GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of trading in for a M roadster...

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
You mention your payments going up $40/mo, but what about cost of repairs and maintenance? If you can afford it and don't need the practicality of the GTI, go for it!

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
What do you guys think?

My 2011 gti for a 2006 BMW M roadster?

Payments would go up about $40.00

All opinions welcome.

The BMW M Roadster is a fantastic car, one of the best in the world. But as stated, it is very small and more of a toy. On a financial point, you said $40/month more, but that is very misleading. That six-year old car may cost $40 per month PLUS many thousands for that first inevitable repair and more money for maintenance. Used BMWs are money traps. They WILL breakdown and they WILL cost a lot to repair. That’s why most people lease them and dump them after the warranty expires. Cash flow uncertainly is far too great with a used BMW. While they are great cars to drive, they’re also like a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode. If you buy it, be prepared for huge future unexpected repair bills. If your budget can only handle that $40/month, don’t buy it.

skillz1318

Passed Driver's Ed
Maintenance costs were one of the reasons I was happy to get rid of my M3. If you do not DIY it gets extremely expensive! Oil changes are usually $200-350 depending on the shop (they require 10W-60 oil), and inspection 1 and 2 are around $1500-2000 every 15k. Repairs as well are obviously very expensive due to higher cost for parts and increased labor costs.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I will chime back in to agree on the maintenance stuff. That was the other big reason I sold mine, along with the aforementioned complete impracticality.

Buckshot

Passed Driver's Ed
Maintenance costs were one of the reasons I was happy to get rid of my M3. If you do not DIY it gets extremely expensive! Oil changes are usually $200-350 depending on the shop (they require 10W-60 oil), and inspection 1 and 2 are around $1500-2000 every 15k. Repairs as well are obviously very expensive due to higher cost for parts and increased labor costs.

I DIYed the repairs and maintenance on my M3. It was still expensive! Especially any BMW Motorsports-specific parts. Of course, that was a few years ago, before BMW was giving the ///M treatment to nearly every vehicle in the lineup, but I bet it remains the case.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Ok can we get the financial details on that?

The Z4M is about 25k...

Ronsgti

Ready to race!
It's 26k with about 30k miles. You guys are right about the service pretty expensive. I had an s2000 before the gti. Do you guys think the M is pretty much the same?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It's 26k with about 30k miles. You guys are right about the service pretty expensive. I had an s2000 before the gti. Do you guys think the M is pretty much the same?

Same as what? The S2k is dirt cheap to own compared to an M.

You have to do a valve adjustment every 15k miles on the M it costs $700-800
The oil change will run you $70-80 in parts alone or $200 at the dealer. It uses specific 10w60 castrol oil you can only get at BMW dealers.

Brakes are really expensive, so are tires

Etc etc.

hpowders

Ready to race!
There is nothing like the feel of a RWD BMW. However, I find the GTI more tossable in the turns. BMW's are getting too heavy and too technologically complicated-needlessly so. Pretty easy to get used to the GTI's 28 mpg too.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
BMW M series that is out of warranty, Hill NO!

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
Just throwing this out there, knowing the potential for HUGE repair bulls and maintenance costs, what would you pay for that car? Forget the books. How much would the current owner of that car have to discount the price to compensate you for the financial risk of owning the car?

CW GTi1

Ready to race!
Same as what? The S2k is dirt cheap to own compared to an M.

You have to do a valve adjustment every 15k miles on the M it costs $700-800
The oil change will run you $70-80 in parts alone or $200 at the dealer. It uses specific 10w60 castrol oil you can only get at BMW dealers.

Brakes are really expensive, so are tires

Etc etc.
You can buy the oil online (http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...ynthetic-oil-e46-m3-e39-m5-e60-m5-e9x-m3.aspx) Also the parts arent what cost you big money on older BMW's, it is the labor that the BMW dealerships charge. If you do a lot of your own stuff it won't be nearly as much to maintain instead of taking it to the stealership. But yes, compared to the s2000, it will seem expensive to maintain.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
My uncle let me drive his Z3 once, he encouraged me to flog it through the turns and mash the gas, etc. It was awesome. If you have money and don't need the space of the GTI, I would do it!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You can buy the oil online (http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...ynthetic-oil-e46-m3-e39-m5-e60-m5-e9x-m3.aspx) Also the parts arent what cost you big money on older BMW's, it is the labor that the BMW dealerships charge. If you do a lot of your own stuff it won't be nearly as much to maintain instead of taking it to the stealership. But yes, compared to the s2000, it will seem expensive to maintain.

$14.50 a quart and 7 quarts are needed. :laugh: how is that not expensive... Price some OEM brake pads/rotors. As well as OEM run crap tires.