GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI with failed cylinder head

euphemus

Hi

Last week our brand new 2010 Mk6 arrived. Noticed an oil leak yesterday and today dealer confirms it needs a new cylinder head. 10 day wait for parts - and another 1000 miles of breaking in. Obviously less than happy, especially as this was the first car we have had for a while that we really love.

We signed up for a German built performance car but will actually be getting an engine (re) built by the guys at the local VW dealer who have confirmed that they have never seen a failed cylinder head before in a Mk5 or Mk6 and have limited experience doing the repair.

Dealer has been okay - very apologetic and trying to play it down but we really don't want the car now. What do you guys think? Would you be happy knowing that the engine had been taken apart and put back together again with less the 1000kms on it?

Any input/reassurance/mockery welcome :)

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for the trouble you're going thru man.

Having a dealer do head work sounds absolutely terrifying..

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
See if you can demand a new engine entirely, or a new car. This sounds really weird, and shouldn't be something that had left the factory floor unnoticed...

Good luck either way! :(

Ben1

Go Kart Champion
That's crazy... I would definitely raise amhuge red flag on such an army rebuilt motor vehicle :/. Good luck though!

bryanmn1

Ready to race!
Start screaming Lemon until you get a new car.

Edit: California is not like Canada...

Last edited:

euphemus

Thanks, guys.

So the consensus seems to be send it back :) I agree but that's easier said than done. Have called VW Canada who said they will look at my concerns 'by the end of the week' and in any event will want the car to be repaired first so they can see what the 'outcome' is.

So my concern is it will be another 3 weeks before the car is put back together at which point VW Canada say it's all fine - no harm no foul.

If we push the local dealer to do something with a replacement car, we have to go with something with all the wrong options so we end up with a car we would never have chosen to buy.

Bummed.

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
If the car is optioned out and everything like you want it. Keep it.

Like you said, it could be hard to find another one like it. If it was an external oil leak, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. An internal problem can be scary because you have to worry about debris and stuff circulating through out.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Should be fine:)

Instead of having an engine built by automated robots in a factory... You'll have a hand built engine that will likely have tighter tolerances. You can tell people you VW is hand built!!!

I bent the valves on my BMW back in 2001 with 5000 miles on it... Engine was rebuilt at the dealer and have had no issues with that until I sold the car at 140,000 miles. It was the car I learned stick on and did numerous track events in... It's been solid:)

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I will admit to being anal, just like the rest of you, and that beautiful pristine engine compartment will most likely take a little beating. I am sure the local VW guys, as they have indicated, don't have much or any experience in that job. In aviation a rep from the factory would come out and oversee and or do the job, sometimes special tools are needed that the local guys don't even have.

I think they should give you a new car, but they may resist that strongly. i wouldn't be happy but remember something like this could happen to any of us. I would first go for a new car, even if it was a 2011, if that does not work, then you need compensation,

1 Replace car.
2 Replace the engine, they should want to know what went wrong anyway.
3 At least fix engine and then: car must not look like it was worked on, scratches rubs etc. engine compartment etc.
4 Extended warranty, add a 2 years to the VW warranty. (puts their money where their mouth is, back up their work)
5 Certainly a loaner car (GTI) from now until your car is completed. (keeps them moving on your vehicle.)

Anything else anyone can think of that is somewhat reasonable should be added to your demands.

Good luck.

Last edited:

pvivino

Ready to race!
I would let them repair it. I am sure a dealer can replace a head. It is not that complicated. I've done several head gaskets.

I would certainly demand a loaner, and a warranty extension.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
I will admit to being anal, just like the rest of you, and that beautiful pristine engine compartment will most likely take a little beating. I am sure the local VW guys, as they have indicated, don't have much or any experience in that job. In aviation a rep from the factory would come out and oversee and or do the job, sometimes special tools are needed that the local guys don't even have.

I think they should give you a new car, but they may resist that strongly. i wouldn't be happy but remember something like this could happen to any of us. I would first go for a new car, even if it was a 2011, if that does not work, then you need compensation,

1 Replace car.
2 Replace the engine, they should want to know what went wrong anyway.
3 At least fix engine and then: car must not look like it was worked on, scratches rubs etc. engine compartment etc.
4 Extended warranty, add a 2 years to the VW warranty. (puts their money where their mouth is, back up their work)
5 Certainly a loaner car (GTI) from now until your car is completed. (keeps them moving on your vehicle.)

Anything else anyone can think of that is somewhat reasonable should be added to your demands.

Good luck.

Sounds like the plan I would take too. Except I'd demand the same warranty they did for the DSG - 10 year/100k miles. You probably won't get it, but you want to start high in a negotiation!

back2vw1

Push for an equal loaner, and maybe an extended powertrain warranty from vw. Although it is just like any other manufacturing defect, it is warrantied so that they will fix it, not buy you a new car because of one head problem. I can understand that you would rather not have them in there, but let's be realistic about it.

If you only knew how many owners of 2008+ subarus have had significant engine work under warranty... Although by now, Subaru mechanics probably have a lot of experience! lol