GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTi DSG - Code P2711 Unexpected Mechanical Gear Disengagement

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Good Afternoon Everyone,

So about 2-3 times over the past few months while driving on the highway and taking a turn off the exit, I have seen the D flashing in the dashboard along with a wrench. The car loses acceleration and it feels as if Im in neutral. When I pull over and restart the car, the flashing disappears and I can continue driving it. I brought it to the shop and they did see a code P2711 but they felt like it would be resolved by changing the transmission fluid and filter. So we did that, but the car still didn't feel right and a few weeks later it happened again. I brought it to the dealer hoping that its the TCM, since I have a PZEV car that is covered under the 15 year 150K mile emissions warranty, but they said the clutch pack needs to be replaced. Cost to replace: $4,200 + tax lol They recommended to replace the transmission with a new one. Supposedly only 1 left in the country, and the cost to do that would be $9500 lol lol lol.....I was like "When can I pick up the car?". I went, picked it up, paid my $200 diagnostic charge, and then found the new clutch pack on ECS Tuning for $875 (it was 40% off). Now just getting quotes on the labor. Currently have $1,600 from one shop which includes the new transmission fluid, and $2,400 from the other shop, but they are also doing an alignment as they said it will be needed after the work is complete.

The car has 98k miles and is in pretty good condition, so I think its worth fixing. Especially since I have the PZEV Warranty. I was wondering if anyone has changed the clutch pack and has been ok or if it has not solved the problem. Thank You

fsures

Passed Driver's Ed
Why not check clutch pack replacement cost with a local VW independent garage. The stealer is always costly.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
False neutrals are a sign of a failing mechatronics unit, fairly common for dsgs unfortunately.
My PZEV warranty covers the TCM replacement, however the dealer is saying it’s the clutch pack that’s the problem. I’m assuming the mechatronics unit is the TCM. Not sure how to prove that is causing the issue and get it covered under the warranty, when they are saying it’s the clutch pack.