GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Failure Analysis

Ali6295

Your timing is out, long crank and engine shaking with that code is timing! Needs to be fixed, do not drive it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the quick response. I suspected this and the garage who changed the tensioner and chain has now recovered the car as i refused to drive it incase the situation became worse. will hear back from the mechanic tomorrow.

Ali6295

I have been told the vanos control unit on my car needs changing and that this is what caused my chain to skip. No damage to cylinders luckily. Anyone know if this is an expensive part or not. My local vw dealership are hopeless they didnt even know what the part was or anything about the chain problems.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
I have been told the vanos control unit on my car needs changing and that this is what caused my chain to skip. No damage to cylinders luckily. Anyone know if this is an expensive part or not. My local vw dealership are hopeless they didnt even know what the part was or anything about the chain problems.

Isn't VANOS a BMW thing? forgive my ignorance.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Great writeup. With 116,000 miles on my 2011 GTI I had hoped I'd survived it as an infant mortality or mfg defect issue, but you've shown that can be clearly wear-related. Might as well lump this one in with my 120k service, especially since there are almost no warning signs prior to the failure.

Ali6295

Vanos unit got changed. Picked it up from garage on the way home the engine light came on again. Im not having much luck with this car

zrickety

The Fixer
Whatever the cam adjuster is, I know what he's talking about.

Shumo

Hey guys, newbie posting here.
My Gti mk6 has 108,000+ miles, I got it when it had around 40k miles and I confirmed still has the old style tensioner. I guess I've been lucky (knock on wood).

I asked my local shop and they are recommending replacing all chains, all tensioners, guides, etc. Also the clutch kit (I'm pretty sure it has the oem clutch). They are asking $2k for everything, parts and labor.
I'm not sure if I should replace all that or just have them do the tensioner. (for that they are asking $400 plus parts, around $600).

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the input.

Thats not bad pricing... seems spot on for labor & part pricing

What clutch kit?

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
I would get an upgraded clutch kit if you're going to replace that (not sure if you're tuned or not). But yeah changing the chains and guides at your mileage is probably a good idea as chains do "stretch" at that point.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
price seems reasonable too, though will go up if you decide to upgrade your clutch depending on what mods you have.

v.b

Ready to race!
Good thread!
Just curious, has anyone else ever looked into why the tensioners fail? Do they all fail because of the teeth of the ratcheting mechanism disintegrating?

zrickety

The Fixer
I have read it's either blockage in the oil ports or broken retaining tabs. Kind of hit or miss.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I had the pretensioner failed on me twice. I have a 2010 model, and the first time was in July 2014 (covered under warranty). Second failure happened in October of 2015.

Based on the above, I'm guessing the last update happened after July of 2014?

how was this covered under warranty? Was it due to the TSB? What VW dealership was the work performed at?

I want to get mine done however I don't want to wait for the kaboom :eyebulge: