GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold Air intakes: Why do we keep doing this shit?

mophisto

Ready to race!
There are any number of posts or videos that will show the benefits of a CAI are minimal or non-existent. The question is - why do we keep spending hundreds on these things if we know they do nothing?

Thoughts?

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
We just like the noise I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iAhhMaze

Go Kart Champion
Because we all are suckers and want to belive that the dyno sheets the companies post up and love the placebo effect that comes with installing one.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Not buying into the snake oil claims, learned this years ago.

CAI
plenums
Cat back exhaust

All expensive noise makers

zrickety

The Fixer
There is real horsepower, but not that many. The most I've spent on an intake was about $100 used.

iAhhMaze

Go Kart Champion
There is real horsepower, but not that many. The most I've spent on an intake was about $100 used.

If i wouldnt have gotten mine for free i wouldnt have purchased one unless like you said it was under 100 the P-flo i had on my mk5 i only paid 60$

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
noise is one, but it's also one of the simplest DIY mods you can do for your car with no real risk of breaking anything.

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
Wouldn't spend more than $75 on one.

Klrskies

Years ago, before the auto manufacturers started including cold air intake systems on less expensive cars, adding a cold air intake could offer improvements...big time! It wasn't uncommon for a Chevrolet v8 to gain 25 hp when fitted with a cai system. Even early hondas benefitted from intake mods. My daughters early 90s prelude found some hp by us adding a low restriction, cai intake system and filter. It was pretty easy to see how those early, factory systems could be improved on...many were designed for noise control and the air filters were pretty small, paper elements that could be restrictive on top end. But the auto manufacturers have become focused on engineering air intake systems that just dont offer many disadvantages to most applications anymore.

I did hygrometer and temp tests when building a low restriction, intake for my daughters prelude, just to see how much we could improve it. It was easy to see the temp. And pressure drop diminish on top end as we enlarged the intake tube and routed the intake end to collect cool air and installed an open element filter. Was noisy, bulky, but the car was a bit quicker...and that's what she was after! Same thing with exhaust...bigger pipe all the way back, low restriction muffler, no resonator....was quicker, but not refined. According to my then state of the art G-tech accelerometer, after adjustable cam gears, the intake mods, the big tube, cat less exhaust system, and an adjustable resistor that altered the coolant temp to add some fuel, and advancing the timing a few degrees, me went from like 120 hp to 145 hp. It was a good bump for a little money and time, and she was into autocross at the time, so every little bit helped.

But today, things are so good from the factory, there just isn't much left to get by simple mods. Her new civic si is an amazing normally aspirated engine compared to that engine of a decade or so ago. It's amazing the manufacturers can make the hp they do out of the fuel and emission restrictions constraints placed on them. The tuning done today by the aftermarket tuners is amazing! Hats off to the people that find incredible bumps in performance here in the digital age. There just aren't many easy, inexpensive mods that provide much improvement these days.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I go psh.