GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 tune vs stock youtube video breakdown

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Firstly i do not own this video, at 1:56 the stage 1 vs stock comparison is shown. Here is how it breaks down approximately on paper. Video below comparison numbers.

Stage 1 vs Stock mph comparison
stg1intake/stock
50/48.5 mph
60/57 mph
70/65.5 mph
80/75.5 mph
90/83 mph
100/90 mph

90-100 mph time lapse
stg1+intake/stock
2.68 s / 4.625 s

40-100 mph time lapse
stg1+intake/stock
11.45 s / 15.75 s

Times are estimated by stop watch and play/plause. Shifting points varied.

1:56 for side by side

Nitron

Ready to race!
Nice vid, but I didn't notice a difference. I'm on the fence with stage 1, and I'm going to need a test drive before I pop my cherry ECU. I don't race or floor it, so I'm not even sure I'll experience the benefits.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Nice vid, but I didn't notice a difference. I'm on the fence with stage 1, and I'm going to need a test drive before I pop my cherry ECU. I don't race or floor it, so I'm not even sure I'll experience the benefits.

Ah famous pre-tuned words ;)

Outside of freeway merging, I don't floor it either. Mostly due to living in a big city and fear of cops but whatever. I do step on it now and then for half or a full gear now and then. Still brings smiles to my face every single time. Power is very useable for daily driving and passing so there is that benefit on tap whenever you should need it.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion

How did you not see the difference, when stage 1 was at 100mph stock was at 90mph. Overall stage 1 was over 4 seconds faster to 100 from 40 mph.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Ah famous pre-tuned words ;)

Outside of freeway merging, I don't floor it either. Mostly due to living in a big city and fear of cops but whatever. I do step on it now and then for half or a full gear now and then. Still brings smiles to my face every single time. Power is very useable for daily driving and passing so there is that benefit on tap whenever you should need it.

yep, exactly my thinking. 4.4 seconds faster to 100 from 40 mph. Thats worth $600 anyway you look at it.

Last edited:

Nitron

Ready to race!
I believe you guys, I just wanna try it first for my driving style and crowded freeways. I asked GIAC if I could test drive their car...they said NO.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
stock to stage 1 is incredibly noticeable, it's like driving a different car all together.

This. You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner if you finally do.

Stage 1 increases usable power throughout the band..mainly torque. It's something you'll notice even without flooring it, just derping around town. These cars should have come this way stock.

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
ugh... this video may finally convince me. Just wish there was a reputable dealer less than 1 hour away from me in south Jersey.

aimalick

Ready to race!
thanks for posting, good to see it side by side.
put me on the list of 'i cant believe i didnt do this sooner'... stage 1 rocks my nuts.

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
Same here. So itching to get Stage 1. Only stopping me is the clutch. Right now it has 20K miles on it. Don't really know when it will give out.

KO7

Ready to race!
I keep fighting the Stage 1/2 urge, and even had 1 tuning shop and 1 dealership advise against it, but threads and videos like these don't help at all.

Aside from the risk of the ECU failing, I'm also not sure I want to pay for the additional maintenance and wear and tear required of going Stage 1/2.

Guess I need to test drive someone local's tuned car to see if it's worth it to me.

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Stage 1 is a minimum. You dont have to do heavy mods, maybe stage 1 and a kn drop in, with cat back exhaust if you want sound. I have about 2000 miles on my car, just got the tint done today (pinnacle 40 all around) and I plan on getting the next APR fully loaded stage 1 sale. It doesnt put much extra stress on the car, from my research just get r8 coil and possibly upgraded motor mounts.