GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm reading a bunch of different things...0W- 40, 5W-30 or 5W-40

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I'm sorry guys I have read a ton of oil threads and oil posts and the information is all over the place. I just want to make sure I put the right stuff in my car. I was a Rotella T6 guy for my Subarus, but I know it's not VW approved.

What is the VW approved/correct weight that's the best thing for my car.

Thanks

I'm stage 1 at the moment. I live in Flagstaff. I'm changing the oil tomorrow and just want to know what to keep using.

My Flickr!

intellistar

Ready to race!
Weight can be 5W-40 or 0W-40, but the more important requirement is that it meets VW/Audi oil spec 502.00. I believe people in the EU use VW/Audi 504 or something. If you want to be extra sure, the correct oil spec should be in the drivers manual.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40, but I would use Motul Specific 5W-40 if it were easier to come across. I believe dealers use Castrol Edge 5W-40 in the US.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I think I'm gonna do the Mobil 1 0-40 as well.

Trying to do my oil and Downpipe tomorrow

My Flickr!

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Order filters off Amazon and buy Mobil 1 0w-40 at Walmart. It's dirt cheap there by the 5 quart jug.. $24-26 or something.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
just use the rotella t6 and be happy.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Use the OE spec Castrol Edge 5W40 and an OEM filter only. Don't put shitty oil or a filter on and this motor will last a very long time. I've been using this stuff since new, do 5k oil change intervals, and 83+k miles later it doesn't burn/leak/lose any oil what so ever.

I've never been a fan of Castrol, but if that's what VW uses, that's what I'm going to use.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Use the OE spec Castrol Edge 5W40 and an OEM filter only. Don't put shitty oil or a filter on and this motor will last a very long time. I've been using this stuff since new, do 5k oil change intervals, and 83+k miles later it doesn't burn/leak/lose any oil what so ever.

I've never been a fan of Castrol, but if that's what VW uses, that's what I'm going to use.

Agreed haven't had any issues.
I change every 5k aswell

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Absolutely, yes, use the OEM Mann filter.
As to oil...really, any 502 oil is fine.
Most oil nerds feel that Mobil 1 0W-40 is the best oil for the money and one of the best at any price. It is better than Castol 5w-40. If I were using Castrol I would use their 0W-40 for a number of reasons.
Motul is over rated. It's not a bad oil but likely not quite as good as Mobil for a lot more money.

However, I don't want to start an oil war. Go read BITOG if you care about your oil.

zrickety

The Fixer
Fram makes a filter now, my walmart carries it. I've also used the STP filter at autozone without problems. FWIW, I use 5w-30, but anything mobil 1 is good by me.

Torito77

Ready to race!
Absolutely, yes, use the OEM Mann filter.
As to oil...really, any 502 oil is fine.
Most oil nerds feel that Mobil 1 0W-40 is the best oil for the money and one of the best at any price. It is better than Castol 5w-40. If I were using Castrol I would use their 0W-40 for a number of reasons.
Motul is over rated. It's not a bad oil but likely not quite as good as Mobil for a lot more money.

However, I don't want to start an oil war. Go read BITOG if you care about your oil.

THIS