GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 stage 2 kill stories, lets hear them!

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but the MK6 GTI is the wrong car for dig racing. OTOH, once rolling between 20 and 40 MPH, it is a good car for pissing off the WRX/STI guys. For a Fail Wheel Drive vehicle, it has impressive speed from 20 MPH to about 80 MPH.

I still won't buy another GTI though...

Jared32

Ready to race!
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but the MK6 GTI is the wrong car for dig racing. OTOH, once rolling between 20 and 40 MPH, it is a good car for pissing off the WRX/STI guys. For a Fail Wheel Drive vehicle, it has impressive speed from 20 MPH to about 80 MPH.

This!! Except I still would buy it again..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bart2278

Go Kart Champion

I'm not buying another GTI either...next one will be a golf R

DC5 Redline

Passed Driver's Ed
The Golf R are great cars, and yes it has an advantage from a dig - but most ”Average Joe’s” racing takes place from a rolling start unless you’re at a track. I know a ricer’s opinion doesn’t hold much value on this forum but I’ve taken part in transforming a stock GTI with a few thousand dollars of modifications and turned into an asphalt eating machine with respectable overall performance. And yes a modified GTI can put many American muscle cars to shame. I wouldn’t give up on the GTI yet!

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I haven't given up on it as the frankenturbo is going on soon, but I realized the limitation of my vehicle choice. I'll be holding onto this vehicle for some time, but when I'm finished with it, the Golf R will replace it.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
It's something I was thinking about the other day too. My last 3 cars were FWD. I think my next car will have to be either RWD or AWD. I don't want to be 30 years old and the only cars I've ever owned were FWD lol...got a couple years left to go. Probably a wrx or R...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking V8 rwd for my next. A little forced induction on a V8 goes a looong way. Got to live out that dream of dying in a freak accident leaving a cars and coffee.

Sincerely, XGC75

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for video I guess. I always say, video or it didn't happen. I hate listening to bs kill stories that people make up with no vids to prove it.

Listening to some of the stories are just so fake sounding it blows my mind. Unless some of those drivers didn't know how to drive, I can't imagine beating a lot of the cars mentioned in the thread. You have to break down the numbers. A lot of cars mentioned in the thread will run less than a 13.7 1/4 mile, and Stage2 will barely get you there. Now if any cars mentioned aren't even stock, forget about it. The only real story I might believe is vs an SI because that's more our level, lol.

GTI's are definitely not a dig car, but they aren't that slow, and especially not from a roll. 1/4 time is how well you launch, trap is how fast you're going the second half of the race and will typically show how well you're going to do from a roll (there are exceptions, but it's a good guideline to follow).

Rear wheel drive for instance is going to have a much easier time launching at a strip, when means quarter mile times go down and can be faster than what we can achieve, but that doesn't mean they're a faster car.
Look at the 370z, I checked their forum and got an average of a 13.4s 1/4, but their trap is only 104.2 on average (bone stock). Faster 1/4 than what you achieved, but similar trap. If you look at videos and other forum posts on here, you can see that anyone that has come across one has typically either barely won or barely lost (a car length either way) which is into driver error category. Ultimately, long story short, typically anything you trap near, will be a close race (not always, but usually). Factor in driver mod, and that's why you see some things that aren't very believable.
I've personally had a couple runs against Camaro SS's, you would think stage 2 would get wrecked, but I was dead even up to around 100 (from 20ish) when they would start to pull away (higher trap + bigger engine = pulling on the top end). They can hit low 13's in the 1/4 (stock), but trap between 106-109. 1-3mph in the trap is a drivers race; I would definitely not be surprised if I had a car that trapped 101-102 stay even with me. On top of all this, you can't forget about gearing, which is also a big factor in why I believe our cars do better in roll races than paper racing typically shows.

Just my paper racing theories, for what it's worth. I typically won't discredit much in here, street racing is too variable.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
Walked a suspected stock evo 10 on the highway the other day. Wasn't even close.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Walked a V6 Accord this morning. Before we got on the interstate he was blocking me from getting in the lane that would allow me to hop on the interstate. I got over behind him, and we went around the ramp. As soon as it was time to merge, we both gun it and I'm pulling enough that I have to get over in the middle lane, which he tried to block me again, so I swooped over to the fast lane. He continued to drive aggressively after he lost, at which point I just pulled back and put another notch on the ol belt.

Edy.Ct

Go Kart Champion
Raced a friend last night. Roll race from 30mph. At 135 I was about 2-3 car lenghts in front.
My car: GTI Edition 35 DSG (EA113 with K04 from the factory). Stage 2 Revo (IC, 3" catted downpipe, EvoMS intake). Never dyno-ed it; guessing about 335 +-5 hp
His car: S50B32 M3 E36, manual. Don't know all of his mods; Miltek full exhaust and other mods including tune and shorter ratio dif.

Lost to a turbo Renault 5, ~1600lbs and 230hp. He was about 2 car lenghts in front (from 30) and about 2.5-3 car lenghts from 25, but after 120 I was starting to gain on him.

No vids unfortunately :(

Last edited:

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Coming home from dinner and an HHR SS pulls right up on my ass and tailgates me for a good 1/2 mile. The road widens to two lanes at the next stop light and she pulls next to me and starts revving and I see its this middle aged lady. She guns it and I walked her pretty hard and I just let off the gas, she flys by means just continues down the road. She must of been in a hurry. Her HHR did have a pretty sweet exhaust tone though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk