GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of trading in for a M roadster...

Ronsgti

Ready to race!
What do you guys think?

My 2011 gti for a 2006 BMW M roadster?

Payments would go up about $40.00

All opinions welcome.

dav1d

Ready to race!
I wouldn't

skillz1318

Passed Driver's Ed
Depends on what you are looking for, they are both very different cars. I just came from an E46 M3 and couldn't be happier, but I loved that car.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I had an M Roadster, and I loved that car. The power delivery is so linear and the torque is wonderful. Clutch... Transmission.... Brakes.. all great. However, I only had it for 1.5 years. It was small and completely impractical. Fun as hell though! It'd be a great second car. Mine was a 2000, so not nearly as powerful as the 2006 you are looking at. My only performance complaint was the relatively sloppy roadster chassis. I think the Z4 based ones are stiffer though. The rest was great. Exhaust note was epic with the roof down.

For the price though, I'd rather have a K04 GTI.

Obligatory pic of said car:

bmxr

Ready to race!
It depends on what matters most to you. RWD, better handling and brakes, six cylinder, but barely room for you and a backpack... or room for five with luggage, still pretty fun to drive, but spinning the fronts everywhere you go....

razr

+50 hp spark plugs
can you do without the space of a hatch? and 40 more dollars for an older car?

i wouldnt

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
I don't know, do you want an apple or an orange? these cars could pretty much not be further apart, so buy whatever it is that you want. questions like this should be "gti, wrx, or mazdaspeed3?". also, do you really expect overwhelmingly unbiased opinions? I mean you are on golfmk6.com, so I'm going to guess that most people like mk6 golf cars...

that all being said the BMW e36/8 m coupe is my all time favorite car, so buy that one, it's slightly more comparable to a gti, I mean it has a hatch...

CFG9000

Ready to race!
This is one of those trades that sounds like fun at first, but I'll bet you'd grow tired of it quickly and wish you had some of the GTI's utility back.

I'd say just put some money into the GTI.

dasgti

Ready to race!
Rwd BMW's are some of if not the best handling street cars made. However, I think they lack the character of a VDub. The GTI just does everything you could ever want in a car. Plus its a sleeper. BMW well....its a BMW.

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
If you're even thinking about it - then YES, DO IT. Life is so short, experience as much as you can. Two of my favorite "fun" cars where a 1968 MGB and a 1974 FIAT X19. Both small, impractical 2 seaters I kept only a short time each, but enjoyed them with no regets.

dav1d

Ready to race!
I've heard a lot of talk on this forum from people who came into a gti from a BMW and most seem to be happier with their gti (I'm one of those people)

CW GTi1

Ready to race!
How many miles? BMW's can get very expensive quick once they are out of warranty and start racking up some miles, so i would be careful, other than that it is a great car that is a ton of fun.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
How many miles? BMW's can get very expensive quick once they are out of warranty and start racking up some miles, so i would be careful, other than that it is a great car that is a ton of fun.

This. If this is going to be your primary car, it's going to be get expensive to service over the long term. Your GTI is a much more practical long term car but the M will be more fun to drive.