GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU needs replacing after APR 2.1 update

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Yeah Aaron (not Arin) just told me that APR does not support any ECU issues whatsoever, that APR has never to his knowledge replaced or helped with replacement of ECUs after being flashed and suggested no options whatsoever to help.

The issues started within a day of having the tune updated by one of APR's dealers and never had any issue before.

Thats interesting..
So...it sounds like this issue arose due to the tune/software. Going a bit off topic here but, if APR charges $150 for license transfer fee's so the end user can retain a warranty what does a warranty even cover?

from their website

"APR ECU Upgrade warranty is transferable between new and old owners of the VIN for a fee of $149"

But i can't find any info on an ECU upgrade warranty. The warranty info listed on their website only entails products purchased from their website.

But they offer a
"limited life time warranty" on ECU upgrades on the ECU product page.

"All APR ECU Upgrades include a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software, and to provide free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty and are at the discretion of the place of install."

Sounds like your a funky situation..You may have to take legal action if nothing happens.

Have you tried re flashing back to stock?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

Dans GTI

Ready to race!

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
the dealership, they flashed me

Thats really weird, its possible that they didn't properly seal the ECU. Has it rained/car been washed since the flash? I would think the the shop would open up a claim with APR if something went wrong.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Historically, ECU failures have been due to the actual cracking process, not the software itself. There have been many cases where ECU's failed a year or two after it was initially opened because it wasn't sealed properly, not because of the software. I don't know if this is what your car is currently experiencing, but just FYI.

FriggenT1

Banned
I've read so many threads where this has happened with APR tunes...maybe with others too...but searching for ecu stuff before has run me into much of the same posts as OP.

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Are you sure that the ECU wasn't cracked open again for your recent tune? I ask because I was told by my tuner that some of the ECU's (depending on a factor that I don't remember) had to actually be bench flashed to V 2.x, even if they already had a tune, and that after that it could be port flashed for any future updates. So, maybe they messed something up during a bench flash.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Are you sure that the ECU wasn't cracked open again for your recent tune? I ask because I was told by my tuner that some of the ECU's (depending on a factor that I don't remember) had to actually be bench flashed to V 2.x, even if they already had a tune, and that after that it could be port flashed for any future updates.

This is what I've seen posted before too. I want to say Arin answered that in the big thread, but could be wrong.

Uberryan

Banned
Some cars will need the ecu pulled every time for an update, some won't.

FriggenT1

Banned
Are you sure that the ECU wasn't cracked open again for your recent tune? I ask because I was told by my tuner that some of the ECU's (depending on a factor that I don't remember) had to actually be bench flashed to V 2.x, even if they already had a tune, and that after that it could be port flashed for any future updates. So, maybe they messed something up during a bench flash.

That's stupid to not have a tune ready to be port flashed when they are the ones who started this to begin with.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Sounds like the dealership who updated your tune may have a made a mistake somewhere with the flash. I would think if something happened with the software causing the ECU to fry they would contact APR immediately. Instead their telling you a new ECU is needed. Sounds fishy.

Beej1

Ready to race!
I had trouble with my tune also. It took a year for it to make itself known, but my guess is that mine was not properly sealed. Water had made its way in and caused some corrosion. My tuner wasn't exactly looking to step up to correcting the issue.

If you are unable to get anyone to commit to fixing the issue, send me a PM. I found a guy in NY that fixes these things and sells remanufactured units. He's developed his own equipment to put them through rigorous tests after fixing them as well. Mine's just been fixed and coming back to me tomorrow. It's not cheap, but definitely cheaper than the alternatives.