GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW will unveil US-spec Golf R at Detroit Auto Show

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
So, I don't get it why does vw tease us with a 2 door golf R model at the Detroit auto show if it is not indeed going to happen? Or did some one on my facebook wall just post a random pic and claim it is from the Detroit auto show?

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
So, I don't get it why does vw tease us with a 2 door golf R model at the Detroit auto show if it is not indeed going to happen? Or did some one on my facebook wall just post a random pic and claim it is from the Detroit auto show?

They just grabbed their euro-spec press car. That's not a US model. The US model is a year away, so they haven't started manufacturing them yet. You'd think they would have at least grabbed a 4 door though.

Either way, since it's a euro car we get to speculate about how the US model will differ. For example, we know it'll have more than 2 doors and we know there will be an orange reflector/light on each side of the front bumper.

EDIT: Woah! I stand corrected, it looks like it won't have side markers on the bumper anymore! The pic below was just posted on the VW Golf facebook page claiming to be the US spec. Notice the pics of the front of the car show an INTEGRATED orange side marker next to the headlight! That's the first time they've done that on a US model. Finally! It really cleans up the bumper.

Last edited:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Still waiting for us spec to be completely ruined compared to euro spec, bring on that weight baby

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
EDIT: Woah! I stand corrected, it looks like it won't have side markers on the bumper anymore! The pic below was just posted on the VW Golf facebook page claiming to be the US spec. Notice the pics of the front of the car show an INTEGRATED orange side marker next to the headlight! That's the first time they've done that on a US model. Finally! It really cleans up the bumper.

Yes, the headlights are now like the Jetta with integrated amber reflectors. No way to get rid of the orange now unless you do overlays :(

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
After seeing VW integrate the reflectors/sidemarkers into the headlights on the Mk6 Jetta, I knew that the Mk7 Golf would have a similar arrangement.

I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well I'll probably be at the show on Saturday, I'll have to take a look at both and see what stuff we won't get in the US. Well other than the main differences of it being a different model.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
That white Golf looks quite nice. I'm curious to see what goodies it has as options. Given it has parking sensors we can assume it will have much more content than the MK6.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Autoshow tip, buy your tickets online ahead of time..chicago autoshow was 20-30 min wait to get in last year for tickets.

dynamiik

Ready to race!
kinda bummed its a 4 door only, i really wanted this..

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So because the ST was nearly the same US/euro, that validates your conclusion that the euro mk7 optioned out is heavier than the mk6??

I want to see base mk6 2dr 6mt vs base mk7 2dr 6mt. Both north american market. Both measured by the same instrument. There's no other way to make any reasonable conclusion. So far I haven't seen that so all claims are anecdotal.

butchered by autocorrecr

200lbs won't happen... that's all I am saying. Maybe 50 at best.