GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by thatspsychotic

1. thatspsychotic

Aftermarket CV axles

100% do not get aftermarket axles. I ended up with one after a torn OEM CV boot and 2 years later the axle was shot and had to be replaced yet again, was horribly clicking and vibrating. Went OEM and no further issues. Other side of the car is 165k miles old and never had problems. At this...
  2. thatspsychotic

PC Building

Yeah the CPU decision space is kinda tough right now, and finding the right case isn't trivial either. On the CPU end, it really depends what the Ryzen 3xxx series chips look like when they launch, AMD is really giving Intel a run for their money. I can't recommend an Intel CPU at the...
  3. thatspsychotic

PC Building

Nice build, I pulled the trigger last spring (before the 9xxx series Intel chips launched) and ended up with a pretty similar spec: Case - Fractal Define C Fans - 2x Noctua NF-P14s intake, 1x Noctua S12A exhaust PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 3000 MHz C15 x2 (RAM prices...
  4. thatspsychotic

Anyone familiar with purchasing UB brace from overseas?

If this raises some more awareness that the Unibrace parts are dope, see if enough people can be corralled for a group buy? I've been super happy with my UB from the last group buy.
  5. thatspsychotic

Coilovers + wide tires?

I'm running 245/35R18 PSS tires on 18x8 et45 wheels, and of course no rubbing issues whatsoever at stock height with fender screw mod, but I'm considering coilovers due to OEM struts feeling pretty worn after 145k miles. Question is about the maximum ride height on different coilovers. I'm...
  6. thatspsychotic

Rear Main Seal leak, other items to do while trans is separated from engine?

As title states, suspecting RMS leaking due to occasional oil spots on the ground coming from the driver side of the vehicle, and loss of about a quart of oil over 6k miles (145k miles on odometer). If this is the confirmed cause (will get under the car to confirm when it's a little warmer...
  7. thatspsychotic

CV boot/joint failure poll, looking for a pattern

Based on my experience and some other forum posts, I'm looking to see if there are patterns in CV boot/joint failures in order to test a theory of mine. For those who have had CV boot/joint failures, which boots/joints failed?
  8. thatspsychotic

Boost fluctuations and hesitation: APR Stage 1

I've been experiencing this gradually getting worse since flashing APR Stage 1 V2.1: GiJnP2VRxYA Boost fluctuations around the boost threshold along with hesitation at the same time. Consistently does this (or sounds more like compressor surge when its warmer out) in this situation. Anyone...
  9. thatspsychotic

Rubbing/pulsing sound while coasting

My car has recently developed a strange problem. I'm getting a kind of pulsating rubbing/grinding sound that only occurs while coasting. If I roll into the gas, the sound goes away and there are no vibrations or anything no matter the speed. If I press the brakes enough to start slowing the...
  10. thatspsychotic

GTI Sluggishness: my experience with carbon build-up

A few weeks ago, I had posted regarding <2600 RPM sluggishness and poor performance. I had already changed to R8 coils and NGK Iridium plugs, but they only made slight improvements. At 83,000 miles (95% highway), I finally got the carbon cleaning today. The before picture: Most concerning...
  11. thatspsychotic

Excessive timing pull?

So on a particularly hot trip back from NYC yesterday, the car was feeling unusually sluggish. Rolling onto the gas up a hill at 55 mph, say 2000 RPM, it almost felt like torque was actually falling away as the boost climbed at the low RPM. Eventually at around 2700 RPM the car would start to...
  12. thatspsychotic

After Stage 1 tune, feeling sluggish & inconsistent

So about a month ago (with 77k miles on the clock) I finally went APR stage 1 and carbonio intake. Day of/after, car felt amazing, maybe a little laggier than before but I chalked it up to taking longer to get to the higher boost levels. Fast forward to this past week, and the car is starting...
  13. thatspsychotic

80k mile service, what am I missing?

Currently sitting at 76k miles, planning a major service at the dealer (don't have space to DIY), want to make sure I'm not forgetting something: DSG Service Replace brake fluid Lubricate sunroof & door hinges (website mentioned this) Carbon cleaning Check coilpacks Planning to take it to a...
  14. thatspsychotic

Official Winter/Snow Shot Thread

Did a quick search, couldn't find a thread dedicated to winter shots. Shall I start us off? On my way home from a weekend getaway to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks this weekend, snapped this one at Lower Cascade Lake. It was 11 degrees F out at 1pm, winds gusting upwards of 30 mph.
  15. thatspsychotic

Failed emissions due to OBDII unable to connect

As the title says. Silly JiffyLube wasn't able to read my ECU to check for emissions codes, but right after the test, I was able to connect and see everything via an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and Torque. Even the JiffyLube's handheld code reader couldn't connect to my ECU. What gives? Anyone...