GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

100,000 mile review

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
I bought my '10 brand new in June of 2010. It's got 58K on the ticker now and the only issue I've had is the failed intake manifold repaired under warranty. I drive it "normally" 95% of the time with a fast corner or WOT pull onto the highway here and there. The car is bone stock but I just got brand new Goodyear F1's put on and it drives like new again! I truly am pleased with this car and though I'd love an mk7 I think I'm going to keep mine for another 4-5 yrs. I just paid her off in full so I'd like to enjoy some car payment free years : )

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Short Bus,

Great review and I have some great news for you. VAGCOM!

Vagcom will let you turn XDS up a notch to strong setting and it pulls and works much better (more so with a tune though).

You can also turn ESP completely off with a Vagcom setting adjustment so holding the ESP button turns it off completely vs almost in stock form. Now they I think of it this may only be 2012 and up but maybe someone came up with a setting for you 2010 folks.

Keep enjoying that GTI. love mine and will be for years to come.

As I understand it the 2010's can't disable ESP so easily. :( Last I checked the way I could do it is to disable the steering angle sensor, but that also drops the XDS.

75k+ miles here. No problems from the car - just the lone dealer in our city...

Things I don't like: DSG reverse rake. It's slightly offensive. I don't really want to lower the car, but I've spent a lot of time thinking about aftermarket suspension as an excuse to change the reverse rake. I also don't like the wheels, but that's mostly due to the size and not the design. I would switch wheels but I don't feel that strongly and I don't see keeping this car. I want a manual. Also, the base stereo was garbage. I did upgrade that.

Shortbus: I liked your review. Provide previous cars for comparison?

I've had a fair spread over the years....

'82 Grand Prix
'91 Geo Metro
'89 & '90 Mazda RX-7s
'91 Daytona IROC R/T
'02 WRX
'02 Sentra Spec-V
'91 Integra
'99 Tiburon
'04 STi
'07 Camry

The manual doesn't seem to have a reverse rake, or at least it isn't so aggressive that I can tell. I have the Dynaudio upgrade that I'm perfectly happy with. It's not the greatest I've ever heard, but I'm happy.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Year: 2012 GTI 2-Door (Bought new)
Current Mileage: 62k
Warranty: Window Seal, Intake Manifold, and Water Pump
Mods: Coilovers, Catback, and tires.

Quick Review: Great FWD car, its not my daily, and I plan to keep it another few years. I won't be going FWD when I trade her in though, going to look into a V6 RWD sports car for the next sprint. :)

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Short Bus,

Great review and I have some great news for you. VAGCOM!

Vagcom will let you turn XDS up a notch to strong setting and it pulls and works much better (more so with a tune though).

You can also turn ESP completely off with a Vagcom setting adjustment so holding the ESP button turns it off completely vs almost in stock form. Now they I think of it this may only be 2012 and up but maybe someone came up with a setting for you 2010 folks.

Keep enjoying that GTI. love mine and will be for years to come.

I thought setting it to "2" increased your risk of breaking CV joints? Big reason I haven't done this yet.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Been running my stage I for 50k at "2" and nothing's broken yet. And I drive her like she should be driven.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
I thought setting it to "2" increased your risk of breaking CV joints? Big reason I haven't done this yet.

At nearly 150k, I set my XDS to 2 around 10k miles. No CV issues, except I ran over a monster racoon that bent one around 90k.