GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI MK6 Project

Alizzo

Ready to race!
GL on the tint tho bro. first month i had it, i got 20 all around, and within the next month, what do you know. in came a ticket for my tints. booo

hopefully you have better luck. lol

Haha. I know it. I had a black maxima with 5% all the way around with black 20" rims. That car might as well had a sticker on it saying PULL ME OVER.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen with my GTI but if it does, the good thing is, there are plenty crooked cops out there that will sign it off without me fixing it.

Alizzo

Ready to race!
Adam's Rotors: good choice, even though they are overpriced.
Rear Wiper Delete: looks clean.
LED Tails: baller.

Thanks man.

Adam's Rotors is all I would go with. I've had nothing but excellent experiences across the board. The dude that runs it, Adam, is legit. About them being overpriced, I actually think they are pretty competitive with what they offer.

Check this out:
http://www.dbcperformance.com/product_p/mk5tfr.htm

$380 custom machined, zinc dipped and shipped.

I'm doing the rear wiper today, should be pretty easy, at least I hope.

And the taillights, just a matter of ordering, they're about $750 so I gotta hold off on that one til I get some cash saved for it.

P

plac

I'm doing the rear wiper today, should be pretty easy, at least I hope.

ha. tell us how the removal of all the inside hatch trim works out. its a nightmare. at least the first time you try and remove it.

Alizzo

Ready to race!
help a brother out! lol

but seriously, i need that ticket signed hahahahaah

:D

LOL. I don't have a constant connection. I just start asking around when I get the ticket, and usually am able to find someone who knows someone who knows a cop that'll do it.

It's like 6 degrees of who knows a crooked cop. Eventually, you always find one. LOL.

Alizzo

Ready to race!
ha. tell us how the removal of all the inside hatch trim works out. its a nightmare. at least the first time you try and remove it.

That's the part I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO. I found a few DIY diagrams, the thing has something like 9 clips that are easily broken if you're not careful. Should be fun. :-/

Alizzo

Ready to race!
Got some work done yesterday.

Tint is now complete, 20% all the way around. It's darker than I thought it would be, but I like it.

Now for the rear wiper delete. I was rushing all over town to find the plug that I needed and between trying to find that, and rush hour traffic, I literally had about 40 mins of sunlight to do this. I was gonna do a DIY but I had to rush so much that I didn't have any time to take pics of every step.

Let me tell you this, for anyone who wants to do it, it's definitely not that difficult at all. Takes about 45 mins & the hardest parts are taking off the actual wiper blade (you just need to use a flathead screwdriver and carefully pry it off), and clipping the panel from the inside of the hatch back in. It's a little difficult getting the clips to line up and pop back into place, but a little elbow grease, and it's good to go.

The main things you need to buy are the 1" Nylon Hole Plug (Black) that you can get in the hardware section at any Orchard Supply Hardware store. Also, the silicone adhesive made by Devcon, wish you can also get at OSH.

The final outcome is fucking great. I love the clean look. No badges, and definitely no rear wiper blade. It rained over the weekend so I really didn't have time to clean the car, but here are some pics of the tint, and the rear wiper delete. Enjoy!

P

plac

i never understand the rear wiper delete mod myself, but everyone has different tastes. a great idea to compensate for this would be rain-X your rear window regularly during the rainy season. this will at least give you some visibility during all the storms over the winter.

but nice job on jumpin on those mods so quick. i wish we had a hideaway wiper which could retract when you're not using it.

Alizzo

Ready to race!
i never understand the rear wiper delete mod myself, but everyone has different tastes. a great idea to compensate for this would be rain-X your rear window regularly during the rainy season. this will at least give you some visibility during all the storms over the winter.

but nice job on jumpin on those mods so quick. i wish we had a hideaway wiper which could retract when you're not using it.

Yeah I agree, hideaway wiper would be great. I get the debate on the rear wiper too, I just like the clean look and don't use it even during the rain. I already put rain-x on the window though. Thanks man!

Alizzo

Ready to race!
On the list for things to do this week, possibly today:

1. Paint the front side-markers black
2. Brush the front and rear VW logo so it's not so damn shiny
3. Put red tape over the foot-well lights inside the car

Bigger mods will be coming people, these are just easy, and cheap to do.

Alizzo

Ready to race!
Did a few little mods today with help from my brother-in-law.

First one was taking the amber-colored side markers & spraying them with Plastidip Black Spray.

In the pic above, they look shiny but they dry a nice MATTE BLACK.

This is what they looked like before:

And here they are after:

I really, REALLY, like how these came out. I know a lot of people color match the side markers, but since I got the black & white theme going, this way was a better option for me.

The other mod for today was brushing the front & rear VW emblem, and the front GTI badge.

Here is what they looked like before:

My brother-in-law and I used a sand sponge to do the job. The key in this is to go side-to-side in a motion so that the brush lines are all in the same direction. The emblems are beveled so I only brushed the fronts of the emblems and left the beveled sides as nice chrome accents.

Here is what they look like after:

The rear VW emblem is NOT EASY to take off at all. It's easy to pry the bottom off, but the top is not that easy because putting pressure on it causes the whole thing to flip in for the hatch to open. If you put enough pressure on the bottom portion, the top comes out just enough for you to slip a thin flathead, or wedge in there to pop the top portion off.

My advice is to use something plastic, if you notice in the top left corner below, I chipped the paint with the side of the screwdriver. I was pretty pissed at myself but nothing I can do about it now. I went to the dealership right after and picked up some touchup paint but as you can imagine, it doesn't look that good. I'm gonna research places that do paint-chip repair. Any suggestions?

The GTI badge was really not that easy to take off, so instead of breaking clips, we removed the entire front grill and I carefully brushed the GTI badge while it was still attached to the grill.

That was it for today. I'm putting money aside for the bigger mods that will be coming up, first of which will be, Suspension & Exhaust. Until then, I've been gettin' these little DIY mods out of the way. Enjoy!