GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ruined motor at 4,000 miles

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't first get locked out after 10mph? I call BS on this story.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
People may not agree buy really these are the small things in life..... Many of you have experienced real challenges. My wife is great and life will go on.....
:thumbsup: It's a car, who cares. What matters is that your wife is safe and sound.

Call VW and see what they would be willing to do, otherwise, call your insurance company. Or call a local VW shop and go BT with beefed up internals for probably not too much more money.

Doesn't first get locked out after 10mph? I call BS on this story.
If you do it hard enough you will go through the lock out feature.

zippy88

Passed Driver's Ed
There is no lockout on any forward gears. The resistance you feel when shifting into 1st is your synchros crying as they are pushed past their limits. Yes it's hard to do the shift, but if you are fast and shift hard like you are drag racing its possible.

Also, never shift to first while the car is moving, it's too much strain on the synchro and even the manual says to bring the car to a full stop before making the shift.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I just saw your thread about wanting to go stage 3+

Well since your motor needs to come apart anyway for a rebuild.... Might as well go stage 3+ or stage 4 since you have a good reason to get new forged internals.

Just tell the wife the motor and turbo is effed... So need to send the motor to APR for rebuild and turbo... Since she feels bad she won't say no.

Otoh I bet you knew your wife would money shift the engine so you can find a good reason to go stage 3 or 4... In that case... Well played:)

EXACTLY. "Money Shift" indeed. "Money Shift" = "Guilt free APR AWD Supercar" You are a Smooth Operating Ninja.

fraydknot

Passed Driver's Ed
People may not agree buy really these are the small things in life..... Many of you have experienced real challenges. My wife is great and life will go on.....

Sorry to hear about the situation. But I would go the insurance route.With that being said. I do understand why you are being so sweet to your wife about this. It's called "FEAR".... If she can rip that stick into first at 60 mph, she can most likely rip your stick off. :fighting0030:

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion

This is a great attitude man. Good luck getting your car up and running again. :clap:

toby83404

Stage 3 and stage 4

I just saw your thread about wanting to go stage 3+

Well since your motor needs to come apart anyway for a rebuild.... Might as well go stage 3+ or stage 4 since you have a good reason to get new forged internals.

Just tell the wife the motor and turbo is effed... So need to send the motor to APR for rebuild and turbo... Since she feels bad she won't say no.

Otoh I bet you knew your wife would money shift the engine so you can find a good reason to go stage 3 or 4... In that case... Well

toby83404

My engine knowledge ends at stage 3......what can you tell me about stage 4????? Who does the mods????? How much for the engine?????? What additional upgrades are required?????? Does the car need to be shipped to an installer????? Is reliability an issue? (My wife is no longer allowed to drive my stuff)

I would appreciate answers to any of these questions.....

Thanks

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
My engine knowledge ends at stage 3......what can you tell me about stage 4????? Who does the mods????? How much for the engine?????? What additional upgrades are required?????? Does the car need to be shipped to an installer????? Is reliability an issue? (My wife is no longer allowed to drive my stuff)

I would appreciate answers to any of these questions.....

Thanks

Here is the part list from the VW Vortex Super Beetle page (essentially its a GolfR drivetrain swapped into a Beetle)

- APR Stage IV GTX Turbocharger System
- APR Boost Tap
- APR High Pressure Fuel Pump
- APR Low Pressure Fueling System
- APR Rail Pressure Release Valve
- APR Intercooler System
- APR Stage IV ECU Upgrade with ESP Delete
- APR Stage IV High Flow Head
- APR Stage IV High Flow Intake Manifold RF Delete
- APR Stage IV Low Pressure Fueling System
- APR Stage IV High Strength Coated Pistons & Wrist Pins
- APR Stage IV High Strength Connecting Rods & Bearings
- APR Stage IV Balanced Rotating Assembly

- APR RSC Turboback Exhaust System
- DXD Racing Stage III Clutch
- Volkswagen Racing Short Shifter

Essentially the majority of this stuff are things you are gonna need to replace on your motor because of the money shift...

If you want to go the cheap route just replace the head and valves as long as the pistons are ok... but since the engine is gonna be apart might as well go all in (that's essentially what I did when I screwed my engine from overheating... no it's ready for an APR Stage 3+ system)

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/project-cars/superbeetle/super-beetle-engine-work-begins/

As long as you know a good local installer should be fine. Lucky for me I have a good local shop out here in Socal that did my engine build 25,000 miles ago with many hard track days and the engine is running strong as ever. As long as everything is done right it will be reliable. My engine builder gave me a 2 year 10,000 mile warranty on their work. The good thing is that If I wanted to got stage 3+ on my car I know my engine can take it:)

If you don't know anyone local that is reliable, then just have APR do all the work to take out all the guess work just like in VW Vortex's SuperBeetle project. OTOH if you know a local VW/ Audi shop that wants to get their name out I bet you can work out a sponsorship with that shop on the labor since this will be one of 3 VW Golf R's (yours, APR's Golf R, and the VW Vortex SuperBeetle) in the country with a stage 4 setup.

Last edited:

legandrex

Ready to race!
My dad did a 1-2-1 wide open in his 1989 vette back in the day. I was about 16 at the time and I'll never forget hearing the rear tires drag and rpm's maxing out on tach. No damage other than his pride. That sucks man not vw's fault though. My wife drives my car once in awhile and I have no fear of her doing something like I just cross my fingers she won't curb a wheel.

freedomgli

Passed Driver's Ed
I have no clue why anyone is suggesting you file an insurance claim to handle this. Fact is you don't have insurance coverage that will cover the mechanical abuse of your vehicle. The cost of any repairs is 100% on you.

legandrex

Ready to race!
I have no clue why anyone is suggesting you file an insurance claim to handle this. Fact is you don't have insurance coverage that will cover the mechanical abuse of your vehicle. The cost of any repairs is 100% on you.

Why not? It was an honest mistake/driver error. If you make a driving error and rear end someone or hit a tree you are able to make a claim....how is this any different?

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I only see two ways to approach this problem

1. Get the engine replaced with something either new or used.
2. Get APR to rebuild your engine and upgrade the hell out of it. 500hp :D

Either way its gonna be expensive and either way you'll be loosing your warranty. Like someone mentioned VW will play the blame game once they know what happened to the engine.

freedomgli

Passed Driver's Ed
Why not? It was an honest mistake/driver error. If you make a driving error and rear end someone or hit a tree you are able to make a claim....how is this any different?

Simply put, no matter who your insurance company, your policy doesn't cover breakdowns due to mechanical misuse or abuse. Period. If you don't believe me, read the fine print of your own policy or contact your insurance company yourself.