GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

Jaber

Modero
if I bought the car from the dealership with a tune on it, and bought the extended warranty, are they obligated to honor that?

Doubtful. Based on info above, dealer would have to eat the cost. So better question for the dealer. If it's 3rd party extended warranty, would depend on them as well.

Sent from my iSuperior, expect typos, mathematical errors and inaccuracy.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
if I bought the car from the dealership with a tune on it, and bought the extended warranty, are they obligated to honor that?

The dealership does not have a say in "honoring" an extended warranty. Typically you approve diagnosis, they will prepare an estimate for the repairs and submit the claim. Extended warranties will not know if the car is chipped, they don't have access to that information unless the dealer specifically goes out of their way to tell them it's chipped. If it's a relatively cheap repair chances are they will approve it over the phone. If it's more costly, or if your claim is chosen at random, they will send out an inspector out to check out the car with the tech. The claims adjusters are far from experts but basically the tech shows them whats broken, what the faults were, what diagnosis was done to lead the tech to call part X faulty, drive with them to show the concern can be duplicated, etc. The inspector will approve or deny the claim. Inspectors ALWAYS take pictures and document the car, a flash is invisible but they definitely take note of mods they can see. I've personally seen an inspector measure fender to ground height to make sure it's was not lowered. Mods you can see will get claims denied quicker with extended warranty than they typically would with the manufacturer warranty.

Another thing to consider is not all extended will cover the cost of the repairs. Whether you like it or not customer pay repair times are warranty times multiplied by 1.5, some extended warranties will only pay warranty times. If you bought the the warranty from the dealership doing the work and they will typically honor what the extended warranty they sold you is willing to pay. If you bought an extended warranty elsewhere and they won't cover customer pay prices for repairs, you can expect to have to cover the cost difference. The business is not going to lose profit because you bought a cheap warranty from somewhere else. Alot of people get upset about that because they feel it's unjust but if you think about it logically it makes perfect sense. If you have a 2010 GTI and you total it the insurance company cuts you check for 15K, if you walk into a VW dealer and you want a new 2015 they aren't going to give it to you for 15K just because thats all the insurance company would pay you.

RicanCC

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for a great post! This is really good, detailed information. The dealer where I bought my car, which is about 2 hours from home, is mod-friendly. (they flash APR, etc) My local dealer seems pretty conservative and honestly, I don't want to find out. If my car gets flagged at the local dealer with the TD1 code, is the mod-friendly dealer obligated by VAG to void most powertrain related warranty-work? Also, is this diagnostic test performed every time I bring my car for the free oil changes and stuff or only if I point out a specific driveability concern? Thanks again!

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
If my car gets flagged at the local dealer with the TD1 code, is the mod-friendly dealer obligated by VAG to void most powertrain related warranty-work?

No, see the section of warranty work on modified cars in the first post

Also, is this diagnostic test performed every time I bring my car for the free oil changes and stuff or only if I point out a specific driveability concern?

It depends. Generally no during an oil change they are not going to go through a full guided fault finding scan without a specific reason to.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Thanks so much for bringing your real world experience to bear on this often gray area........

Regarding Third Party Extended warranties....is there a $ threshold that sics the Appraiser on you?
When my water pump goes I am gonna be uber pissed if my tune disqualifies me from ever putting in a claim.
Along those lines....would you say that having an extended warranty is pointless with a modded car?

Last edited:

Jaber

Modero
Different car. But I had Ford ESP on my jeep. They covered about $1700 worth of warranty work on it. Ac system, some sensor, and starter.

Sent from my iSuperior, expect typos, mathematical errors and inaccuracy.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks so much for bringing your real world experience to bear on this often gray area........

Regarding Third Party Extended warranties....is there a $ threshold that sics the Appraiser on you?
When my water pump goes I am gonna be uber pissed if my tune disqualifies me from ever putting in a claim.
Along those lines....would you say that having an extended warranty is pointless with a modded car?

I don't know dollar amount triggers an inspection, it probably varies from company to company.

As for a water pump, the extended warranty company wouldn't know it's chipped unless the dealer told them. If it's a common repair they seem to be less likely to send an inspector.

Personally I think extended warranties on Volkswagen are a good deal if you buy a good one. A lot of cheaper ones exclude a lot of parts and only cover major repairs like engines and transmissions and stuff like that, but they wont cover a wiper motor, or a NAV unit and things like that.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I don't know dollar amount triggers an inspection, it probably varies from company to company.

As for a water pump, the extended warranty company wouldn't know it's chipped unless the dealer told them. If it's a common repair they seem to be less likely to send an inspector.

Personally I think extended warranties on Volkswagen are a good deal if you buy a good one. A lot of cheaper ones exclude a lot of parts and only cover major repairs like engines and transmissions and stuff like that, but they wont cover a wiper motor, or a NAV unit and things like that.

Thanks man. I do think I bought a good one .."the platinum FWIW"....I definitely paid enough for it, I know that. Proof is in the pudding though. They don't seem to have very many "authorized" shops in my area.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man. I do think I bought a good one .."the platinum FWIW"....I definitely paid enough for it, I know that. Proof is in the pudding though. They don't seem to have very many "authorized" shops in my area.

Platinum warranty here as well.

Awesome info here! Thanks for clarifying things and speaking "from the horses mouth".

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I hope you don't mind I linked to this thread in my POLL for Warranty coverage when modded....

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88504

Working on breaking out the Mod Friendly/Unfriendly Lists into its own thread....and would like to continue to link to this to avoid it derailing too much....and to spread the great info you've compiled here....

Last edited:

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
Very good post; thank you. Helped me learn a lot.

I have a 2011 and found out today my warranty has been void since May of 2012 due to my GIAC tune.

Now my car is at the dealership waiting more diagnosis for a timing chain tensioner failure causing the engine to seize. Car is only 2,700 miles past the powertrain warranty. So looks like no help from VWoA for me!

blazoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for your very good post.

Just wondering what happens if you reflash you car back to stock before visiting a dealership... Would they be able to see the modifications done in the past (stock -> tune -> stock) ?

Thanks