GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed emissions due to OBDII unable to connect

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
As the title says. Silly JiffyLube wasn't able to read my ECU to check for emissions codes, but right after the test, I was able to connect and see everything via an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and Torque. Even the JiffyLube's handheld code reader couldn't connect to my ECU. What gives? Anyone else even heard of this happening before?

Bone stock, never tuned. Taking it to the dealer next week, puzzled. Only thing I can think of is wonky connection at the OBDII port, which should be counted as emissions equipment, correct?

iknowright

my OBDII port wont read either and cant figure it out

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
As the title says. Silly JiffyLube wasn't able to read my ECU to check for emissions codes, but right after the test, I was able to connect and see everything via an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and Torque. Even the JiffyLube's handheld code reader couldn't connect to my ECU. What gives? Anyone else even heard of this happening before?

Bone stock, never tuned. Taking it to the dealer next week, puzzled. Only thing I can think of is wonky connection at the OBDII port, which should be counted as emissions equipment, correct?

You let JiffyLube get close to your ECU? :yikes:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Hah, no, the OBDII port is not near the ECU. I needed an inspection and JiffyLube was right nearby. Let's not get too distracted here.

Unsure if ignition was on when they tried the actual emissions test, but when their handheld reader failed to connect, I was sitting in the car and the engine was running.

Odds on VW being able to get an emissions pass on the first try, and Jiffy is just dumb? Pretty high, IMO, but I think there are also good odds that the OBDII connector is pretty flaky, as one other user noted.