GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US Golf R Review (Motor Trend)

C4L

Banned
oh ok, the way you have links and the way you talk to/down to people here, indicated otherwise.

the GM/vette was 1-4, I do 4-6 in my car only - its fine. Ratings are one thing, and they are not always right - you should know that. but again, with my skipping shifts I've bettered those with DSG in mpg.

And I never said you have not gotten better mileage than a DSG car. That is just not the norm. If you had two identical cars, one with mt and one with dsg, and drove the same route at the same speed for the same distance, the DSG would get better mileage.

Since there are thousands of instances that provide different results, EPA ratings are the only standardized metric to be used. That is why they exist.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
you should run for office.....

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I have been told by many that I should be a lawyer...

oh yeah, easily. I tell that to my boy... since you are like talking to my 7 1/2 yr old son. He is never wrong either...

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I have been told by many that I should be a lawyer...

You love to argue, even when you are wrong, and nobody likes you anyway, so you have nothing to loose. :thumbsup:

337RSR

Passed Driver's Ed
And I never said you have not gotten better mileage than a DSG car. That is just not the norm. If you had two identical cars, one with mt and one with dsg, and drove the same route at the same speed for the same distance, the DSG would get better mileage.

Since there are thousands of instances that provide different results, EPA ratings are the only standardized metric to be used. That is why they exist.

MPG apart. I have had an A3 S-line with the DSG and I switched back to a GTI MT as soon as I could. I'm waiting for the R and am so happy that only the MT was chosen for Canada.
THE drawback of the DSG is that in real life driving you sometimes have to upshift or downshift more gears and that's when this tranny gets confused. For example, you are driving a backroad at a leisurely 80 Kmh (50Mph) and you have to pass a semi : Simply downshift to third gear, floor it, and back to sixth relaxed. Try this with a DSG : sixth to fifth = great, sixth to fourth = 1 second lag and sixth to third = 2 to 3 seconds lag and while you are flooring it when the tranny will finally get you to third you will be slammed in your seat and will look like you are a crazy SOB driver. I've done it !!:thumbdown:

SugarHill1

New Golf R owner

Can somebody explain to me the comparison that "some" people keep making b/t whether I should have bought a Golf R or an A3. Last time I checked (in the US anyway) the only A3 you can buy with a decent engine only comes in automatic!! You can call it what you like put I prefer to drive my cars using BOTH feet and heel to toe downshifting..

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Can somebody explain to me the comparison that "some" people keep making b/t whether I should have bought a Golf R or an A3. Last time I checked (in the US anyway) the only A3 you can buy with a decent engine only comes in automatic!! You can call it what you like put I prefer to drive my cars using BOTH feet and heel to toe downshifting..

Didn't you just read the past 13 pages? That you want an R over an A3 makes you illogical, and you compound your mistake by preferring a manual over the vastly superior DSG? You must be some sort of emotion driven Luddite. (do I need to put ;), or did you get the sarcasm font?)

GTITX1

Ready to race!
MPG apart. I have had an A3 S-line with the DSG and I switched back to a GTI MT as soon as I could. I'm waiting for the R and am so happy that only the MT was chosen for Canada.
THE drawback of the DSG is that in real life driving you sometimes have to upshift or downshift more gears and that's when this tranny gets confused. For example, you are driving a backroad at a leisurely 80 Kmh (50Mph) and you have to pass a semi : Simply downshift to third gear, floor it, and back to sixth relaxed. Try this with a DSG : sixth to fifth = great, sixth to fourth = 1 second lag and sixth to third = 2 to 3 seconds lag and while you are flooring it when the tranny will finally get you to third you will be slammed in your seat and will look like you are a crazy SOB driver. I've done it !!:thumbdown:

Sounds like you don't fully understand how to drive the DSG, or are riding in too high of a gear given your speed. I have never experienced a time in my dsg gti that dropping down a gear didn't put me right in the power band(and actually, never experienced needing to go down more than a gear in my MT cars either). At 50MPH, I would never be in 6th gear, I would likely be in 5th, maybe even 4th (don't remember the exact rpm @ 50mph for 4th and 5th). Basically I never drive around with the tach below 2000rpm in a 2.0T engined car, and I never did that in a manual or a DSG.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Or how mediocre the Golf R is for the money....perhaps? :iono:

I suppose it would seem mediocre to a guy with an R32 boosted to 570 AWHP and aiming for over 650 AWHP. :lol:

By the way, I've seen your car down at Further, and it's pure sex.

337RSR

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like you don't fully understand how to drive the DSG, or are riding in too high of a gear given your speed. I have never experienced a time in my dsg gti that dropping down a gear didn't put me right in the power band(and actually, never experienced needing to go down more than a gear in my MT cars either). At 50MPH, I would never be in 6th gear, I would likely be in 5th, maybe even 4th (don't remember the exact rpm @ 50mph for 4th and 5th). Basically I never drive around with the tach below 2000rpm in a 2.0T engined car, and I never did that in a manual or a DSG.

You never drive under 2000 RPM ! If I was driving at 50 at an even speed, the dsg would put the car in sixth unless I specifically ask for it to remain in 4th or 5th.
Like I said, if you have to downshift only one gear, it is the fastest tranny on the market, but that is not always the case in real world driving. Yessss on a track....

SugarHill1

Didn't you just read the past 13 pages? That you want an R over an A3 makes you illogical, and you compound your mistake by preferring a manual over the vastly superior DSG? You must be some sort of emotion driven Luddite. (do I need to put ;), or did you get the sarcasm font?)

Its funny - i thought when i subscribed to this Forum that I would be talking to owners of GOLF R's about their new cars, likes and dislikes and maybe even talk about some cool mods for the car. Instead I see 13 pages of drivel from Wankers, Whiners and wannabes who dont even own a GOLF R. Do I really need you "STEVENCHKIM" to tell me that I should have bought something else? I wanted a fun daily driver with all-wheel drive, 4 doors and a 6 speed manual because Ive been putting too many miles on my Porsche 911 Turbo.

This whole forum is pretty pathetic. I chat on plenty of the Porsche Forums and u rarely, if EVER, find a fellow Porsche owner putting down another owner over his purchase decision.

In your pathetic little mind I very well may be "illogical" but after reading a handful of your posts to other members at least i'm not a douche bag wannabe.. by the way - hows the torque steer on your 500 HP GTI?

I have much better things to do - ill be logging off now.