GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Lag when shifting...

Beans114

Ready to race!
when i shift very fast it seems that the next gear i'm in spends about 2k rpm out of boost. Say i floor it in second, and shift to third around 6k fast, 3rd gear will gain speed but its obvious the turbo doesnt kick in for the first few thousand rpms that I'm in third.. I don't get it.. are gti owners supposed to completely let of the pedal before shifting to fix this? will a BOV help?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
So basically you want to keep your boost levels up during shifts? You would need a WOT box.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
is there anything I can make more clear?

Are you saying your car loses power after shifts? You should be in/around your peak power-band if you shift at 6k you should be at 4k or so in the next gear.

Beans114

Ready to race!
yes. when i shift at about 6k or around the first seconds spent in my next gear do NOT feel like I'm in boost... and then towards the end of the gear I'll feel the turbo definitely kick in ..is this normal? I'm APR stage II if this helps.

Merkle

Banned
when i shift very fast it seems that the next gear i'm in spends about 2k rpm out of boost. Say i floor it in second, and shift to third around 6k fast, 3rd gear will gain speed but its obvious the turbo doesnt kick in for the first few thousand rpms that I'm in third.. I don't get it.. are gti owners supposed to completely let of the pedal before shifting to fix this? will a BOV help?

Traction control dumps the boost. It causes a very violent shift, when you let out of the clutch there is no power, car actually will slow down for a split second then go. It's a horrible way to keep the tires from spinning but effective.

Try this. Get on it, short shift with TC on, then do the same thing with it off. I'll bet this cures the problem.

Beans114

Ready to race!
Merkle: for real ? I just got my car mounted with super sports today so maybe I can get away without it now.. So short shifting with tcc on with cause no power as soon as I shift?

Merkle

Banned
Merkle: for real ? I just got my car mounted with super sports today so maybe I can get away without it now.. So short shifting with tcc on with cause no power as soon as I shift?

It sounds like what you're describing with a loss of power. It's almost as if you were driving along, short shifted and never got back on the gas. That's essentially what the TC system does to prevent wheel spin under load while shifting.