhaust on the BRZ , but then again 3rd parties
will do if the price is right.
and along with lighter wheels (RPF01) and slightly better tires(Conti DW)

To you GTI drivers out there 200HP NA will be low,
but I am coming from the TDI 140HP and with some simple
bolt ons it should prove more than enough (at least for me).

:w00t:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
sounds like HKS will release a turbo kit to be sold through Scion dealers as well.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
has anyone mentioned how on earth subaru is selling a non AWD car... I believe every single car they sold in the states has been AWD for 20+ years?!

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
Edmunds posted review figures:
IL-Scion FR-S

Acceleration, 0-30 mph (sec.) 2.5
0-45 mph (sec.) 4.2
0-60 mph (sec.) 6.6
0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 6.3

0-75 mph (sec.) 9.6
1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 14.8 @ 93.8
Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 29
60-0 mph (ft.) 117
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 67.3
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) ESC ON 65.9
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.88
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) ESC ON 0.86

Engine speed @ 70 mph (rpm) 3,050

vs

2010 GTI roadtest (6-speed MT)

0-45 mph (sec.) 4.6
0-60 mph (sec.) 6.9
0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 6.6
0-75 mph (sec.) 9.5
1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 14.9 @ 95.6
Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 33
60-0 mph (ft.) 129
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 67.1
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.84
Sound level @ idle (dB) 45.5
@ Full throttle (dB) 85.9
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 68.2

Last edited:

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Reviewers are starting to refer to this car as an "ICON". Hmmm, consider me slightly compelled to test drive one.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
They've hinted at a 240-260 N/A version for now. Should be good with that much hp, but its always nice to have more. I hope they can figure out how to turbo it, but if not, 250 or so hp should be sufficient.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
They've hinted at a 240-260 N/A version for now. Should be good with that much hp, but its always nice to have more. I hope they can figure out how to turbo it, but if not, 250 or so hp should be sufficient.

Toyota/Scion will have TRD super charger ,
TRD intake/exhaust as 2013 comes around,
and I expect good things from Subaru's STI department as well.

Personally my first mod will be to remove stock antenna with shark fin one.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Videos of this car, in AutoX, are really amazing! i've been hooked. This thing is zipping in and out and around cones. one would be able to purchase the TRD supercharger through scion directly when it comes out????

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Toyota/Scion will have TRD super charger ,
TRD intake/exhaust as 2013 comes around,
and I expect good things from Subaru's STI department as well.

Personally my first mod will be to remove stock antenna with shark fin one.

link for TRD info? is it simply an HKS kit to be sold through dealers, cos thats all I've heard of.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
I read somewhere that the chief of subaru confirms that they will not make a turbo version of this car. However, they will make a faster version but still keep it NA. Turbo is be kept for WRX and STI.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
link for TRD info? is it simply an HKS kit to be sold through dealers, cos thats all I've heard of.

All I know Is(from FT86club.com's forum) that there
is to be an onslaught of FR-S / BRZ products already in
the pipe line from ALOT of people OEM/after market.

The only thing left to do is wait it out.
heck I pre-ordered the car even without
seeing it in real life. :w00t:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand the draw of buying a car only to immediately modify it due to a deficiency. If you're not happy with the power, wait and see if there is a newer version with more in the pipeline and if not get another car.