GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TBE and Stage 1+ or Clutch first?

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
I'm trying to decide. I've got about $2k put aside for some additions and i'm stuck.

I want to go with the Eurojet TBE, catted/resonated, eventually stage 2, and a clutch. I need tires in there somewhere but I can wait till fall for those.

My thoughts are to either go with the TBE and stage 1+ to satisfy my go-fast cravings or go with the slow and steady route with a new clutch and possibly stage 1+.

I'm at 33k miles, clutch has never been dropped, babied most of the time except for some quick on-ramps. I would get a clutch before stage 2 and I do plan on a k04/ft23 in the future.

Any insight? What would you do?

Mods as of now are IE CAI, R8 Coils, GFB DV+, coilovers, sigma 6 short shifter, led tails.

Thanks for any opinions.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I went straight to stage 2, but started saving for a clutch right away. I even drove on the slipping clutch for a few months, and it took 10k miles or so before it started to slip.

I'd do it again too, so I say go straight for the tune and worry about the clutch when it happens.

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info, your car helped me decide on rse52's eventually:D

How do you like the Sachs clutch?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
lol, good choice

I'm still likin it. I've got about 15k miles on it now and seems like it's still holding up good. I've never had a slip at wot that's for sure. Taking off from a dead stop is a little tricky sometimes, but that wasn't really a problem til apr v2.

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
if you go tbe you need stage 2.

Are you saying even if I get a catted downpipe i'll need to flash stage 2 for it to run properly?

I understand a catback is mostly for sound, my stock tips are black and although I do want a quieter car I thought the Eurojet sounded pretty tame. I could save money in that department for now. If I went with a clutch I would have to pay for the install too so I am adding another $4-500 to the price of a decent one ~$1000.

Maybe downpipe, stage 2, save for a clutch which wouldn't be too bad. I could pay for it now if I wanted to but i'd have to dip into other savings and that would leave a bad feeling in my stomach.

Edit: I'm going to just do the downpipe, modded euros seems to have the lowest price with the forum discount code at $485 shipped to my doorstep. Can anyone do better?

Last edited:

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Since your a 2013 year i would say a new clutch would be needed immediately. From my forum lurking i've learned that the 2010's seem to have stronger clutches or something like that. My car is a 2010 and is at 69k miles, it had an APR stage 1 tune since 2k and it was updated to the new 2.1 Stage 1+ tune at 65k miles. No slipping...yet :)

That said i know that there are other cars who are tuned on stage 2 regardless of the year running on a stock clutch with no issues. Its really a hit or miss, but mostly a miss. Worst case scenario get it flashed, if it dosen't slip awesome. If it does just switch back to stock until your ready for a clutch.

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
So, what is your plan now? A stage 1 tune (yes, I know you are looking at stage 2) and tires will eat up a good bit of your $2k saved, but it may spare your clutch a while longer while you save some more money. Not meaning to torpedo your whole plan, but good tires aren't cheap and you are indicating that you need to get some this year.

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
So, what is your plan now? A stage 1 tune (yes, I know you are looking at stage 2) and tires will eat up a good bit of your $2k saved, but it may spare your clutch a while longer while you save some more money. Not meaning to torpedo your whole plan, but good tires aren't cheap and you are indicating that you need to get some this year.

Luckily I have a friend that works at Continental and can get ~40% off. Conti DWS's are $75 a tire with the discount so it's not too bad. I've been planning for tires for awhile so I didn't really include that into the budget, more of a maintenance issue.

So I figure $500 for the DP which I can throw on with a friend, APR Stage 2 i'm budgeting $1000 for which will include program switching. Then possibly tires although i'm moving at the end of August so i'll probably wait till the end of September when things calm down from moving

Edit: I agree with the clutch issue, it's so hit or miss I should just suck it up. I don't drive too far but need my car to get to work so as long as it doesn't blow up I don't mind driving like a grandma for a month.

Edit 2: Ordered the DP. Next is to put it in and go stage 2. There is a VW dealer that does APR or there is a small shop that does GIAC close by but distance isn't a big difference. Decisions..

I would think the dealer would be more willing to accept the APR tune I get from them if a problem arises.

Last edited:

FriggenT1

Banned
Are you saying even if I get a catted downpipe i'll need to flash stage 2 for it to run properly?

I understand a catback is mostly for sound, my stock tips are black and although I do want a quieter car I thought the Eurojet sounded pretty tame. I could save money in that department for now. If I went with a clutch I would have to pay for the install too so I am adding another $4-500 to the price of a decent one ~$1000.

Maybe downpipe, stage 2, save for a clutch which wouldn't be too bad. I could pay for it now if I wanted to but i'd have to dip into other savings and that would leave a bad feeling in my stomach.

Edit: I'm going to just do the downpipe, modded euros seems to have the lowest price with the forum discount code at $485 shipped to my doorstep. Can anyone do better?

Tips are black? As in painted black or dirty?

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
Edit 2: Ordered the DP. Next is to put it in and go stage 2. There is a VW dealer that does APR or there is a small shop that does GIAC close by but distance isn't a big difference. Decisions..

I would think the dealer would be more willing to accept the APR tune I get from them if a problem arises.

Have you thought about just flashing yourself at home with Unitronic and UniConnect+ ?

Than you can flash back to stock if you want at any time. More info if you have not see it yet
https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/unitronic-uniconnect-programming-tool-uh008-tla

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
Tips are black? As in painted black or dirty?

Dirty, I could clean them of course and it is no reason to get a catback but I was trying to convince myself that I should get one :D. Already ordered a DP though.

Have you thought about just flashing yourself at home with Unitronic and UniConnect+ ?

Than you can flash back to stock if you want at any time. More info if you have not see it yet
https://www.moddedeuros.com/products...tool-uh008-tla

You know, I was really looking at dealers in my area but never looked into flashing from home. I was turned away from COBB because of how new they are and some reviews have been underwhelming. I didn't really think about Unitronic.

Quick question, if I buy the uniconnect and stage 2, does it come with the previous stages as well? Also, does moddedeuros sell the tunes or do you buy them direct from unitronic? At work so sorry for all the questions.

Went with the Eurojet DP from you guys, best price around :thumbsup: