GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU needs replacing after APR 2.1 update

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
ECU Errors after recent Stg 2 update

I've had a CEL on since being updated to the 2.1 APR Stg2 tune.
Finally got it to the dealer and they told me the ECU wont communicate with multiple sensors (including fuel pump sensor??) and needs replacing and they wont cover it. Quoted me like $1250.00 to get it replaced.
---------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
----------UPDATE ----------------
-------------------------------------------
ok so the Service Manager gave me my car back. They fixed a PCV which was causing the SURGING so that was unrelated but he said still something wrong with the ECU and a CEL is on with sensor errors.
It feels like it runs great but im getting bad gad mileage because the ECU's not communicating with sensors and is on it's default RICH programming. Service manager said to go get it APR flashed again thinks it was somehow a corrupt flash and to try that before bothering to source a new ECU.

Last edited:

Jaber

Modero
What did APR say?

EDIT:

Just saw your edit, explaining why the ECU needs replacing. But still, was APR contacted?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
What did APR say?

EDIT:

Just saw your edit, explaining why the ECU needs replacing. But still, was APR contacted?

Yeah Aaron (not Arin) just told me that APR does not support any ECU issues whatsoever, that APR has never to his knowledge replaced or helped with replacement of ECUs after being flashed and suggested no options whatsoever to help.

The issues started within a day of having the tune updated by one of APR's dealers and never had any issue before.

Jaber

Modero
Was this ECU ever bench flashed or just through port?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
wow that blows. It seems the new revisions ive read arent fully worked out yet.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Out of pure curiosity, did you try wiping the tune off the ECU and going back to stock to see if that fixes the problem?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
what's insane is that quite a few members reported APR assisted them with ECU replacement after failing. Why all the sudden is it "NO IDEA WHAT YOU"RE REFERRING TO SIR. NOTHING WE CAN DO OR SUGGEST. GOODBYE"?

Jaber

Modero
yes originally had to be bench flashed

Well, is it possible it was horrible timing, that your ECU failed, right around the update was done. Your ECU at one point was cracked open. Could of been a ticking time bomb.

I'm guessing for the update, they didn't have to bench flash, just port then.

Out of pure curiosity, did you try wiping the tune off the ECU and going back to stock to see if that fixes the problem?

Dealer claims they can't communicate with the ECU.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Dealer claims they can't communicate with the ECU.

That wasn't exactly how I read this. I took it to mean the ECU isn't reading various sensors in the car, throwing a CEL. I'm curious if OP has tried taking the car back and flashing to stock. Since APR has had numerous issues with their new tunes, I was just wondering if that could be part of the issue here. The dealer's recommendation will always be to replace the ECU since the "damage" in this case was done by a 3rd party that they have no affiliation with. That doesn't mean there aren't other ways of fixing this.

OP, you are correct though. Numerous people have had help from APR on here. I would reach out to Arin and see what he says.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
That wasn't exactly how I read this. I took it to mean the ECU isn't reading various sensors in the car, throwing a CEL. I'm curious if OP has tried taking the car back and flashing to stock. Since APR has had numerous issues with their new tunes, I was just wondering if that could be part of the issue here. The dealer's recommendation will always be to replace the ECU since the "damage" in this case was done by a 3rd party that they have no affiliation with. That doesn't mean there aren't other ways of fixing this.

OP, you are correct though. Numerous people have had help from APR on here. I would reach out to Arin and see what he says.

x2

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

if you mean changing from like 93 to stock yes.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

your understanding of the situation is correct. not that they can't communicate with it, simply that it's not communicating with sensors correctly. Thanks for the interest man.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
if you mean changing from like 93 to stock yes.

No, I don't mean using APR's software to switch files. I mean literally having the entire APR tune wiped from your ECU, like what the dealers all had did when they ran the 24AX software update a few months ago.

Switching to stock mode on the APR file is still using APR programming on your car.

Jaber

Modero

You're right. I stand corrected.