GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has switched tunes between APR and Unitronic - and why?

ryanrich1

Ready to race!
After seeing this online, I'm sticking to someone else, unless their tune does this too. Looks like Uni was caught turning knock sensor sensitivity down and some people are breaking pistons. I don't exactly know what that means, but I know I don't have enough money to mess around with my engine on that level.

lol, I HIGHLY doubt that is true. Source?

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
na i dont buy it. never heard of uni doing it. revo was rumored to desensitize the knock sensors but that isnt/wasnt true, as far as i can confirm.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
After seeing this online, I'm sticking to someone else, unless their tune does this too. Looks like Uni was caught turning knock sensor sensitivity down and some people are breaking pistons. I don't exactly know what that means, but I know I don't have enough money to mess around with my engine on that level.

First of all this is completely unrelated to this thread and a pathetic scare tactic. This is not from a OTS stage 2+ tune. Also you wrote some people which means its plural but you post one picture.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
The funny thing is you have a couple of really smart people in this thread discussing the tunes. One of them is a engineer and they are both saying the UNI tune is the way to go. Then we get a pic of a melted piston on a car that isn't even running the tune we are discussing. GOAPR!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
It's posted on Facebook. I will find the owner and ask him to post.

First off this was in Africa and I believe they were running a Euro or custom tune. They received a knock sensor voltage too high error at 140mph on a dyno when testing the custom tune. The OTS tunes in the US will not lead to this.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Are these logs of apr and uni with w/m?

Bender1

Banned

This is like the bigfoot of the VW world. There is always another tuner that is accused of turning down the knock sensor and a few people have "seen it" but no one shares the info.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I want to switch tunes from my apr stage 2 to revo or unitronic but most people here seem to be talking about unitronic so...

ryanrich1

Ready to race!
I want to switch tunes from my apr stage 2 to revo or unitronic but most people here seem to be talking about unitronic so...

I'm running the latest revo stage 2 file and I'm very happy. Bonus is the ability to switch between 3 maps based on octane and put to stock if required. Does Unitronic also have map switching like APR and revo?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm running the latest revo stage 2 file and I'm very happy. Bonus is the ability to switch between 3 maps based on octane and put to stock if required. Does Unitronic also have map switching like APR and revo?

No.

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
The logs I've seen show A LOT of timing with zero CF. It wouldn't of caught my attention until I realized the cars are consistently pulling 0 CF and that rarely ever happens in perfect conditions with a weak timing map. In my experience, I've yet to see a car pulling 16-18* BTDC on an aggressive K04 file and not show a hint of CF.

This is a pretty bold innuendo to throw out there.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
This is like the bigfoot of the VW world. There is always another tuner that is accused of turning down the knock sensor and a few people have "seen it" but no one shares the info.

It been going on Since 2000 with 1.8t most of the time all bs. Its funny with the fsi BT injectors one tuner said RS4 are needed and flow more and s-3 couldn't support much power gain and would be dangerous. Guess what same tuner just. Tuned there BT kits to run s3 and to boot increased power levels 30% + more now lol. I guess smaller is the new big lol what a joke. BTW I can show a cracked piston / ring landing that cost me thousands out of pocket to rebuild from the so call "tuning gods" learning to tune on my FSI back in 07 or the exploding 1.8t motor on the Dyno at the tuner challenge lol The guess another pot calling the kettle black yet again lol.