GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spark plugs and red tops

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
DM says 0.026, I think Doug had said 0.028, who knows

I would just explore and see which one your car responds to best. Some will work well with .026 others will work better at .028 and some work better closer to stock .032

Just depends.

diputs

any performance gain red tops and colder plug on a k04?

or only something to do when you start misfiring?

diputs

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Gains nothing that you would ever notice or see.

The main benefit would be reliability and longevity.

The red top coil packs tend to hold up better and the plugs are usually needed due to the tune your on. Most k04 tunes like a colder plug. Just do whatever spark plug your particular tuner recommends if you are unsure on what to do..

firsttimebuyer

Ready to race!

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Dont buy these from ecs lol they claim oem but send you knock offs and then when you call them they say, but they are from the same manufacture. No marking what so ever on the coils and in less than a month i already have a slight miss at idle again. But i asked john and he said the plugs im running are a great option too at a .028 they are the NGK BKR7EIX Iridium

Edit: i work in the auto industry for the last 12 years now, the same manufacture isnt the same as oem in a lot of cases lol

You're still butt hurt that you read the supplier wrong? OE vs OEM. They claim "OE" as in original Equipment which is the supplier.

To everyone else ive had no issues with my ECS red tops or plugs bought from them....

firsttimebuyer

Ready to race!
You're still butt hurt that you read the supplier wrong? OE vs OEM. They claim "OE" as in original Equipment which is the supplier.

To everyone else ive had no issues with my ECS red tops or plugs bought from them....

Slightly butthurt, dont remember ever mentioning this before. hmmm.
I just pulled up my order from when i made the purchase and you are right its oe- and not oem. I retract my hateful statement. Please disregard. The plugs are working great NGK BKR7EIX Iridium with .028

Last edited:

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
Gains nothing that you would ever notice or see.

The main benefit would be reliability and longevity.

The red top coil packs tend to hold up better and the plugs are usually needed due to the tune your on. Most k04 tunes like a colder plug. Just do whatever spark plug your particular tuner recommends if you are unsure on what to do..

You'd see a gain if you did already have a misfire or other issue though. I think some people don't even realize slight ignition issues because they're subtle or just don't know what a misfire sounds/feels like.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Slightly butthurt, dont remember ever mentioning this before. hmmm.
I just pulled up my order from when i made the purchase and you are right its oe- and not oem. I retract my hateful statement. Please disregard. The plugs are working great NGK BKR7EIX Iridium with .028
Sorry maybe i have you confused with someone else. Just someone else was complaining before about how ECS Ripped him off because he believed when it said Original Equipment that it meant OEM.

My mistake that obviously was not you.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
You'd see a gain if you did already have a misfire or other issue though. I think some people don't even realize slight ignition issues because they're subtle or just don't know what a misfire sounds/feels like.

Yeah i meant if you were running healthy and then switched to the reds/plugs you wouldnt see/notice any gains.

But yeah if your misfiring etc then you will notice a increase in performance.

firsttimebuyer

Ready to race!
Sorry maybe i have you confused with someone else. Just someone else was complaining before about how ECS Ripped him off because he believed when it said Original Equipment that it meant OEM.

My mistake that obviously was not you.

No worries, i cried a little in the restroom from you talking mean to me but its all good now. :lol:

Yeah i meant if you were running healthy and then switched to the reds/plugs you wouldnt see/notice any gains.

But yeah if your misfiring etc then you will notice a increase in performance.

I had a low idle misfire and it was breakin up throughout the power band so switching made a very noticeable difference. I am a little rough on the low end again but i dont know exactly what it is yet. I assume a coil but i need to poke around somemore.