GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI leases in Nov-Dec

nychot

First, a question. do you think the sign then drive program will be carried over through december? it usually is. I have an offer on a base 2 door under the STD promotion. $344 a month including $20 tax. Out the door is $450. 10k a year for 36 months.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Phone the dealer and ask, that would be your best bet. Welcome to the board!!!!:D

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
First, a question. do you think the sign then drive program will be carried over through december? it usually is. I have an offer on a base 2 door under the STD promotion. $344 a month including $20 tax. Out the door is $450. 10k a year for 36 months.

i'm currently leasing a fully loaded 2011 autobahn GTI for $350/m with 10k a year for 36 months...

i did put $3500 down though....

i still think you could get a better deal.

Antonio Monteiro

Ready to race!
Man with that much down payment for a car you KNOW you don't own, you would be better off to save an extra 2k and buy the car! $3,500 down & 350 per month that is to much for a lease.
I put down $7K, my payment is $400 month + $100 per month for full insurance coverage...
Loan is for 48 months & I got 1.9% APR sorry only if you have excellent credit.

quicksilver32

I just leased a 2011 DSG 4dr with Sunroof, Nav, mat kit and protection package. They leased it to me for true dealer invoice and they kicked in $500 and made the first payment. With absolutely no downpayment, I got her for 3yr. 12k per year. Total monthly payment to the cent is $476.82. However, I went through an independent broker who's best friend owns a VW dealer and got the vehicle for dealer cost...

LIGTI1

i know you guys are against putting money down on a lease but its the only way for me to get into a car right now while keeping my payments low, so please be easy on my and tell me if i got a good deal.3 years $1500 down $364 a month 10k miles yr, sunroof package...any thoughts???

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
i know you guys are against putting money down on a lease but its the only way for me to get into a car right now while keeping my payments low, so please be easy on my and tell me if i got a good deal.3 years $1500 down $364 a month 10k miles yr, sunroof package...any thoughts???

Sounds good to me - but I'm new here.
Sure, the general "rule" is don't put money down on a car you don't own, but who's to say what is right for someone else?
I may do the same thing myself.
Why?
I'd rather put 3k down, and have lower monthly payments - then get rid of the car in 36 months when the warrenty is up.

This is more preferable to me than putting down 7k or more, having higher monthly payments - and then owning the car 3 years later and possibly fixing the DSG on my own coin.
Then selling my own car down the line...

Is it ultimately more cost effective?
Do I care what's ultimately more cost effective?
It's ultimately more cost effective to keep my current car which was paid off a year ago.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
NEVER put money down on a lease. EVER.

I would imagine Sign and Drive will be carried over, but you never know.

Unless your a business person, I say, never EVER do a lease.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
While everyone wants a good deal, what is ultimately the most cost effective long term deal is not everyones biggest concern.
Buying a new car in general is a terrible long term financial deal compared to buying used.
Point is, there are a lot of people out there who will gladly pay more in the long term (if that is indeed the case) just for the sake of convenience.
Not only that, but you've got to think about having more of your monthly income available to you - or shelling it out to the dealer.
Once the 36 months are up, if you own the car - repairs are yours.
I don't know what a new DSG goes for on one of these cars, or a new engine like has happened down under, but I assure you these things are not cheap and plunking down a grand or so on the spot for a big repair is no joke
Around my neck of the woods, and at my job - I don't think I know anyone who has actually purchased their new car.
It's lease it for three years, and give it back when the warranty is up, the N. East/NY roads have beaten the piss out of it and you're bored of it anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against buying if that's what is right for you and haven't totally ruled it out as I intend to compare the numbers when the time comes.
I just find it comes off as bashing when leasing is derided on forums by buyers.

Last edited:

Purie

Passed Driver's Ed
IMO if you only have the car for a couple years you should absolutely lease. You would save a ton on taxes (depending on what state you live in) and interest. You typically get a worse deal if you put zero down on the lease because you'll be leasing more then the cap cost (I think). To get the best deal your going to have to put down 1st months payments, tax, reg., and fees, usually around $600-$800 for a car around $30k.

I wasted tons of money buying cars with loans and then selling them a year or two later. A lease was recommended to me by my finance guy.

If you want to own the car for over 3 years then should buy a one year older model and don't go over 60 months (used car rates aren't as good as new so you want to keep the interest low). If you credit is tier 1 and you can get 0% apr on a new car then thats the absolute smartest investment.

In my case I was able to lease a $40k car for $556 inc tax a month and I'm in the middle of getting it ready to sell after owning it a year. If this was a loan I would be badly upside down but since I leased I might break even.

SlvrSmri

I leased my GTI with 2880 down and 474/mo with 25K/yr, all maintenance is covered, full car replacement if totalled with no questions asked, and it covers all wear and tear, scratches dents, anything. I have a full-time job in silicon valley, but I also occasionally work as a cracker consultant. So, the whole thing is a write-off for me. In three years I'll get a brand new car. :) I'm an owner of a 2006 Tundra Double Cab SR5, and I'm familiar with the maintenances costs if its getting done by master mechanics and on time. I got sick of paying for the gas for that thing as a commuter, im paying less now just leasing that car, plus the fact its leased in the business name, which makes it fully legit as a write-off. im a single guy getting taxed almost 39%, even if i dont do any side-work, I just get a new business license in three years and lease a new car under that name. i mean really, if you could write stuff off, why wouldnt you? its your money, you earned it. you're giving it away to the gov't already, may as well just give it to volkswagen instead! lol

Last edited:

GTiNYPD

Passed Driver's Ed
i got a 2011 black gti 4 door fully loaded, with 10k a yr and $2000 down for $429 a month, i think its a pretty good deal

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
Buying a new car in general is a terrible long term financial deal compared to buying used.

I know you said 'in general' but, believe it or not, that really isn't the case.

Last year, Cash for Clunkers took about 3/4 a million viable cars off the road. The economy is in the absolute shitter, so folks are holding onto their keys for a lot longer than they used to. This pushes the prices up, from the 30 year old rusted out El Camino to the gently-used hyperpremium '09 whatchamacolits.

Before I bought my '10, my goal was to find a 1-3 year old hatch that had <30k on the odometer. The prices on the lots and online made me rub my eyes.

Had to go new, no justifying paying nearly 20k for a MkV with 30,000 mysterious miles on the odometer.