GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18x8.5 et38 fitment?

AR11

Ready to race!
That's going to be pretty damn flush (in a bad way IMO) with that tire setup assuming you haven't bumped up the camber a lot from stock. I personally would not go for this setup but we all drive differently and have different tolerances for rubbing.

I'm at ~2.5 degrees of camber in the front (yet to be aligned) and based on my guesstimation I can afford to go 245/40 or possibly 255/40 on an 18x8.5 +45. At +38 and (assumed) stock camber I would be worried to go wider than 235/40. 245/40 might work on +45 and stock camber though.

If you have your heart set on that wheel I'd try 235 first unless you have adjustable camber to play with.

georgiatechME

Ready to race!
That's going to be pretty damn flush (in a bad way IMO) with that tire setup assuming you haven't bumped up the camber a lot from stock. I personally would not go for this setup but we all drive differently and have different tolerances for rubbing.

I'm at ~2.5 degrees of camber in the front (yet to be aligned) and based on my guesstimation I can afford to go 245/40 or possibly 255/40 on an 18x8.5 +45. At +38 and (assumed) stock camber I would be worried to go wider than 235/40. 245/40 might work on +45 and stock camber though.

If you have your heart set on that wheel I'd try 235 first unless you have adjustable camber to play with.

You're the man, AR1. I really appreciate it. I'm pretty set on the wheel. My other option for sizing is 18x8+35. That would mean I would run a 235/40 tire.

If my math is correct, I would lose about 3.25mm of offset. That would result in a better setup :). Thoughts?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Combo of tire size and offset are going to give you issues up front would be my guess. Like AR1 said, a 235 in the front might be a better choice depending on your suspension setup.

If you're dead set on that wheel, why not the 18x8 ET35 in the correct bolt pattern? No wobbles needed, and slightly less aggressive offset. The no wobbles should be a big deal, especially if you'd ever want to add a spacer in the rear to even things out.

EDIT: you responded about the other size about the same time I posted, hah

nikhsub1

What?
You're the man, AR1. I really appreciate it. I'm pretty set on the wheel. My other option for sizing is 18x8+35. That would mean I would run a 235/40 tire.

If my math is correct, I would lose about 3.25mm of offset. That would result in a better setup :). Thoughts?

18x8 ET35 will be just about perfect up front... could do a 5mm spacer in the rear even if you wanted. The 8.5" ET38 will be tight but you could do them, I think I'd choose the 8" wheel though, it will be a bit lighter as well.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm running 17x8.5 et 40 with the spacers up front and a 245/40 Michelin PSS.
They're REALLY flush. Anything more would be poking a bit too much IMHO.

Second pic is from the top down, driver side front.

Attachments

• IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 3,560
  • IMG_3669.JPG
    IMG_3669.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,651

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
^^ That is already poking too much... take spacers off, not needed. It's not a civic.

It's very flush. Nothing is sticking out and it doesn't look like it's poking at all.
Tread is completely under the fender too.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
It's very flush. Nothing is sticking out and it doesn't look like it's poking at all.
Tread is completely under the fender too.

I don't mean this to discourage your preference for fitment or anything, but when you say "REALLY flush" and then post a picture that clearly shows poke (meaning wheel and tire are past the fender), you're no longer flush, regardless of the word you put in front of the word flush.

It's like saying a cat with no head is just "REALLY not doing too well". Nah man, the cats dead. :p

Fitment is all personal preference though, and some of that means how much function do you want to potentially give up. Since your car isn't super low, your fitment is probably just fine. It's just not flush.

nikhsub1

What?
I don't mean this to discourage your preference for fitment or anything, but when you say "REALLY flush" and then post a picture that clearly shows poke (meaning wheel and tire are past the fender), you're no longer flush, regardless of the word you put in front of the word flush.

It's like saying a cat with no head is just "REALLY not doing too well". Nah man, the cats dead. :p

Fitment is all personal preference though, and some of that means how much function do you want to potentially give up. Since your car isn't super low, your fitment is probably just fine. It's just not flush.

Glad I'm not the only one.

AR11

Ready to race!
Since we've gotten completely derailed let me school you all on flush with a picture of my last car: 17x9 +44 w/ 255/40 RE-11

Edit: I want to run this same spec on my GTI but can't find any good 17x9 +45 options that clear the PP brakes. Anyone got a lead? Is CCW my only hope?

AR11

Ready to race!
I'm running 17x8.5 et 40 with the spacers up front and a 245/40 Michelin PSS.
They're REALLY flush. Anything more would be poking a bit too much IMHO.

Second pic is from the top down, driver side front.

Do you mean +40 after factoring in the spacer or you've spaced it beyond 40? If so, why; the rear already has more clearance than the front and its not like you need room to clear those brakes. Please elaborate.