GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UBER-STEALTH Under Floor Sub Install

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
On my 40 minute drive to work this morning I gave the sub/amp a heavy workout, pretty much listening to bass heavy music at vol 19-20 the whole time. When I got to work I opened up the area under the carpet to see if the amp was getting warm at all in it's small enclosed space. It was barely even warm to the touch.

Class D amps run cooler and more efficient for subs, which is why I wanted one, but I wasn't expecting it to be so cool. I'm very impressed, and definitely won't ever need to worry about this thing overheating. :thumbsup:

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
The box came today as expected. I didn't have the time to do much of a test. I stuffed in too much poly fill, so it doesn't sound right yet. I only had 10 minutes to mess with it because I am exhausted. I was at the VW dealer all evening trading in my F150 for a sweet ass black CC 4-motion VR6. It's a bad ass ride man! I love it. Just too tired right now to post more than two pics.

Here is the obligatory top down pic. The fit is PERFECT:

The amp rack that runs under the foam on the right lifted up the foam to match the height of the UBER-STEALTH box just as I had hoped.

Sorry... that's all for now. I'm tired. I should have some time to mess with it tomorrow after work. I'll post some better pictures and comment on sound quality and such after I get it dialed in.

Overall first impression is very good though. :thumbsup:

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
niks box above looks bad-ass...............being in car audio since 1988 it takes alot to surprise me anymore, but everytime i look at that one, man it just makes so much sense.

Well thought out too. Props to Nik

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the compliment. I built the first prototype 3 days after bringing my gti home 4 yrs ago. I bet that box is still in use somewhere. It used bending plywood and was not near as pretty as the current ones. Once I figured out to do the box by stacking layers and built my own Cnc thing got alot better

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
EDIT: All retracted statements are back in, and I'm happy with how it sounds now. Complaints removed, will summarize a few posts down.

After work today I had a chance to remove a lot of the poly fill I had added. After a few tries, I'm confident that it's dialed in, and it sounds better than the F150 box (which already sounded great). It was pretty easy to dial in, and I am very pleased with the results. This whole project is now completely worth the time and money I spent on it.

Nik makes one hell of a nice box though, I'll say that. He didn't cheap out on the external speaker connectors or anything. It's really an impressive piece of gear. Nice work!

Nik has obviously been experimenting with different labeling options, as I've seen a few variations. This one is a piece of black painted wood with the logo carved out. Normally I'm not a logo guy, but it's actually pretty cool, and I like the "Nik made this" feel of it.

As you can see, the sub is protected by the humps on each side. I did test the sub under full volume and it will raise up above the humps, but it makes zero noise if it's hitting the under side of the padded trunk liner. I have no worries at all about it. Because of the lighting, it's hard to see the close side of the hump in the second two pictures since there is no shadow, but it's there.

Overall top down view:

I will say this, it's a shame to cover up such a well executed custom sub box. That's one advantage of the side box — you get to look at it. For me, however, retaining 100% of the hatch space was more important. And here is what you end up with.

You still have access to all 4 tie down points. The front two are a little snugged up behind my velcro mat, but they work and I can use them, so I'm happy.

With the rear ones, the mat tucks right under them, so they are easier to get to.

And here you go, a fully usable no compromise trunk that contains a 10" 300W sub. :thumbsup:

If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask. If you want any more or different pictures, feel free to ask for those too. As far as this whole project is concerned, it's done. I highly recommend every piece of equipment chosen. Everything worked together very well. I feel lucky that I didn't have a bunch of trial and error and returning crap that I wasn't happy with.

Thanks for following my thread so far so that I can be an :attention_whore: for a while.

Last edited:

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
The comment below is retracted — sub sounds great now. Comments a few posts down...

Bumping this for anybody that read it last night. I'm currently not in love with the sound I'm getting out of this sub in this box. I thought it sounded good last night, but after listening to it for 40 minutes this morning, I think the box is too small for the sub I chose. I'm not sure the box is really .65 cubic feet of space. I could measure by filling it with something like small packing peanuts or pebbles, and then measuring how much I was able to fill it with.

It works okay, but I know it can sound better because I listened to it in the other box for 2 weeks.

I edited the post above leaving all the original comments in place, but in gray text and retracted. New thoughts are in blue.

Last edited:

hugoender1

Ready to race!

What are those black bracket things for? I always see people with them in their hatch but I don't know what it's for! (the L-shaped black things)

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
What are those black bracket things for? I always see people with them in their hatch but I don't know what it's for! (the L-shaped black things)

Those are bad ass! There is a velcro mat (loop side) on top of the normal trunk mat. The brackets have the hooked side of the velcro and stick to the trunk mat like glue. They keep stuff from sliding around. I HIGHLY recommend it!

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Those are bad ass! There is a velcro mat (loop side) on top of the normal trunk mat. The brackets have the hooked side of the velcro and stick to the trunk mat like glue. They keep stuff from sliding around. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Oh shnap! I need that! Where do I get it and what is it called!?

hugoender1

Ready to race!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Don't you have a net? I thought they all came with one.

Net works okay, but I never use it since I have the velcro blocks. The blocks are much more useful, especially for cases of beer. :thumbsup:

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
Bumping this for anybody that read it last night. I'm currently not in love with the sound I'm getting out of this sub in this box. I thought it sounded good last night, but after listening to it for 40 minutes this morning, I think the box is too small for the sub I chose. I'm not sure the box is really .65 cubic feet of space. I could measure by filling it with something like small packing peanuts or pebbles, and then measuring how much I was able to fill it with.

It works okay, but I know it can sound better because I listened to it in the other box for 2 weeks.

I edited the post above leaving all the original comments in place, but in gray text and retracted. New thoughts are in blue.

Regarding the sq of the box. There is a trade off from mounting a sub is such a short box. Subs are designed to have a certain amount of depth behind them or they can develop pressure wave that affect the cone.

With that said this is the first issue I have heard of. I believe this if from hearing the sub in a deep box above the floor to a shallow sub under the floor.

When placing a sub in such a tight area there will always be trade offs and compromises, but I feel a majority of people will never notice the SQ difference.