GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by fradd

1. F

Need advice for replacing catalytic converter

So my 2011 Mk6 with the PZEV engine apparently has a very clogged catalytic converter. I need to pass emissions to renew my registration, but the clogged cat is causing an engine light according to the mechanic. (Code is for underboost, but turbo was replaced a few thousand miles ago.) Mechanic...
  2. F

Koni Yellow won't drop all the way into strut knuckle

UPDATE: It popped in after some greasing and then driving down the hill I live on, braking hard-ish, and turning into a parking lot. Aaaand now hopefully bolt lines up and I can move onto passenger. Edit: TOP OF THE TAB IS NOW TOO FAR INTO BOLT HOLE. I guess we'll try to drill it away without...
  3. F

This is my current state Don't think the tab is an issue besides getting the bolt through, but that doesn't matter at this point since the strut is not all the way in anyway. It looks like the tab would be out of the way if the strut went in that last bit.
  4. F

Burning about 1 quart every 500 miles

Would make sense either way cause recently my coolant seems to be leaking a tiny bit.
  5. F

Well the bottom part of the hook on the tab is still sticking up from the bottom of the bolt hole. So yeah I just want it far enough in to put in the bolt, but that means it has to go lower than it is. But if it goes too low will the tab be sticking down from the top of the bolt hole? It's been...
  6. F

So you think I should dremel off the part of the tab I can see through the bolt hole, then put the bolt through at this level? I'm just worried the passenger strut will be at a different height in the knuckle if I did that. The amount of the bottom of the tab I can see through the hole is about...
  7. F

Update: never had a chance to do leakdown test or get a new PCV, but oil consumption seems to have remained the same. Also notice slight amount of white smoke on really hard acceleration but was told that could just mean my engine is running rich.
  8. F

After four days of working on this suspension job, I finally managed to get the strut into the housing, and most of the way in. Everything is put back together except the pinch bolt for the strut knuckle, because the strut will just not go in that last 1/8th of an inch. I've tried jostling the...
  9. F

TLDR in title. Bought this 2012 Mk6 GTI in early March this year. I've since had to top up with about 8-10 quarts of oil total, in 5000 miles. I have changed the oil myself once, probably about 2000 miles ago. I also had mechanic change the oil once, two weeks/500 miles ago. Dipstick...
  10. F

Can't figure out the issue with engine, looking for help

2012 GTI, CBFA engine, bought at 110k miles this March. Please give this a read if you have some time/knowledge to spare. I've tried to shorten as much as possible but I don't want to leave out anything that could be important. I have searched extensively for the answers all over the Google...