GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW will unveil US-spec Golf R at Detroit Auto Show

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Booooooo "cut as much as 200 lbs" is a meaningless phrase in common use. Taken literally it would mean 200 lbs since anything less than 200 is by definition NOT as much as 200. What they mean to say is "cut up to 200 lbs" sadly.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I've seen it mentioned elsewhere as well. It seems possible.

Also, VW has patented a new welding process that they said they would use to bond a aluminum roof with a steel body in a version of the MK7 GTI, lowering both the vehicle weight and center of gravity. Maybe they are using it here.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I stand corrected... It looks like the 2015 Golf R will be in the running for my next vehicle since it will be available with a DSG. :D I don't know what it is, but I just prefer AWD or RWD vehicles and I will need to test drive a new Golf R to see if the FWD biased Haldex AWD will cut it for me or not.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So according to a german car mag that weighed them

http://www.volkswagen.de/content/me...ent.file/golf-gti-performance_ams2213_068.pdf

The GTI is 1391 kg 3060lbs
The focus st is 1451 kg 3192lbs

US spec is not out yet so we can gauge that

The MK6 is tested at 3030lb same mag quotes ST at 3220
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/20/2013-ford-focus-st-vs-2012-volkswagen-gti-comparison-review/

There are no weight savings... from what is currently indicated, the mk7 will weight exactly the same +- 50lbs

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I stand corrected... It looks like the 2015 Golf R will be in the running for my next vehicle since it will be available with a DSG. :D I don't know what it is, but I just prefer AWD or RWD vehicles and I will need to test drive a new Golf R to see if the FWD biased Haldex AWD will cut it for me or not.

yeah, but the $700 haldex race controller will help ya out there ;)

this^ ;)

A3 K04 here :D:thumbsup:

CSteelGrrl

Ready to race!
Won't the Golf R be a limited number of units kinda deal?

Does that mean "test drives" might not be permitted by dealerships?
Does anyone know if test drives were the norm with the Mk6.
Aren't these unit's rather exclusive?

Questions questions..... :)

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Does that mean "test drives" might not be permitted by dealerships?
Does anyone know if test drives were the norm with the Mk6.
Aren't these unit's rather exclusive?

Questions questions..... :)

All depends on the dealer, honestly.

Some dealers are total hardasses regarding test drives with vehicle launches, others don't care as much.

You'll be able to drive one eventually.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
So according to a german car mag that weighed them

http://www.volkswagen.de/content/me...ent.file/golf-gti-performance_ams2213_068.pdf

The GTI is 1391 kg 3060lbs
The focus st is 1451 kg 3192lbs

US spec is not out yet so we can gauge that

The MK6 is tested at 3030lb same mag quotes ST at 3220
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/20/2013-ford-focus-st-vs-2012-volkswagen-gti-comparison-review/

There are no weight savings... from what is currently indicated, the mk7 will weight exactly the same +- 50lbs
If you are going by those two articles, you're comparing a Euro-spec four-door GTI with the DSG and Performance Pack (electronically adjustable dampers etc.) against a de-contented (no First Aid Kit, less insulating material etc.) 2-door US-spec 6MT. That's hardly a good basis for drawing conclusions.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Biding my time, stg 2 for now... damn daycare. When I'm finally ready, I'll probably be able to do the mobile-enabled, updated K04 files with the APR DSG tune. :bellyroll:

haha... I hear ya. so, 2015 give or take? :laugh:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
If you are going by those two articles, you're comparing a Euro-spec four-door GTI with the DSG and Performance Pack (electronically adjustable dampers etc.) against a de-contented (no First Aid Kit, less insulating material etc.) 2-door US-spec 6MT. That's hardly a good basis for drawing conclusions.

The euro car was in fact heavier... not seeing the point. Maybe 50lbs-100lbs extra equipment on a car that is already 60lbs heavier. That that out and there is little to no difference.

Also note I included the ST for reference purposes they were weight in nearly identically. between US/euro.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The euro car was in fact heavier... not seeing the point. Maybe 50lbs-100lbs extra equipment on a car that is already 60lbs heavier. That that out and there is little to no difference.

Also note I included the ST for reference purposes they were weight in nearly identically. between US/euro.

So because the ST was nearly the same US/euro, that validates your conclusion that the euro mk7 optioned out is heavier than the mk6??

I want to see base mk6 2dr 6mt vs base mk7 2dr 6mt. Both north american market. Both measured by the same instrument. There's no other way to make any reasonable conclusion. So far I haven't seen that so all claims are anecdotal.

butchered by autocorrecr