GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Lag when shifting...

Beans114

Ready to race!
Anyway, the traction control thing didn't do a thing.. If i shift very fast, I loose all power as soon as hitting the next gear. I'm APR stage II and will definitely be contacting them Monday morning to fix this BIG problem.

apa11393: I read that thread and that sounds exactly like what's up.. somehow the fast shifting is inducing a safemode or whatever the term was and cutting power. Just another thing to worry about.

Merkle

Banned
Anyway, the traction control thing didn't do a thing.. If i shift very fast, I loose all power as soon as hitting the next gear. I'm APR stage II and will definitely be contacting them Monday morning to fix this BIG problem.

apa11393: I read that thread and that sounds exactly like what's up.. somehow the fast shifting is inducing a safemode or whatever the term was and cutting power. Just another thing to worry about.

Shit man sorry to hear that. Hope you can get it all worked out.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Unplug the maf on your intake and the problem will be completley fixed. Your car won't make as much power and it will get awful gas mileage but it works as a temporary fix.

jernigan007

Ready to race!
with my 6MT and stage 1 tune, i only feel a slight lag when at WOT after 4th. power kinda dips for 1 sec. i assume its the tune and restrictive stock piping o_O

hightechrdn

You should run a VAGCOM scan to see if you have any codes stored which haven't set off a CEL. This is pretty much the first step in VAG troubleshooting for driveability issues. Second, you should do some logging using VAGCOM and try to capture the event. The data will go a long way in showing whether there is actually a problem or not.

With my 2012 GTI 6spd and APR Stage 2+, there was definitely some boost lag with HW mostly stock HW besides intake and exhaust. Installing a S3 FMIC and just recently, aftermarket hardpipes (TOP and IOP) with a AWE/BW vacuum operated DV have made a world of difference in boost responsiveness just after an upshift. The power is 'right now' without the sag in power output. (I also ditched the Forge atmospheric DV spacer, which may have been adding some lag feeling.)

Good luck.

Beans114

Ready to race!
Hightechrdn. I think the only thing that helped your boost was replacing the dv.. Wait, you don't have a piston type like all 2012 owners got stock ?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
This problem has nothing to do with turbo lag the dv is irrelivent. It also won't throw any codes so a vagcom scan won't get you any answers.

OldDirty

Ready to race!
Power cuts between gear changes are very common among tuned 6mt owners. It's not turbo lag, it's an annoying problem that I've been trying to figure out for over a year now.

I wouldn't exactly call it common....the vast majority of people don't have this problem. What kind of intake do you guys have?

hightechrdn

Hightechrdn. I think the only thing that helped your boost was replacing the dv.. Wait, you don't have a piston type like all 2012 owners got stock ?

Yes, I had a piston type DV like everyone else with a TSI. I went with the BW EFR DV rebuild kit and made up a resistor plug, but it is the same setup as the AWE kit really. This mod is described on this and other forums. Plenty of other people have had very positive feedback on switching to the mechanical DV setup, whether it be with the BW direct replacement or a DV relocation kit.

This problem has nothing to do with turbo lag the dv is irrelivent. It also won't throw any codes so a vagcom scan won't get you any answers.

I was offering some advise on mods to help turbo spool and flat spots between shifts. If there turns out not to be an issue with the tune or HW fault, then it could be useful information.

The OP described the turbo not kicking in for several thousand RPM. Since we don't have any specific data, rpm points, etc, it could just be normal turbo lag, though 'lag' isn't the best word to use and it may be caused by a number of things besides being outside of the best operating conditions for the turbo. Tuning, weak/slow DV, hitting a soft limp mode, or just normal operation could all cause it to 'feel' like the engine isn't pulling as hard as it should, since feel is subjective.

Why are you so against using vagcom? It should be a first step to run a scan, even if it is just to rule out malfunctions picked up by the ECU. For example, my GTI will log HP fuel rail pressure too high faults from time to time, causing a 'cut out' when shifting, but only rarely sets a CEL for the problem. (changed HP fuel rail pressure sensor recently, but haven't checked whether it resolved the issue).

Unless there is already an updated tune that addresses this specific issue, the next step will surely be logging some runs using vagcom if there aren't any stored faults. Comparing actual vs commanded values should show pretty quickly whether there is a malfunction. This is APR's normal procedure for troubleshooting.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I was offering some advise on mods to help turbo spool and flat spots between shifts. If there turns out not to be an issue with the tune or HW fault, then it could be useful information.

The OP described the turbo not kicking in for several thousand RPM. Since we don't have any specific data, rpm points, etc, it could just be normal turbo lag, though 'lag' isn't the best word to use and it may be caused by a number of things besides being outside of the best operating conditions for the turbo. Tuning, weak/slow DV, hitting a soft limp mode, or just normal operation could all cause it to 'feel' like the engine isn't pulling as hard as it should, since feel is subjective.

Why are you so against using vagcom? It should be a first step to run a scan, even if it is just to rule out malfunctions picked up by the ECU. For example, my GTI will log HP fuel rail pressure too high faults from time to time, causing a 'cut out' when shifting, but only rarely sets a CEL for the problem. (changed HP fuel rail pressure sensor recently, but haven't checked whether it resolved the issue).

Unless there is already an updated tune that addresses this specific issue, the next step will surely be logging some runs using vagcom if there aren't any stored faults. Comparing actual vs commanded values should show pretty quickly whether there is a malfunction. This is APR's normal procedure for troubleshooting.
? I use vagcom all the time I was telling op that this problem wont throw any codes because ive tried at least 5 times.

Beans114

Ready to race!
Ok, a lot of people are saying that a south bend clutch fixes this problem for (whatever) reason. I was thinking .. Is it possible that this means the stock clutch doesn't kick in fast enough during a fast shift meaning that we therefore rev our engines in nutral and it is in fact the rev limiter causing this ?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Ok, a lot of people are saying that a south bend clutch fixes this problem for (whatever) reason. I was thinking .. Is it possible that this means the stock clutch doesn't kick in fast enough during a fast shift meaning that we therefore rev our engines in nutral and it is in fact the rev limiter causing this ?
A southbend clutch wont fix this, I know because I have a southbend clutch. This issue is being caused by your tune.