GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Having Trouble Choosing a Clutch

simpson110

Ready to race!
What were your total costs on this Jay? Any chatter?I am leaning this way even though the SB Stg2 Endurance has been suggested, it seems a little salty at $1200 and $350 labor.....

The rsr is as good as everyone says it is. I had a fx350 and now have the rsr, I wish I bought the rsr first it's very very good for a daily driven car.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I also have a friend telling me if I am slipping already it's too late for the drop in
I slipped a dozen times over a good 10k miles and my flywheel was fine. These flywheels are extremely robust. I'm now on the RSR for 28k stage 1 miles and it still feels strong as the day I put it in.

BTW, I've seen k04 guys slipping on the drop-in disk. It's a roll of the dice. Do it once and do it right.

Also anything under $500 is a pretty good price for a clutch install. It's not an easy task on this car.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I'll probably see how much the drop in disc a resurface and a TOB will be.

My next challenge is figuring out what slot the APR dealer put my stock mode in.... I put it in 'stock mode' yesterday... Or the slot it's supposed to be in. Pretty sure it's stage 2 still. I slipped in it as well...also still feels relatively fast.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I am convinced RSR it is.....

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Can I even get my dual mass resurfaced? I keep hearing my flywheel is no good because it's experienced slippage... Don't really know what to think

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Who told you this?
I've heard it on a few platforms myself. Frankly it's all old wives' tales. Flywheels are durable. Also, contrary to what I hear constantly on this forum, I don't think these flywheels should be resurfaced. It'd increase the surface area of the contact patch, decrease the load on the adjoining surfaces and you'd slip again.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I've heard it on a few platforms myself. Frankly it's all old wives' tales. Flywheels are durable. Also, contrary to what I hear constantly on this forum, I don't think these flywheels should be resurfaced. It'd increase the surface area of the contact patch, decrease the load on the adjoining surfaces and you'd slip again.

Agreed. The oem flywheel is quite durable. Unless your just running around stomping on the gas while its slipping all the time is bet it's perfectly fine.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I checked out the build your own RSR kit... I'm concerned about bringing a kit in to the guys that I'm gonna have install my clutch that's not plug in and play (requires some holes to be drilled) maybe I just get a southbend and the TOB listed here?

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80958

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
Still on the stock clutch but I have the sachs sre SMFW in my room ready to install, and in my opinion, i didnt want to risk buying a RSR or similar setup only to pull my clutch out and find my flywheel was shot. Its a $600 part and resurfacing a dual mass seems to be a questionable endeavor. My idea was get a single mass which I know is brand new and try to avoid problems down the road. Im only hoping that the NVH is not too intolerable. If it is, I may just sell the car and move on. Good luck.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I checked out the build your own RSR kit... I'm concerned about bringing a kit in to the guys that I'm gonna have install my clutch that's not plug in and play (requires some holes to be drilled) maybe I just get a southbend and the TOB listed here?

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80958
This is a concern of mine too....but I've been assured that even a 5 yo could do it...still....Murphys law is very prevalent in my world....so, I may just give haggling with HS Tuning a shot....