GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5 Oil Filter Housing Adapter Replacement

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I hound this Video on YouTube on replacing the Oil Filter Housing Adapter on the 2.5

This is great video for the intake manifold removal and reinstall

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I guess the guy doing the oil filter housing should have watched the intake manifold removal video. Man what a nightmare. The dealer I used to get my oil changed at cracked my oil filter housing. Luckily I had always gone to the same dealer to get my oil changed (it was only $5 more than the parts to do it myself) so when they tried to tell me it was that way when I brought it in I said "Well, you are the ones that always change the oil" so they didn't have a leg to stand on. The repair bill was over $1000. He told me they had to unbolt and move the transmission to do the job. Needless to say, I do my own oil changes now. This is also why I returned the ECS billet oil filter when my OEM one wouldn't seal. Metal screwing into plastic not a good idea in this case. Plus ECS parts in my experience have not been perfect in the fitment department which is also a recipe for disaster here as well. I just went with the OEM unit.

This is also why I don't go to any quicky oil change places. Anyone who changes their own oil on the 2.5L knows it is easy to cross thread the filter housing if you're not careful.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I can't see having to unbolt the transmission to do this R&R.

I just helped a guy replace the oil filter housing adapter on his Golf 2.5, that's why I posted the video I found and included the intake manifold removal video to fill in the missing info.

We did entire job was done in under 2 hours, .... yes my familiarity removing the intake manifold helps a lot, as does having the proper tool to unbolt the intake manifold. The fuel hose and the electrical harmess connections get disconnected but injectors, throttle body and sensors stay put on the intake manifold.

I;ll upload some pics of the key tools i use to quickly loosen the bolts on the intake manifold as I feel this is where many guys get stuck. The same tools are used to torque the intake manifold bolts to 9 nm

I didn't have the torque spec for the oil filter housing adaper bolts, so I torqued the bolts to 25 ft lbs, should be close enough

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

THIS SETUP IS FROM MY TOOL COLLECTION, If you want a similar tool order the Milwaukee Tool 12 -Inch SHOCKWAVE Impact Locking Bit Holder Model # 48-32-4512 , should be close to my setup but with the adapter Bit Holder already included. Just literally turn it upside down and use a standard 6 mm Hex socket in the Bit Holder to turn everything with a ratchet or Torque Wrench.

I forgot to note that the Impact Driver shank is 6.35mm, so a bit bigger than the 6mm bolt so you just need to use a hammer to give a tap or two to seat the shank in the head of the 6mm bolt

Last edited: