GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ruined motor at 4,000 miles

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
How would the engine be effected theres a rev limiter and fuel cut off, maybe the transmission or clutch.

what damage so far?

mine wont let me go into lower gears from higher gears above certain speeds, thought that was a safety feature in MT's

Both the Miata and the 5.0 have an electronic fuel cut for instances like this, but I suppose you can never escape the mechanical aspects. It's on, and it went into first at 60mph... shit's gonna break.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
If the dealer took the engine apart to diagnose the problem... Then technically the dealer needs to put the engine back together in the same broken condition that you brought the car in.

Because it is a "money shift" the dealer knows that warranty isnt gonna pay for the labor involved taking the engine apart or putting it back together... But by law they have to return the car back to you the same condition.

So you use this in your favor and agree to pay for just the parts...

I did a money shift in my BMW and got the cost down to 1/2 of what the original cost was by doing this.

Or you can just take it to a good indie shop and use the money to get forged internals so you can go stage 4 turbo... Or find a TSI motor and drop it in...

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
How would the engine be effected theres a rev limiter and fuel cut off, maybe the transmission or clutch.

what damage so far?

mine wont let me go into lower gears from higher gears above certain speeds, thought that was a safety feature in MT's

That is there to protect over revving the engine... But nothing will protect you from a mechanical over rev which is what this case is...

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Good idea....... How big was that dog my wife swerved to avoid hitting.....

IF you choose that route, delete this thread ASAP.

Not saying I would or would not go that route. Just saying.

CornRecce

Passed Driver's Ed
So, all this talk of the engine is great. I want to hear about how your wife freaked out and how she is going to repay you

allset

Go Kart Champion
That is there to protect over revving the engine... But nothing will protect you from a mechanical over rev which is what this case is...

interesting, ive purposely tried to go from 4th to 1st at 50mph to see if it had the governor, would let me do it until i got below 35mph.

i assumed we had a governor or some thing.

good to know

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
interesting, ive purposely tried to go from 4th to 1st at 50mph to see if it had the governor, would let me do it until i got below 35mph.

i assumed we had a governor or some thing.

good to know

The Miata also has a mechanical lockout that won't let me go into first unless I'm STOPPED.

Or maybe it's just broken. It's a toss up, really. :lol:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!

That is so horrible dude... I am so sorry.

allset

Go Kart Champion
if u cleared the codes after that, would it erase the info about the 8500 rpm downshift? or is that stored somewhere else?

toby83404

Small things

So, all this talk of the engine is great. I want to hear about how your wife freaked out and how she is going to repay you

People may not agree buy really these are the small things in life..... Many of you have experienced real challenges. My wife is great and life will go on.....

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
People may not agree buy really these are the small things in life..... Many of you have experienced real challenges. My wife is great and life will go on.....

:clap:

webcrawlr

Ready to race!

That's not a safety feature, it's your syncro's telling you to stop trying to shift in to first gear or you'll f something up. If the car doesn't slide in to first with little to no effort and you force it you'll be taking a trip to the dealer to drop the trans. No bueno.

wavygravy

Passed Driver's Ed

+1.. engine could be replaced. it could've been worst.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Listen I'm going to tell you exactly what I think ok....your wife has no idea how to drive stick, and please don't even try to argue that she does and that she just made a mistake .... Because I have never done anything like that or even come close neither has anybody that I know....
That being said how could you let your wife drive your new baby if she doesn't even know how?

I just puked in the bathroom this is making me sick!!!

Cost is on you