GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has switched tunes between APR and Unitronic - and why?

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Very true. As long as everything holds true and doesn't shit the bed I think I should be ok. Bender how are you liking the GIAC tune (feel free to PM me if you want. No need to start a war in here and not trying to thread jack :))

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Very true. As long as everything holds true and doesn't shit the bed I think I should be ok. Bender how are you liking the GIAC tune (feel free to PM me if you want. No need to start a war in here and not trying to thread jack :))

I would love to see GIAC K04 data. There is a sticky in this section of logs and graphs of different tunes but there is not 1 GIAC log in there.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I would love to see GIAC K04 data. There is a sticky in this section of logs and graphs of different tunes but there is not 1 GIAC log in there.
I think they will look similar to Uni logs. I know GIAC uses more timing advance and runs 20psi just like Uni. I gotta run some logs..

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if GIAC runs a little stronger. I saw a video of 3 gtis on a highway run (APR k04, GIAC k04, APR gt28) and GIAC held until up top with the BT kit. I wonder if it was a driver situation or something else. All speculation though without knowing empirical data

PatrickGTIVI

Ready to race!
Its more consistent, too, right? With the boost route, your manifold pressures and duty cycle would variate with ambient conditions, correct?

Obviously that can be managed through cooling and timing as well.

Absolutely agree on the consistency, with a well-managed tune that provides good throttle characteristics and less spikes your longevity goes way up. Another great point on the ambient conditions, the computer should still retain the ability to manage for temperature/humidity/fuel and manage knock,etc... so those variable environmental conditions are the biggest factor in getting a consistent tune imo. When you introduce spikes in boost and don't properly mitigate for environmental conditions, you stress components and reduce the longevity.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I will be following the same route as Matt / Mdhollis with Aquamist HFS-4 DPI and Uni's W/M file. If anyone wants more background on the methodology for switching tunes, please check out my build thread in my signature, in the build thread there is a link for the Uni Stage 2+ review.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
This isn't rocket science. It sounds like APR needs to touch up their K04 tune. I think the best bet is a custom tune.

VW needs open source tuning and support desperately. This is all kind of ridiculous.

turbo_sandwich

Passed Driver's Ed
After seeing this online, I'm sticking to someone else, unless their tune does this too. Looks like Uni was caught turning knock sensor sensitivity down and some people are breaking pistons. I don't exactly know what that means, but I know I don't have enough money to mess around with my engine on that level.

Storch

Go Kart Champion
After seeing this online, I'm sticking to someone else, unless their tune does this too. Looks like Uni was caught turning knock sensor sensitivity down and some people are breaking pistons. I don't exactly know what that means, but I know I don't have enough money to mess around with my engine on that level.

links to the "some ppl" who have been breaking pistons? i google searched, searched here and vortex, didnt see anything