GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US Golf R Review (Motor Trend)

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I dont have to try hard at all to skip shifts and get better mpg than my DSG friends, but ok.

B.S. — I bet you are all fucking sweaty when you get to work... trying to squeeze those MPGs out of your pathetic manual. We're talking REAL PHYSICAL effort here.

;)

:lol:

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
And what I meant by trying is that it is a concerted and conscious effort. You actually have to mentally alter the way you drive to achieve some phantom results.

So I don't need to mentally alter the way I drive my DSG to achieve different MPG results? It's automatic? No shit!? How come with my lead food I only get about 26mpg average? Shouldn't the DSG just take care of that without me having to make any conscious effort? I want my 33mpgs dammit!

C4L

Banned
I dont have to try hard at all to skip shifts and get better mpg than my DSG friends, but ok.

I have AVERAGED 35.4 mpg on my 32-mile (20 hwy/12 city) commute to work.
I am 100% of the time above 32mpg AVERAGE on this commute.

All I do is get in my car and drive to work to get this result. No skipping gears, no engine braking, no coasting in neutral. Just selecting 'D' and driving.

For me it is all about balance. Both mileage and performance are better.

C4L

Banned
So I don't need to mentally alter the way I drive my DSG to achieve different MPG results? It's automatic? No shit!? How come with my lead food I only get about 26mpg average? Shouldn't the DSG just take care of that without me having to make any conscious effort? I want my 33mpgs dammit!

All I am saying is that given the same driving style, the DSG gets better mileage.

33mpg is the highway rating. The combined rating is about 28mpg for DSG. The combined rating for manual is 25mpg.

Even with your 'lead foot' you are getting mileage than a non lead-foot driver would get in a manual car.

DSG is faster and gets better mileage. Thats it.

0-60 in 5.8 seconds AND 24/33mpg
vs.
0-60 in 6.1 seconds AND 21/31mpg

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I have AVERAGED 35.4 mpg on my 32-mile (20 hwy/12 city) commute to work.
I am 100% of the time above 32mpg AVERAGE on this commute.

All I do is get in my car and drive to work to get this result. No skipping gears, no engine braking, no coasting in neutral. Just selecting 'D' and driving.

For me it is all about balance. Both mileage and performance are better.

highway will be the same between the two - 6th gear.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
All I am saying is that given the same driving style, the DSG gets better mileage.

That may be what you are saying now, but that's not at all what you said before, and I was responding to. What you said before is pure BS and utterly wrong. :thumbsup:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Once again, unsurprisingly, you're wrong.

+1

Just like how you don't have to double clutch anymore. I guess he's never heard of the GM 1-4 skipshift either.. yeesh, the guy writes/works for a car magazine??

C4L

Banned
Once again, unsurprisingly, you're wrong.

So the MT isn't rated at 21/31mpg???
And the DSG isn't rated at 24/33mpg???
And the fastest MT 0-60 time isn't 6.1 seconds???
And the fastest DSG 0-60 time isn't 5.8 seconds???

All of that is 100% true AND with proof. That makes it a fact.

If you can't prove something, it isn't true. And my proof disproves you.

C4L

Banned
+1

Just like how you don't have to double clutch anymore. I guess he's never heard of the GM 1-4 skipshift either.. yeesh, the guy writes/works for a car magazine??

I do not work for a car magainze. I helped C&D once with a test. And i never mentioned anything about double clutch or whatnot.

Please skip from 1-4 all the time and see how long it takes for the transmission to mess up. I doubt the $5 in fuel savings from the better gas mileage will ever net a positive outcome when it comes to the cost of replacing a transmission...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I do not work for a car magainze. I helped C&D once with a test. And i never mentioned anything about double clutch or whatnot.

Please skip from 1-4 all the time and see how long it takes for the transmission to mess up. I doubt the $5 in fuel savings from the better gas mileage will ever net a positive outcome when it comes to the cost of replacing a transmission...

oh ok, the way you have links and the way you talk to/down to people here, indicated otherwise.

the GM/vette was 1-4, I do 4-6 in my car only - its fine. Ratings are one thing, and they are not always right - you should know that. but again, with my skipping shifts I've bettered those with DSG in mpg.