GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5L Turbo build by Thygreyt

thygreyt

Racekor.
just wanted to update the thread with the latest updates...
And as i have found out, this small changes are what make the largesst differences. More precisely, all small changes makes small differences, but many of them. And so doing many small changes i've made huge improvements

Here are the pics, many of them.
the exhaust is fully wrapped, from the turbo to the tips. i did it in parts, firts the tips, then i did the downpipe and turbo, then the dump, then i did the middle section (yesterday)

and dump

Also, i painted the throttle pipe to make the engine bay look better, went back to the coolant bottle, and had to send back my BSH engine mount (temporarily)

Lastly: i plastidipped the wheels to see how the looked.. and i like it.
Also, the brakes are more visible under the orange wheels... and orange letters.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
Just curious why you would wrap your whole exhaust? What is the possible benefit of wrapping past the turbo and/or engine bay?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
^ wondering the same thing I thought wrapping your exhaust locks heat into it which is suppose to be bad?

thygreyt

Racekor.
Just curious why you would wrap your whole exhaust? What is the possible benefit of wrapping past the turbo and/or engine bay?

^ wondering the same thing I thought wrapping your exhaust locks heat into it which is suppose to be bad?

Again, misconceptions. Many people assume to know things without actually trying them, nor do they try to understand why and how they work.

You both have part of the picture right. Wrapping the exhaust will lower engine bay temps.
And wrapping the exhaust will contain much if the heat inside, and this can be bad.

Now, what happens is that the wrap can also trap moisture, and this can lead to faster deterioration of the pipe. The extra heat inside could also damage the pipe by overheating the welds. Both true.
But, on good stainless steel, rust shouldn't happen, and then the welds should hold on because there is no rust that will damage them.

Also, I always apply a couple of layers of thermal paint to seal the pipe before the wrap, just in case. My tip section had paint and wrap for the most part of the last 3 years. and when I removed the wrap, to Re do it, the paint was there perfectly as the day I applied it, and no signs of rust.

Now, what the wrap does is keep the heat inside the pipe. Hot air flows way faster than colder air, since flow is either velocity of air per area or volume of air per time, faster speeds in the airflow will mean faster flow.

This faster flow is hugely beneficial for turbo applications. It means faster spool, sooner spool, better noises, etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

thygreyt

Racekor.
updates! :D

1: clutch ordered... the oem GTI pressure plate is going to die soon, and i rather not be without a car. Current set up is steel flywheel (19 lbs) with OEM FSI clutch and pressure plate. No slip, only pressure plate is going.

2: changed the mid pipe.
For better understanding, this is how i call the exhaust sections in my car:
right after the turbo: Downpipe
right after the downpipe: Mid pipe
Right after the midpipe: axle back (its the bent part wrapped previously)
After the axleback: Tip section

So, here i just changed the ugly-welded-9-times 2.5" midpipe for a 3" straight pipe in stainless steel.
I still have a small resonator in the axleback.

The straight pipe was covered with 4 layers of thermal paint for heat and rust protection, and then i was wrapped. Will test drive in 1.2 hours.

straight pipe

after cleaning, i painted it with thermal paint

as you can see, the final coat was black. i only had 17 ft laying around, and aparently it wasnt enough for the entire pipe. Still missing 6" of pipe to be done... meh.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
^ vid is private.

Vikingsloth1

Ready to race!
What did you use for a downpipe? I have a t3/t4. I'm trying to find a gti vband downpipe. If you've got any suggestions for exhaust I'd be grateful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk