GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

19" wheel drawbacks

engine2

I just ordered a 4dr white mkvi, and am looking at ordering velocity vb3's when delivery gets closer. Are there any reasons not to put 19's on the car? I have never had a wheel that large and wonder if anyone has had problems w/ rubbing or other problems.

oileoi1

Passed Driver's Ed
You should have no problems with the 19" wheels as long as you fit the proper tyres and the car is not lower too much otherwise you will have rubbing happening.

I found a good post in the MKV forum http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59761 which tell you what are the best combinations of tyres, wheels and how much you can lower the car with out having any problems.

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered a 4dr white mkvi, and am looking at ordering velocity vb3's when delivery gets closer. Are there any reasons not to put 19's on the car? I have never had a wheel that large and wonder if anyone has had problems w/ rubbing or other problems.

The main issue would be its weight (which I assume are heavier than stock wheels) and size. Anytime you increase the weight of your wheels you're obviously theoretically decreasing acceleration and decreasing performance.

At the end of the day if you don't plan on driving your car at or near the limits you probably won't really notice much performance decrease. But one thing you may notice regardless of how hard you drive your car is an increase in ride quality. When you upgrade to 19" wheels, to keep the same overall rolling diameter as your stock wheel/tires setup, your tires will have less sidewall than stock. With less rubber on your wheels, there'll be less to absorb road imperfections and irregularities.

Hope that helps.

rerun1946

You should have no problems with the 19" wheels as long as you fit the proper tyres and the car is not lower too much otherwise you will have rubbing happening.

I found a good post in the MKV forum http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59761 which tell you what are the best combinations of tyres, wheels and how much you can lower the car with out having any problems.

Thanks for posting this link. I really needed that information...

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Couple drawbacks.

1. cost of rubber
2. harsher ride
3. increased unsprung weight.

Tires get more expensive the bigger the wheel side.

Smaller sidewall means stiffer sidewall which of course means the car rides stiffer and harsher. You just THOUGHT that pot hole was bad... try it with a bigger rim try not to chip your teeth

heavier wheels are harder to spin up and slow down. Robs power and performance.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Tires heavier wheels are harder to spin up and slow down. Robs power and performance.

True. I'm not sure it makes a big deal in real world performance though. I remember doing research and acceleration systems seemed pretty negligible.

sent from GS4 using tapatalk

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Drawbacks.
1. Rim/ wheel weight
2. They are pushing looking too big for gti
3. Looks better when slightly lowered
4. Added cost of tires
5. Harsher ride
6. Potholes (with any rims that have small sidewalls)
7. Day aint no 20's homie. For realz dawg.

18's and a nice subtle drop is ideal imo. goodluck

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I'd be most concerned about the ride being rougher.

When i got the Turbo Beetle it came with 19's and i thought the ride was going to be bad, but since the beetle has a softer suspension the ride is at least 50 percent better than the GTI.

Air pressure on the 18's is 38, surprisingly the 19's is 32, i run 35. The beetle ride is much nicer than the gti, but the gti corners better.

dynamiik

Ready to race!
holy thread bump lol

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Couple drawbacks.

1. cost of rubber
2. harsher ride
3. increased unsprung weight.

Tires get more expensive the bigger the wheel side.

Smaller sidewall means stiffer sidewall which of course means the car rides stiffer and harsher. You just THOUGHT that pot hole was bad... try it with a bigger rim try not to chip your teeth

heavier wheels are harder to spin up and slow down. Robs power and performance.

Well said.:thumbsup: