GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI - Can we roll coal?

decbee

Passed Driver's Ed
Wondering what mods I can do to get my track-only TDI to "roll coal". I know there aren't many mods for the TDI to begin with, but I'd like to know what more can be done besides a tune, dpf delete + 2.5" downpipe. Also wondering if fuel injectors could be modified to produce more smoke.

gokhansaler

Ready to race!
ecu remap, dpf delete > downpipe, cold air intake will be awesome if u have a money? you can add golf R intercooler ;) im using on my 1.6 TDI european

gokhansaler

Ready to race!
delete your dpf but do not anything catback(silencer) ;) you can drive without smoke believe me.

gokhansaler

Ready to race!

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
This is about the stupidest thing you can do to anything diesel. For the love of all that is automotive, don't do it.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Why would you want to have black smoke? All it is is unburnt fuel and lost power.

It isn't that cut and dry.

Increasing fuel increases egts, increasing egts means more energy in the exhaust and this is what actually turns the turbine.

For spool up purposes and therefore getting the best overall area under the curve.. aka more power, there will usually be more smoke on the car making more power. That isn't lost power clearly.

Picture a pulling truck loaded up on the line and the black smoke they are putting out, then think about it at the end of the run and how much less it is putting out.

There is a time and a place for smoke. One could simply just break that down to street vs off road if you want to make it about the appearance of the diesel community and the environment. For the street one could then limit it to say spool, still there is no need to roll coal, but the car with a little smoke is probably faster.

Perfect example is the Cummins in my Jeep. It is 100% mechanical, I can run it without an alternator or battery hooked up, it is that basic. Fuel is controlled by the pedal which is basic fuel request and then boost as well as rpm which varies it by load. There are a few screws and knobs I can turn to change how it comes on. What is the quickest and easiest way to tune that engine? Your rear view mirror! Turn the knob until you see smoke, then go back a little but not enough to make the smoke go away.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Full retard thread