GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 IC or SPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I would be willing to bet the majority of folks here don't track their cars (could be wrong).

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Right.....but there is a point where airflow is not enough. Its the ability to dissipate that heat more efficiently. The continual boost and heat the turbo is pushing easily overcomes the OEM setup, even with increased airflow. You need more FPI, more flow to counteract the added heat and stress. This is not brand v brand. This is simple heat transfer and thermodynamics. You will benefit even from an s3 unit but at some point you will reach its threshold of cooling efficiency as well

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

right, but he's saying in his situation, it wouldn't matter if its on lap x vs lap y and honestly, I've had no issues with tracking with the S3 IC, both with stock turbo and K04, because of the air flow you get while at speed out there.

I would be willing to bet the majority of folks here don't track their cars (could be wrong).

as previously stated ;)

A_Bowers

right, but he's saying in his situation, it wouldn't matter if its on lap x vs lap y and honestly, I've had no issues with tracking with the S3 IC, both with stock turbo and K04, because of the air flow you get while at speed out there.

as previously stated ;)

Agreed....now I'm sure as you will find out, your new setup will yield you more power for longer durations once you get going.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Veracity

Ready to race!
right, but he's saying in his situation, it wouldn't matter if its on lap x vs lap y.

While there will be a drop in performance with any intercooler after the first few laps once you reach a near steady state operating temp, the drop off will be significantly less with an upgraded unit. All do not heat soak to the same point.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
While there will be a drop in performance with any intercooler after the first few laps once you reach a near steady state operating temp, the drop off will be significantly less with an upgraded unit. All do not heat soak to the same point.

this is obvious. The question here is what is the real difference, how noticeable will it be, and is it worth $600 to upgrade.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
It's hard to gauge performance gains when you haven't experienced them with each mod you do to your car. Admittedly, I don't have graphs stating performance of OEM IC vs SPM IC vs Brand X IC but I can tell you that as a cog in the wheel to K04; there is a significant improvement in throttle response. I know this is just words on a page so you should experience it for yourself. I bet you would retract your statements on the first drive after an upgraded unit at stage I+ or stage II

Veracity

Ready to race!
While there MAY be a significant difference in slower driving, the extra airflow seen at the track will do a lot to equalize the various IC options.

If stock is heat-soaked from lap 1 and the best IC still ends up heatsoaked on lap 3, that is not a real benefit to me.

^^^ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've been saying this for over a year by now, and finally someone else can back me up on it.

All do not heat soak to the same point.

this is obvious. The question here is what is the real difference, how noticeable will it be, and is it worth $600 to upgrade.

Sounds like its not obvious to everyone. Street logs done at higher speeds are applicable IMO to the track. There might be a slight difference but the data can be used to make a reasonable judgement. Also keep in mind you'll generate much more heat overall on the track vs. typical spirited driving.

For a K04 setup I agree its not a straightforward choice and depends a lot on climate. If you don't feel much power loss with the S3 intercooler it may not be worth the weight penalty to go with a bigger intercooler.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
street logs/pulls essentially, where you have to stop or slow down quite often, then start again = track sessions lasting 20mins or more, going average speed of 60mph, with highs at approx 120mph with constant airflow... got it. :rolleyes:

Also... riiiiiiiight, at 90 degree weather and high humidity in each situation, the IC obviously WON'T get more air coming in at a track day (see above), than in stop in go traffic inching along and starting/pulling/stopping and repeat.... :rolleyes:

Lou Maiuri

Banned
s3 with hoses ~ same price as SPM unit with hoses. If you want to offset the added weight, get rid of the spare tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.