GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

master water/meth discussion thread

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Are you 100% positive that you have the safe injection solenoid vacuum lines correct? I remember when I originally had a SI module and solenoid for my system, the shop had the vacuum lines reversed. As soon as the system started to spray, it would trigger the SI and it would just run stock waste gate pressure (9 psi). Once I reversed the lines, it worked like a charm.

Can't say at this point that I'm 100% sure, I will have to recheck them. I appreciate the comment, hopefully that is what's causing the issues.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Can't say at this point that I'm 100% sure, I will have to recheck them. I appreciate the comment, hopefully that is what's causing the issues.

I hope it's as simple as that. It drove me crazy until I finally figured it out that's what it was. Good luck!

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I hope it's as simple as that. It drove me crazy until I finally figured it out that's what it was. Good luck!

Since you at one point ran a similar setup, would you happen to remember the correct connections? More specifically the connections made to/from the N75? I have the Snow Performance instructions on how to wire and connect the wastegate solenoid, but when it comes to the N75 portion it gets very general and just says "Manual Boost Controller/Boost Solenoid". Since our N75 has 3 ports, it would be nice to have something (diagram/photo) to check my connections against.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Since you at one point ran a similar setup, would you happen to remember the correct connections? More specifically the connections made to/from the N75? I have the Snow Performance instructions on how to wire and connect the wastegate solenoid, but when it comes to the N75 portion it gets very general and just says "Manual Boost Controller/Boost Solenoid". Since our N75 has 3 ports, it would be nice to have something (diagram/photo) to check my connections against.

I was bored at lunch and looked into this a bit. The solenoid that goes in between the N75 and stuff is the same MAC solenoid most places use for stuff. It's the same one on my AEM boost controller.

When powered, ports 3&1 are connected. Not powered ports 3&2 are connected. Looking at the front of the solenoid, front port is 3, left is 2 and right is 1 (should be labeled).

The N75. The metal port is boost. The port parallel to that goes is the vent and goes back into the turbo inlet. The L or perpendicular port goes to the wastegate. When you are making boost above wastegate pressure, the N75 pulses and connects the metal port to the vent port. When you are only making wastegate pressure, the metal port and the L (wastegate port) are connected.

From what I read, the controller (or whatever) should send 0 voltage to the solenoid during favorable circumstances. So in that situation, you want boost to be able to flow through the solenoid, so ports 3&2 connected. When it failsafes, it will send voltage to the solenoid, connecting ports 3&1, which at that point you would want the boost being vented AROUND the wastegate to be directed back AT the wastegate to open it up.

So the way I see it, it should be plumbed as follows:

BOOST: Comes from the port by the DV and goes to the metal port on the N75. You 99.9% already have it this way or you wouldn't be making boost.

VENT: From the N75 (the port parallel to the metal port) should be plumbed to #3 on the solenoid

#2 on the solenoid should go to the inlet on the turbo

WASTEGATE: The L port on the N75 should be T'd with #1 on the solenoid and go to the wastegate

This way, with the solenoid not powered, boost flows as it should through all that stuff. When the solenoid is powered (failsafed) the vent pressure will be directed to the wastegate to open it up and cut boost. Let me know if all that makes sense. Like I said, looked around during lunch and did a brain dump. LOL

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, your brain dump is greatly appreciated! This is exactly what I needed.

As I said I have instructions, but when it comes to the N75 connections things get fuzzy.

Reading through your reply it makes sense. Now I have something to check my connections against.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, your brain dump is greatly appreciated! This is exactly what I needed.

As I said I have instructions, but when it comes to the N75 connections things get fuzzy.

Reading through your reply it makes sense. Now I have something to check my connections against.

Oh shit, didn't see the instructions before. I believe the way I told you can still be correct, they just reversed the flow of things a little.

To do it how they said:

Boost port from turbo (near DV) goes to port #2.
Port #3 to metal port on N75.
L port (perpendicular to metal port) on N75 goes into a T
Port #1 goes into T
Other port on T goes to wastegate
Remaining port on N75, parallel to metal port, goes to turbo inlet.

The more I think about it though, you have to have it plumbed correctly or else you wouldn't be getting boost with the WM system off.

EDIT:
I think you may have something wired incorrectly. This solenoid and the one before your jets operate differently.
The solenoid before your jets needs power to open and allow flow through. AKA, that should be connected to your pump power or ground, so when your pump gets power, it also opens the solenoid to allow flow.

The FAILSAFE solenoid, should be receiving ZERO power in every case besides when it needs to failsafe. I have a feeling you somehow have these connected, so at the same time it is opening up the other solenoids to allow flow, it is also closing this failsafe solenoid to direct boost back to the wastegate to limit you to 9 or so PSI.

Last edited:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Oh shit, didn't see the instructions before. I believe the way I told you can still be correct, they just reversed the flow of things a little.

To do it how they said:

Boost port from turbo (near DV) goes to port #2.
Port #3 to metal port on N75.
L port (perpendicular to metal port) on N75 goes into a T
Port #1 goes into T
Other port on T goes to wastegate
Remaining port on N75, parallel to metal port, goes to turbo inlet.

The more I think about it though, you have to have it plumbed correctly or else you wouldn't be getting boost with the WM system off.

EDIT:
I think you may have something wired incorrectly. This solenoid and the one before your jets operate differently.
The solenoid before your jets needs power to open and allow flow through. AKA, that should be connected to your pump power or ground, so when your pump gets power, it also opens the solenoid to allow flow.

The FAILSAFE solenoid, should be receiving ZERO power in every case besides when it needs to failsafe. I have a feeling you somehow have these connected, so at the same time it is opening up the other solenoids to allow flow, it is also closing this failsafe solenoid to direct boost back to the wastegate to limit you to 9 or so PSI.

I'm kind of confused now, but...

I believe their is a typo in the instructions, I think they meant "Under normal conditions the solenoid allows pressure and airflow to pass through from the Number 2 port to the Number 3 port. In the event that a 12V signal from the SafeInjection® module reaches the solenoid, it will redirect pressure and flow to the Number 1 port. This bypasses the standard boost control system and allows full pressure to reach the wastegate, opening it and reducing boost pressure"

Anyways... The wastegate solenoid power comes from the the green SafeInjection module wire (instructions here) and is grounded directly to chassis.

If I recall correctly the other two flow solenoids are connected to switched ignition power and I just wired both grounds back to the AEM controller to the "solenoid -" wire last night.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I'm kind of confused now, but...

I believe their is a typo in the instructions, I think they meant "Under normal conditions the solenoid allows pressure and airflow to pass through from the Number 2 port to the Number 3 port. In the event that a 12V signal from the SafeInjection® module reaches the solenoid, it will redirect pressure and flow to the Number 1 port. This bypasses the standard boost control system and allows full pressure to reach the wastegate, opening it and reducing boost pressure"

Anyways... The wastegate solenoid power comes from the the green SafeInjection module wire (instructions here) and is grounded directly to chassis.

If I recall correctly the other two flow solenoids are connected to switched ignition power and I just wired both grounds back to the AEM controller to the "solenoid -" wire last night.

You are correct on the first part. Those instructions are mixed up. No power 2&3 are connected. Power, 2&1 are connected.

You should have the solenoid before your nozzles connected to pump power, not 12V key power. You only want them open when the pump is running. If they are open every time the key is on it totally defeats the point of having solenoids (as they are open and the manifold will be sucking in meth during idle).

The green on the safe injection unit should be connected to one side of the solenoid. Other side of the solenoid to ground.

Purple wire should be connected to pump power. Where do you have this wire? I'm thinking that may be your issue.

It should be, pump gets power, opens solenoids to let flow through, safe injection sees flow and everything is ok.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
You are correct on the first part. Those instructions are mixed up. No power 2&3 are connected. Power, 2&1 are connected.

You should have the solenoid before your nozzles connected to pump power, not 12V key power. You only want them open when the pump is running. If they are open every time the key is on it totally defeats the point of having solenoids (as they are open and the manifold will be sucking in meth during idle).

The green on the safe injection unit should be connected to one side of the solenoid. Other side of the solenoid to ground.

Purple wire should be connected to pump power. Where do you have this wire? I'm thinking that may be your issue.

It should be, pump gets power, opens solenoids to let flow through, safe injection sees flow and everything is ok.

I have check valves on each line as well so nothing should be siphoning at idle.

Yes, green wire from SI module goes to one end of wastegate solenoid and the other is the ground which goes to chassis.

The purple wire from the SI module goes to the pink wire of the AEM controller which is pump power.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I have check valves on each line as well so nothing should be siphoning at idle.

Yes, green wire from SI module goes to one end of wastegate solenoid and the other is the ground which goes to chassis.

The purple wire from the SI module goes to the pink wire of the AEM controller which is pump power.

It'll syphon through check valves, on the DP jets anyway, because of the amount of vacuum in the manifold. That's why people use check valves and solenoids on the jets after the TB. But you only need a check on the TB pipe, because it's before the TB and doesn't see that amount of vacuum. Either way, I just checked the instructions and having one side to key on is ok, as long as the ground is to the brown/white on the controller.

So if what you are saying is correct, it sounds like the module should be wired correctly. Do you have anyway of verifying the pump is actually working? Maybe the system isn't working and the failsafe is just doing it's job? Can you bypass the safe injection thing and see if you get flow on your gauge while WOT?

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
It'll syphon through check valves, on the DP jets anyway, because of the amount of vacuum in the manifold. That's why people use check valves and solenoids on the jets after the TB. But you only need a check on the TB pipe, because it's before the TB and doesn't see that amount of vacuum. Either way, I just checked the instructions and having one side to key on is ok, as long as the ground is to the brown/white on the controller.

So if what you are saying is correct, it sounds like the module should be wired correctly. Do you have anyway of verifying the pump is actually working? Maybe the system isn't working and the failsafe is just doing it's job? Can you bypass the safe injection thing and see if you get flow on your gauge while WOT?

Last night after I got done rewiring things I stuck the key in and turned to key ON, flipped the meth system on and I can hear the pump humming (like it should) so I assume its getting power.

I can bypass the flow through the SafeInjection unit by just pulling the tubing out of the "out" port and plugging it back into the "out" port on my flow gauge. Unfortunately the SI unit will still be wired in to the system though, not sure how that would effect things.

I will try to trouble shoot everything this eve. So frustrating. :mad0259:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

Sorry, it's been at least 2-3 years since I had that in my set up. I wasn't running, nor am I now running a 100 octane file. I ended up having it removed when I had my Snow controller replaced with a Coolingmist CMGS.

I just remember swapping the position of 2 vacuum lines on the solenoid and it started to work. I just went through all my pictures and could not find any that had closeups of the solenoid.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Last night after I got done rewiring things I stuck the key in and turned to key ON, flipped the meth system on and I can hear the pump humming (like it should) so I assume its getting power.

I can bypass the flow through the SafeInjection unit by just pulling the tubing out of the "out" port and plugging it back into the "out" port on my flow gauge. Unfortunately the SI unit will still be wired in to the system though, not sure how that would effect things.

I will try to trouble shoot everything this eve. So frustrating. :mad0259:

Been following, interesting. Where is the pump getting its power? Should be from the AEM controller, Pink I believe, Orange is ground. I only ask because you indicate pump starts when you key on.

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I found that confusing as well. The pump should only be on when it hits specified boost, not any other time. Unless it was a Aquamist kit which primes on startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk