GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

zVp

Go Kart Champion
When downshifting manually, does anyone have a noticeable clunk and/or noise around 1-2 seconds after downshifting (revs goes up, but the actual gear change doesn't occur for 1-2 seconds)? This is on v2.1.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
When downshifting manually, does anyone have a noticeable clunk and/or noise around 1-2 seconds after downshifting (revs goes up, but the actual gear change doesn't occur for 1-2 seconds)? This is on v2.1.

When coasting and downshifting to a higher rpm (3500+) does it overshoot the target rpm then when the clutches grab it drops ~100ish rpm?

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Yes I noticed something similar. What I found is that the gear change actually occurs before the clunk you feel. With your foot all the way off the accelerator, the clunk is when the engine goes from kind of coasting, abruptly to the engine braking level. It's not a huge jolt, but it's definitely there. However, within that 1-2 second gap, if you jab the throttle, the car will promptly accelerate, so the gear change has already occurred but the delay is from the full onset of engine braking, even though it is a reduced engine brake.

I thought this would smooth out with time, but it has persisted unchanged over the last couple hundred miles with V2.1. For me I'm torn whether it's intrusive enough to be annoying... if the engine braking onset was more gradual and less delayed it might be more satisfying. As it is, it is definitely discreet bump, but it's fairly minor in magnitude.

Also, it did used to be there in V1.2, but with less delay and was more abrupt. I bet it exists to some degree even in stock mode.

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
I posted this in the manual thread as well, but has anyone noticed a slight lope?
I noticed it while in a drive-thru - tach didn't really move but I switched to tach on my p3 and noticed it was fluctuating by about 40 rpms at roughly 1 cycle per second. If you've got a stock exhaust, you may not hear it anyway. (Engine was fully warmed btw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate on what engine loping is? I asked you what you were saying on the manual thread, you did not respond.

Here you elaborated a little. Many people have commented on a 'pulsing', I noticed this as well. It is for sure there.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Yes I noticed something similar. What I found is that the gear change actually occurs before the clunk you feel. With your foot all the way off the accelerator, the clunk is when the engine goes from kind of coasting, abruptly to the engine braking level. It's not a huge jolt, but it's definitely there. However, within that 1-2 second gap, if you jab the throttle, the car will promptly accelerate, so the gear change has already occurred but the delay is from the full onset of engine braking, even though it is a reduced engine brake.

I thought this would smooth out with time, but it has persisted unchanged over the last couple hundred miles with V2.1. For me I'm torn whether it's intrusive enough to be annoying... if the engine braking onset was more gradual and less delayed it might be more satisfying. As it is, it is definitely discreet bump, but it's fairly minor in magnitude.

Also, it did used to be there in V1.2, but with less delay and was more abrupt. I bet it exists to some degree even in stock mode.

That is true - I did notice that you were "in gear" if you had your foot down, either partially or fully, on the throttle.

This also happens when you're in gear at a mid- to high-rpm and let your foot off the throttle; not a huge jolt, a definitely a noticeable clunk.

I'm sure it was there in the original version (1.0, or whatever. I didn't have 2.0), and probably most likely in the stock version as well, but this is definitely more noticeable (2.1).

The extra power (or perception of extra power) is definitely nicer.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
That is true - I did notice that you were "in gear" if you had your foot down, either partially or fully, on the throttle.

This also happens when you're in gear at a mid- to high-rpm and let your foot off the throttle; not a huge jolt, a definitely a noticeable clunk.

I'm sure it was there in the original version (1.0, or whatever. I didn't have 2.0), and probably most likely in the stock version as well, but this is definitely more noticeable (2.1).

The extra power (or perception of extra power) is definitely nicer.

Yes, I think it is more noticeable because it is delayed longer, but compared to V1.2 it is softer in magnitude, so I do notice it more because of the delay, but it's still less jarring than V1.2 IMO.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I think it is more noticeable because it is delayed longer, but compared to V1.2 it is softer in magnitude, so I do notice it more because of the delay, but it's still less jarring than V1.2 IMO.

That's a good point - you're right, it definitely a little softer in magnitude, but the delay makes it more "noticeable". I'll have to get used to it lol.

I'm getting the high rpm start-up that everyone else seems to be getting, but as long as it's normal (hopefully Arin and/or APR can confirm), I don't mind it. Just strange to see it shoot up like that.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
That's a good point - you're right, it definitely a little softer in magnitude, but the delay makes it more "noticeable". I'll have to get used to it lol.

I'm getting the high rpm start-up that everyone else seems to be getting, but as long as it's normal (hopefully Arin and/or APR can confirm), I don't mind it. Just strange to see it shoot up like that.

I've said this before, but it's only strange compared to how it was. My wife's Corolla and my previous Civic both revved to over 2000 RPM for several seconds on cold start, so it revving to 1800-1900 for a couple seconds is pretty normal compared to other cars. Mine is pretty smooth about it so I don't mind at all.

anticon

Ready to race!
Can you elaborate on what engine loping is? I asked you what you were saying on the manual thread, you did not respond.

Here you elaborated a little. Many people have commented on a 'pulsing', I noticed this as well. It is for sure there.

Yes it's like a pulse. I've followed this thread, but didn't remember hearing about it.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
I've said this before, but it's only strange compared to how it was. My wife's Corolla and my previous Civic both revved to over 2000 RPM for several seconds on cold start, so it revving to 1800-1900 for a couple seconds is pretty normal compared to other cars. Mine is pretty smooth about it so I don't mind at all.

Yup I definitely see that in my parents Civics. And also, it would stay up in the high RPM range for way longer than our cars.

I'm trying to see if it's smoother compared to previous starts - it would slightly shudder here and there if I'm on a decline (but not on an incline or flat surface).

I can definitely say that the shifting is a lot more crisp and smooth (without any power loss, or very minimal). Compared to v1.0, where when I shifted, there would be a slight loss of power a minor jolt.

First gear is a lot less clunky (damn, I'm actually very impressed with this). There's still noticeable clunking here and there, but man it's definitely improved.

bjost80

So does v2.1 fix the lag in manual mode or not? Seems like some people are still experiencing it.

Mine now is as crisp as can be. Totally satisfied.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
So does v2.1 fix the lag in manual mode or not? Seems like some people are still experiencing it.

Oh yes V2.1 is pretty much perfect in terms of shifting response.