GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need advice for replacing catalytic converter

fradd

So my 2011 Mk6 with the PZEV engine apparently has a very clogged catalytic converter. I need to pass emissions to renew my registration, but the clogged cat is causing an engine light according to the mechanic. (Code is for underboost, but turbo was replaced a few thousand miles ago.)

Mechanic I’ve been going to was wary of replacing the cat, because the car is from CA and has the PZEV engine, (I’m in CO) which he said means it needs a very particular cat and he hadn’t dealt with it before (I guess). He just wasn’t sure if it would clear the code if he put in what I assume is the usual type of cat he would do for a non-California Mk6.

So I don’t really know how to be sure which cat I need, or if it would be fine to put it a “normal” cat and still get the engine code cleared. I have looked into the qualifying cats for the CA emissions standards for this car, and it looks like the only one still being sold is $3,000+.

I just want to be sure what cat I’d need to clear the code and pass emissions, in case there’s a possibility I don’t have to get this specific one for 3k, and in case I might not even be looking at the right cat.

fsures

Passed Driver's Ed
CA CARB won't allow used cats for replacement. Because of that, you could search salvage yards for a used PZEV cat and have it shipped to you. It would save you a ton of $$$$$.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Get a second opinion on what’s wrong with the car.

If all your emissions checks are met then it should pass inspection. Not sure how an underboost code would fail you.